Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Analog Kid

macrumors G3
Original poster
Mar 4, 2003
My much beloved Dual 2.5 G5 fell over yesterday, and I made the jump to the 8-core Mac Pro today. The most nerve wracking thing about computer failures is always the fear of data loss-- I pretty much took the Time Machine drive, put it in the middle of the floor far enough away that nothing could fall on it and marked a perimeter around it for no one to enter.

Ok, I didn't go that far...

Anyway, in the same vein, the first thing I did when I got the new machine home was open it up and did an organ transplant from the old G5 to the new 8-core Xeon. I had two 500GB drives in a software RAID pair.

To my surprise, the Mac Pro is booting from them! All my data's here, a few settings are different, presumably because those are stored in NVRAM. I'm recopying all my photos to the stock drive before figuring out what to do with the old drive pair.

My question is: should I continue to run this way, or should I reformat them, reinstall Leopard on the pair and then restore from the Time Machine backup? I can't help but think that this isn't right. Looking at System Profiler, the difference between the stock disk and the RAID pair is that the stock drive is GUID and the old pair is APM (Apple Partition Map). Is there some sort of translation going on? Are all the Leopard system files universal, or am I running parts of it in Rosetta?

Thanks to anyone who knows more about this than I do...

Phil A.

Moderator emeritus
Apr 2, 2006
Shropshire, UK
Wirelessly posted (iPhone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/4A93 Safari/419.3)

I think the fact it's working at all on a system with a completely different architecture is an amazing feat and shows what a brilliant job Apple have done.
Having said all that, I personally would re-install to be on the safe side.

Analog Kid

macrumors G3
Original poster
Mar 4, 2003
Wirelessly posted (iPhone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/4A93 Safari/419.3)

I think the fact it's working at all on a system with a completely different architecture is an amazing feat and shows what a brilliant job Apple have done.
Having said all that, I personally would re-install to be on the safe side.

I agree-- I can think of like half a dozen reasons that should never have worked. Every time I buy a new Mac, I'm amazed at how smooth they make everything. Another case in point is networking-- the Apple store swore up and down that the Mac Pro had airport built in. It doesn't. Got it home and couldn't connect to the wireless network, but I strung a firewire cable between the new box and the Mac Mini on the desk and here I am writing to you...

Anyone else know the details of the different formats and systems?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.