Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

steffi

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 7, 2003
so I have one of OWC's Mercury on the Go enclosures from a long time ago and it's only FW 400 ... and I think I can use the drive that's in it as an external drive for Time Machine etc for the MacBook Air.

Just need a good reliable Prolific based USB 2.0 external enclosure. I don't think the $10 ones you see on Ebay are considered to me very good controller wise.

These days I consider the "On the Go" design to be too big.

JasonBourne9

macrumors member
Jan 15, 2008
so I have one of OWC's Mercury on the Go enclosures from a long time ago and it's only FW 400 ... and I think I can use the drive that's in it as an external drive for Time Machine etc for the MacBook Air.

Just need a good reliable Prolific based USB 2.0 external enclosure. I don't think the $10 ones you see on Ebay are considered to me very good controller wise.

What is the capacity of your drive? If it isn't huge, you might consider the WD Passport drive as a whole replacement. I just picked up a 320GB for $166 and it is small, sleek, light and very easily bus powered. Makes a nice addition to the MBA.

Otherwise, I'm not sure what enclosure to recommend. Like you, my first instinct would have been to go to OWC.

sirozha

macrumors 68000
Jan 4, 2008

I love Vantec Nexstar 3 enclosures -- beatufully made and working great! I have not tried that with a Mac, but they work perfectly with a Windows laptop and my Infrant NAS appliance. The specs say that these enclosures work with Max OS 8.6 and above.

http://www.vantecusa.com/p_nst260u2.html

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.