Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > PowerPC Macs

Old Feb 8, 2008, 07:34 PM   #1
garsue
macrumors newbie

Need help Unlocking iBook

Received ibook that belonged to a dead relative(rip) but it requires a user ID and password to log on and we have no clue what it is or how to reset it. Please help.
garsue is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 2008, 07:38 PM   #2
TEG
macrumors 604

Send a message via ICQ to TEG Send a message via AIM to TEG Send a message via MSN to TEG Send a message via Yahoo to TEG Send a message via Skype™ to TEG
Use an OSX Installer disc (of the same version), start up the computer, insert the disc, restart. As soon as you hear the bong sound, hold down C. Once the Installer starts, select the menubar and a menu will give you access to a place to reset the password (can't remember what it is called as I'm not near my Mac, nor have I had to do it.).

TEG
Old Feb 8, 2008, 07:41 PM   #3
garsue
macrumors newbie

Thanks Teg all we have is the iBook, we do not have the OSX installer disc...we probably threw it out ( I am sure we did)

anyway where can I get one? Forgive me, I've never used a MAC.
Old Feb 8, 2008, 07:44 PM   #4
TEG
macrumors 604

Send a message via ICQ to TEG Send a message via AIM to TEG Send a message via MSN to TEG Send a message via Yahoo to TEG Send a message via Skype™ to TEG
If you live near an Apple Store, one of their Geniuses could help. Also, because it is quite likely that the iBook is running Tiger or Panther, contacting the IT Manager at your local school district might work, or looking on Craigslist. Do you by chance know what kind of iBook it is, or how fast it is?

By the way, TEG is an acronym, so please use all caps, whereas Mac is not.

TEG
Old Feb 8, 2008, 07:49 PM   #5
garsue
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEG View Post
If you live near an Apple Store, one of their Geniuses could help. Also, because it is quite likely that the iBook is running Tiger or Panther, contacting the IT Manager at your local school district might work, or looking on Craigslist. Do you by chance know what kind of iBook it is, or how fast it is?

By the way, TEG is an acronym, so please use all caps, whereas Mac is not.

TEG
No to the bolded, we know nothing about it...ooops sorry TEG Mac
Old Feb 8, 2008, 08:13 PM   #6
JDR
macrumors regular

Like TEG said, I'd probably bring it to an Apple Store, and most likely they'll understand the situation. Are you looking to extract information from the computer, or just use it personally? (or both?)
since 2005
JDR is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 9, 2008, 06:05 PM   #7
garsue
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDR View Post
Like TEG said, I'd probably bring it to an Apple Store, and most likely they'll understand the situation. Are you looking to extract information from the computer, or just use it personally? (or both?)
just to use it.
Old Feb 9, 2008, 06:23 PM   #8
galstaph
macrumors 6502a

You can always pick up a copy of tiger (or the ibook discs themselves) cheap nowadays... I have three sitting around.... I'm sure I'm not the only one

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > PowerPC Macs