Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > Mac Applications and Mac App Store

Old Feb 8, 2008, 01:53 AM   #1
schrysco
macrumors newbie

Mail: Delayed or Manual Mark as Read?

Love how fast & simple Mail is compared to the old version of Entourage I was using. The one thing that drives me nuts though is the lack of a manual or delayed "mark as read" feature.

With over a hundred emails coming in a day, the best & most efficient way for me to keep track of who I've replied to & what I've taken care of is to leave certain emails as "unread." Mail, however, marks everything as read the second you click on it.

I've seen a few people post about this, and the fact that it would be such a simple addition to the program is what I find so frustrating! I'm aware that I can close the preview pane if I don't want messages marked as read, but this works against my normal working style.

Any idea if there's a plug-in or some way to force Mail into only marking as read after 5 seconds, or after I manually mark each email with a keystroke?

My hopes are low, but I'd be so happy if there was a solution. Already sent Apple a message requesting the feature.

thanks!
schrysco is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 2008, 11:58 AM   #2
schrysco
macrumors newbie

No thoughts?

I was hoping the latest OSX update would have taken care of this issue, but alas it hasn't. Has anyone found any solutions or workarounds for this?
schrysco is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2010, 02:25 PM   #3
peterkirring
macrumors newbie

2 year anniversary?

New to mac, I DESPERATELY need this feature too!
Does anyone know if anything has happened re. this in the preceding two years / alternatively of any plug-ins that will fix?
Any help much appreciated!
peterkirring is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2010, 02:35 PM   #4
miles01110
macrumors 604

You can mark a message as read by right-clicking and choosing "Mark -> As Read."
Old Feb 11, 2010, 03:19 PM   #5
peterkirring
macrumors newbie

Hello miles01110.

Thanks for replying, but the problem is that (as posted in the original post) Mail marks an email as read the second you read it, or moves the marker over it.
In Outlook you can set an option so the read/unread status only changes upon user's mouse or keyboard input, or when replied/forwarded...

That's how I've managed my emails for years - a quick scan of the inbox, mark unimportant or non-action mails as read, and change to "show only unread mails" - which then becomes my to-do list for the day
Old Feb 11, 2010, 04:43 PM   #6
miles01110
macrumors 604

I realize this. It can't be done in Mail. The best you can do is re-mark the ones you want as read (or unread) with the above method.
Old Feb 12, 2010, 03:20 AM   #7
peterkirring
macrumors newbie

Despair!
Thunderbird for Mac it is then... :-)
Old Feb 21, 2011, 09:09 AM   #8
mnadig
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterkirring View Post
Despair!
Thunderbird for Mac it is then... :-)
+1 there... off to get thunderbird

[2 min later...] but wait... just found trupreview plugin for mac mail http://christianserving.org/project/truepreview. Reviews are good. Downloading now.

Installed - configured to delay 5s by default. Ah, this is a good start to the week.

Last edited by mnadig; Feb 21, 2011 at 09:17 AM.
mnadig is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2011, 09:27 AM   #9
Dizzler
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnadig View Post

[2 min later...] but wait... just found trupreview plugin for mac mail http://christianserving.org/project/truepreview. Reviews are good. Downloading now.

Installed - configured to delay 5s by default. Ah, this is a good start to the week.
I never use Apple mail because it doesn't have features I want. This one looks interesting and going in the right direction. Let us know how you like it after a week or so of using it. I'd also like to know if it affects syncing with iPhone's mail. Or maybe not at all?
Dizzler is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17, 2011, 05:39 PM   #10
irha
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnadig View Post

Thank you so much for the link, I am a new mac user and trying to compare the default Mail app and Thunderbird against the Entourage that I already had installed, and almost gave up on Mail because of the lack of the feature to delay marking email as read. Thanks to TruePreview, Mail is at least decent and can see if I would like it or not.

Last edited by irha; Mar 17, 2011 at 05:39 PM. Reason: typo
irha is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > Mac Applications and Mac App Store