Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Air

Old Feb 9, 2008, 10:34 AM   #1
steffi
macrumors 6502a

Can anybody recommend a 2.5 external HD enclsoure?

so I have one of OWC's Mercury on the Go enclosures from a long time ago and it's only FW 400 ... and I think I can use the drive that's in it as an external drive for Time Machine etc for the MacBook Air.

Just need a good reliable Prolific based USB 2.0 external enclosure. I don't think the $10 ones you see on Ebay are considered to me very good controller wise.

These days I consider the "On the Go" design to be too big.
steffi is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 9, 2008, 10:47 AM   #2
JasonBourne9
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by steffi View Post
so I have one of OWC's Mercury on the Go enclosures from a long time ago and it's only FW 400 ... and I think I can use the drive that's in it as an external drive for Time Machine etc for the MacBook Air.

Just need a good reliable Prolific based USB 2.0 external enclosure. I don't think the $10 ones you see on Ebay are considered to me very good controller wise.

What is the capacity of your drive? If it isn't huge, you might consider the WD Passport drive as a whole replacement. I just picked up a 320GB for $166 and it is small, sleek, light and very easily bus powered. Makes a nice addition to the MBA.

Otherwise, I'm not sure what enclosure to recommend. Like you, my first instinct would have been to go to OWC.
JasonBourne9 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 9, 2008, 03:11 PM   #3
sirozha
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by steffi View Post

I love Vantec Nexstar 3 enclosures -- beatufully made and working great! I have not tried that with a Mac, but they work perfectly with a Windows laptop and my Infrant NAS appliance. The specs say that these enclosures work with Max OS 8.6 and above.

http://www.vantecusa.com/p_nst260u2.html
sirozha is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Air