Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Air

Old Feb 9, 2008, 03:26 PM   #1
squaremon
macrumors regular

MacBook Air Random Click noise/ sound

I got my MBA for 2 days now. Everything works fine except I heard these randomly Click noise coming out from under the power button place every once a while . It only does it once everytime when it happens and the click sound goes less than a second. Is this suppose to be normal?
Thanks
squaremon is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 9, 2008, 03:47 PM   #2
clayj
macrumors 604

Does your MBA have a hard drive or an SSD? Some hard drives, particularly the PATA drives using in iPods and the new HD MBA, make clicking noises from time to time.
Old Feb 9, 2008, 03:49 PM   #3
deeznutz
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by squaremon View Post
I got my MBA for 2 days now. Everything works fine except I heard these randomly Click noise coming out from under the power button place every once a while . It only does it once everytime when it happens and the click sound goes less than a second. Is this suppose to be normal?
Thanks
I am having the same thing happen with my 1.6/80m very wierd have no idea what it is.
deeznutz is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 9, 2008, 03:50 PM   #4
squaremon
macrumors regular

I have a 80gb hard drive, is that normal? I called up apple tel service and they said they never heard any issues like that before and ask me to take it to apple retail store and check.

Last edited by squaremon; Feb 9, 2008 at 04:30 PM.
Old Feb 9, 2008, 04:34 PM   #5
baabaa90
macrumors member

It's the hard drive - had a similar click on previous iPods that I've previously owned. I suspect its something like the lever lifting off and on the platter of the hard drive - nothing to worry about.
Old Feb 9, 2008, 04:40 PM   #6
Cybergypsy
Banned

normal....
Cybergypsy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 9, 2008, 09:01 PM   #7
ExcelonGT
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cybergypsy View Post
normal....
agreed. This is common on 1.8" drives designed for portable use.
The sound you are hearing is the head "parking itself" during inactivity. Motion of the head coming to rest is rather abrupt and caused by magnetic force.

another selling point for the SSD i guess...
ExcelonGT is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 2008, 03:38 AM   #8
MacRumorUser
macrumors Demi-God

If it's 'normal' then I have an abnormal MBA as I have no clicking on the HDD

The machine remains deadly quiet at all times

Even when I was doing a complete OS re-install when I first got it, I never once heard any clicking coming from the HDD.

We do all have the same revision of HDD don't we ?

SAMSUNG HS082HB:

Capacity: 74.53 GB
Model: SAMSUNG HS082HB
Revision: NL101-06
Serial Number: S1BPJ16Q118177
MacRumorUser is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 2008, 05:15 AM   #9
ruokay
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by squaremon View Post
.... I called up apple tel service and they said they never heard any issues like that before and ask me to take it to apple retail store and check.

haha.. they ever heard any issues like that before? IT JUST CAME OUT!
ruokay is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 2008, 07:25 AM   #10
ruutiveijari
macrumors regular

There's a software floating around the internet that doesn't let the HDD park itself. It of course makes it more vulnerable to data loss and doesn't let the HDD spin down which eats battery.

I just don't remember what it was called. I used it with an older PB because the clicking was driving me crazy.
ruutiveijari is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 2008, 07:38 AM   #11
Cybergypsy
Banned

Mine does it maybe once a hout if that....does not bother me a bit...
Cybergypsy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 2008, 09:02 AM   #12
ahaxton
macrumors 6502a

Mine did it one time when my MBA was overheating yesterday.
Old Feb 11, 2008, 02:29 AM   #13
tnkgrl
macrumors newbie

I'm hearing a series/burst of (louder than normal) clicks every now and then when my MacBook Air (1.6 GHz, HDD) is doing extensive file I/O...

It doesn't sound right! If it does it more often I'll have it looked at...
tnkgrl is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2008, 02:32 AM   #14
netdog
macrumors 603

Isn't the hard drive on the other side? (that is to say on the other side from the power button)
Old Feb 11, 2008, 10:07 AM   #15
abijnk
macrumors 68040

Send a message via AIM to abijnk
Quote:
Originally Posted by netdog View Post
Isn't the hard drive on the other side? (that is to say on the other side from the power button)
No, it is under the power switch, if you look at the teardown photos you can see that.

Has anyone heard a high-pitched squeak with this? I've heard the clicking, and I know thats normal, but mine has started squeaking now too. Is that normal as well?
abijnk is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2008, 10:16 AM   #16
saisrujan
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by abiyng87 View Post
No, it is under the power switch, if you look at the teardown photos you can see that.

Has anyone heard a high-pitched squeak with this? I've heard the clicking, and I know thats normal, but mine has started squeaking now too. Is that normal as well?
I thought that's the sound for an invalid operation, like typing at a place where you're not allowed to type. It sounds like a frog in pain. Doesn't it?
Old Feb 11, 2008, 10:20 AM   #17
abijnk
macrumors 68040

Send a message via AIM to abijnk
Quote:
Originally Posted by saisrujan View Post
I thought that's the sound for an invalid operation, like typing at a place where you're not allowed to type. It sounds like a frog in pain. Doesn't it?
That's exactly the sound!!! LOL, great way to describe it. I guess that could be it, but I thought that sound came form the OS?? I'm pretty sure my speakers were muted... I could be wrong though. I'll just have to keep an eye on it.
abijnk is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2008, 11:53 AM   #18
Sandy Santra
macrumors 6502

Comes with the territory. Same deal with iPods. Getting an iPhone brought me great joy--no more clicking, ever! Same deal with the MBA: getting the SSD will eliminate clicking. What price quiet!
Old Feb 11, 2008, 11:58 AM   #19
squaremon
macrumors regular

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacRumorUser View Post
If it's 'normal' then I have an abnormal MBA as I have no clicking on the HDD

The machine remains deadly quiet at all times

Even when I was doing a complete OS re-install when I first got it, I never once heard any clicking coming from the HDD.

We do all have the same revision of HDD don't we ?

SAMSUNG HS082HB:

Capacity: 74.53 GB
Model: SAMSUNG HS082HB
Revision: NL101-06
Serial Number: S1BPJ16Q118177
Yes same HDD
Old Feb 11, 2008, 12:00 PM   #20
chp5592
macrumors regular

I too hear the clicking from the right side of the computer/keyboard area. Not bothersome, but I was not used to hearing this for awhile. Most modern 2.5 inch laptop hardrives have eliminated such clicking sound. I guess 1.8 inch is another story. I have an older 30gb video ipod and I've never heard the clicking sound before.
Old Feb 22, 2008, 08:36 PM   #21
typester
macrumors newbie

click click.........click click........click click.........

clicking is driving me CRAZY, i have 1.8 65gb SSD. it is non-stop clicking and i am going to go CRAZY if it doesn't stop. i haven't really installed a ton of stuff but the issue with Parallels and Windows XP kept me from working all day!! i had to pull my windnose machine out to finish some stuff.

PLEASE someone help with these 2 issues or i will be forced to take this SWEET machine back.

p.s. i love it as far as sleekness, speed seems to be good, parallels WHEN it is running seems very fast, but the Black Message of DEATH is a little scary every 10 minuets though!!!
typester is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2008, 11:28 PM   #22
clayj
macrumors 604

Quote:
Originally Posted by typester View Post
clicking is driving me CRAZY, i have 1.8 65gb SSD. it is non-stop clicking and i am going to go CRAZY if it doesn't stop. i haven't really installed a ton of stuff but the issue with Parallels and Windows XP kept me from working all day!! i had to pull my windnose machine out to finish some stuff.

PLEASE someone help with these 2 issues or i will be forced to take this SWEET machine back.

p.s. i love it as far as sleekness, speed seems to be good, parallels WHEN it is running seems very fast, but the Black Message of DEATH is a little scary every 10 minuets though!!!
If you really have an SSD, and not a hard drive, in your MBA and it is clicking, call the Apple Store and arrange an exchange. The only moving part in an SSD-equipped MBA is the fan, and that should not be making any noise other than normal fan noises.

If you have a hard drive, then the clicking is normal. You can try to do an exchange, but those PATA HDs are famous for clicking when the heads park.
Old Feb 22, 2008, 11:37 PM   #23
ahaxton
macrumors 6502a

I'm really dumb (SSD). That one time clicking (May have been more of a pop) thing I think was just something inside the MBA. I heard the noise only one time so far, so I guess it isn't anything bad. It was during HighDef playback so might just have been something to do with heat. What does a hard drive click sound like anyways?
Old Feb 23, 2008, 12:28 AM   #24
squaremon
macrumors regular

My MBA is clicking more and more. Plus there was a loud BEEP today right after a click. I managed to video taped it. I'll try to find a way and post the video
Old Feb 23, 2008, 09:22 PM   #25
somecows
macrumors member

I really hate situations like this, because clearly a lot of people are hearing a weird noise, but there never seems to be any consensus on whether its "normal" or not. My new air (the $1799 one) emits a clicking sound from the area of my right hand rest very regularly. I would say every 10 seconds. I took it to the apple store today and although they were very nice, they said they didn't hear anything. Which is annoying because whether the noise is normal or not, its definitely *there*. Anyhow I don't know anything about hard drives, is the type of drive in my air more likely to make a clicking sound than the drive in my old macbook pro. because it never made a peep.
somecows is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Air