Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

saving107

macrumors 603
Original poster
Oct 14, 2007
San Jose, Ca
since I updated to the new firmware 1.1.3, my phone has been making random phone calls to people in my contacts list without me knowing. I keep my phone on my belt clip and several times i've gotten phone calls back from my friends asking me why I just called them an left a 3 minute voice mail of noise or conversations in the background. its made phone calls wile im at work, driving or just at home, and the iPhone has no physical buttons to accidently dial a number, and its too many steps to "slide to unlock", touch phone, search contacts and then dial to accidently do wile im driving and the phone is in my pocket.

has anyone else had this same problem, if not then Im going to be calling Apple to see what they can do

i bought my phone on iDay and i am running an un-hacked firmware 1.1.3
ive turn my phone off then back on, and ive done a complete restore, and it still does it.

toxicbomber

macrumors 6502a
Jun 19, 2006
since I updated to the new firmware 1.1.3, my phone has been making random phone calls to people in my contacts list without me knowing. I keep my phone on my belt clip and several times i've gotten phone calls back from my friends asking me why I just called them an left a 3 minute voice mail of noise or conversations in the background. its made phone calls wile im at work, driving or just at home, and the iPhone has no physical buttons to accidently dial a number, and its too many steps to "slide to unlock", touch phone, search contacts and then dial to accidently do wile im driving and the phone is in my pocket.

has anyone else had this same problem, if not then Im going to be calling Apple to see what they can do

i bought my phone on iDay and i am running an un-hacked firmware 1.1.3
ive turn my phone off then back on, and ive done a complete restore, and it still does it.

THE IPHONE SHUFFLE... sorry I just couldn't resist. :D:);)

GeekLawyer

macrumors 68020
I've never had this issue with my iPhone and I've had it since iDay, too.

With my old phones, I'd always unintentionally call people when the phone was in my pocket. The "Slide to Unlock" has made that a thing of the past... for me. Sounds like you need Apple's intervention.

nolimit84

macrumors newbie
Feb 12, 2008
well..i *get* random phone calls.

It seems like my contacts are calling me, i pick it up...its just random noise. I call them back, they tell me they didn't call me. This has happened about 4-5 times already. I still have the old .1 firmware..

rayward

macrumors 68000
Mar 13, 2007
Houston, TX
My wife's iPhone makes random calls. Or at least she says it does...

I don't know whether it's a glitch, or because she has it loose in her purse and didn't put the phone to sleep before putting it away. She has an unhacked, updated to 1.1.3 phone - the same as me. I don't have this problem.

DiamondMac

macrumors 68040
Aug 11, 2006
Washington, D.C.
I have had this happen ONLY BECAUSE I will not lock my phone, put it in my pocket, and the bouncing around presses a few buttons.

I ended up calling 2-3 people I hadn't spoke to in YEARS because of it.

Akward :eek:

Consultant

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
well..i *get* random phone calls.

It seems like my contacts are calling me, i pick it up...its just random noise. I call them back, they tell me they didn't call me. This has happened about 4-5 times already. I still have the old .1 firmware..

That's because those people don't have iPhones. They are too lazy to lock their candybar phones, thus the phones dial by mistake as their phones bump around and random buttons gets pushed.

That's THEIR FAULT, will happen no matter what phone you have.

lakerholic

macrumors newbie
Aug 3, 2007
Lock your phone. If you don't, even sliding it back into your holster might simulate a tap on the phone.

Happens to my dad (newbie iPhone user) ALL THE TIME. Just train yourself to click the top button when you're finished with your call and your problem should disappear.

Oskee2001

macrumors regular
Feb 14, 2008
Me too!

Long time lurker, first time poster!

Anyway, this happened to me today....my iphone was on my desk at work and i hadn't touched it in hours. My dad calls me on my landline and says he just missed my call...i said i had no idea what he was talking about. He says he has a missed call from me that was made in the last two minutes -- but i didn't touch my phone!

if this continues, i may have to go to Apple.

By the way, i bought my phone from AT&T....do i go to them or to Apple?

nolimit84

macrumors newbie
Feb 12, 2008
That's because those people don't have iPhones. They are too lazy to lock their candybar phones, thus the phones dial by mistake as their phones bump around and random buttons gets pushed.

That's THEIR FAULT, will happen no matter what phone you have.

I wish that was the case, turns out my cousin "called" me at 2 am while sleeping! Even unlocked phones cant make those calls or can they? :confused:

Gurl2me

macrumors newbie
Feb 22, 2008
iPhone Random calls

Well I too have an iPhone from day one and it makes random phone calls. I had it on my desk yesterday while typing and I heard a small voice come from the direction of my phone and it was my sister yelling "hello" and then she told me I had called her. It also happended last night from my desk at home. My iPhone called my mom and she tried to "eavesdrop" (she knew what happened from previous random calls) on what my husband and I were discussing, she said it was boring so she hung up! :p So far it happens in spells and maybe once or twice a month, but this month it has been a busy little iPhone calling people ;):eek:

My son bought one three months ago and his iPhone calls randomly too! My student bought a new 16g one last week and his iPhone calls randomly as well.

I am not an idiot by no means and I updated/reset my iPhone two times and it keeps doing it. I do believe there is a "kink" in the OS system (whatever they use). My friends and family know if I "call" and do not speak, it is my iPhone telling them "hello". :)

However, I do wish they would fix this problem somehow because I have been lucky it has not called my doctor or boss yet!

gurl2me :p

stevoeddz

macrumors member
Feb 18, 2008
this has happened to me 2 times:

1st time- i was walking home from a friends house at about 12:30 am and my phone called the person whose house i was walking home from. They told me i left them a long 3 minute message. They were worried that something happened to me on the walk home. hahaha

2nd time- i was at a friends house and my iphone called my house. of course no one was home so i left a long message on my house answering machine. my parents had me listen to it when i got home. luckily i didnt say anything stupid. ;)

cubedweller

macrumors 6502
Nov 25, 2007
My phone loved to call only one of my friends. But it did so at random. One time it did it like 3 or 4 times in a 20 minute period while I was with him. I've since restored without using the backup -- haven't had the problem since.

tjcampbell

macrumors 6502a
Aug 14, 2006
Vancouver
Yes this has happened to me with my iPhone locked and in my jacket pocket. It has also happened to everyone I know that has an iPhone. I guess we just let it slip as the thing is just so damn cool!

GSA190

macrumors member
Feb 21, 2008
This is seriously unnacceptable. You should really e-mail apple and demand a new phone ( but be nice :) )

stevoeddz

macrumors member
Feb 18, 2008
im wondering that if i take my iphone and have the genius bar check it out if they would give me a replacement phone. the only problem is that these random calls only happen sometimes and i doubt it will happen when i take it in.

Anyone know what we can do about this problem?

NDimichino

macrumors 6502a
Jan 14, 2008
New Jersey
Mine did once last week, my sister called me and was just like "Yeah?" and I had no idea what she was talking about, and reminded her she called me. She said she had a missed call from me and sure enough, it was there in my recent calls, but I never made it... spooky.

edmart

macrumors newbie
Sep 15, 2009
So it's 2009 and 3 iphone models later APPLE hasn't fixed this damn issue. WTF are the waiting for? my old piece of crap nokia never did this.

spiritrose22

macrumors newbie
Dec 20, 2009
iPhone randomly includes muted 3rd parties on calls

My iPhone randomly called people in my contact list while I was on a phone call. The 3rd party called could voyeristically listen in on the phone conversation as the randomly called party was muted. I was made aware of this anomally from at least 5 different people in my contact list who called me to report this weird experience. The final straw was when my phone was by itself on the table. I was in the other room speaking to my son. I received a call on my house phone from one of my friends who reported that when she called me on my iPhone it immediately went into voicemail. At the end of the voicemail at the time she began her message the iPhone turned into a speaker and broadcast the conversation I was having with my son in the adjacent room.
I called the Apple Support line and the representative arranged an appointment with a Apple Genius at the local Apple store.
I was advised that this was probably a software issue, but he replaced my phone. I was advised not to reinstall the applications I had on the phone, as one of them was likely be to be culprit. He said that the software app most likely corrupted the phone software.

spiritrose22

macrumors newbie
Dec 20, 2009
iPhone randomly includes muted 3rd parties on calls

The Apple Store replaced my iPhone. The iPhone OS is 3.12. The Apple representative advised me NOT to restore my old applications in that he thought that there was some hidden application on my phone creating the random calling. Within the first week I made a call while at the same time my iPhone conferenced in a 3rd party in my contact list which was muted to me. This contact called me to let me know my phone is "doing it again."
That evening - December 23rd - I went to ATT and they replaced my SIM card. It has been about a week now and my iPhone hasn't called anyone, or turned into a muted spy speaker for one of my contacts to listen in on private conversations - as far as I know.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.