Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > MacBytes.com News Discussion

Old Feb 10, 2008, 08:31 AM   #1
MacBytes
macrumors bot

How much more would you spend per month to get a 3G iPhone?

Category: Polls
Link: How much more would you spend per month to get a 3G iPhone?
Description:: Looking at AT&T’s current unlimited 3G data plans, we got to wondering… What if AT&T decides to charge iPhone users more per month for access to a high-speed 3G network if/when Apple releases a 3G model? How much more would you be willing to pay per month over the $20/month iPhone users currently pay to use the slower EDGE network?

Posted on MacBytes.com
Approved by Mudbug
MacBytes is offline   0
Old Feb 10, 2008, 09:04 AM   #2
Grimace
macrumors 68040

That would be a disastrous move for AT&T&T&T&T&T

Would they have two price tiers (EDGE and 3G) or just bump up everyone's rate plan? The latter would be an instant lawsuit and a way for people to get out of the contracts.

Not going to happen.
Grimace is offline   0
Old Feb 10, 2008, 09:21 AM   #3
elmo151

agree. they will have two tier pricing. one for current iphone users and a second for 3g users.

a more interesting question is apples pricing strategy. it appears they are dropping the 8 gig model for the 16 gig one and possibly cutting the 16 gig price. this leaves room in their pricing structure for a 16 gig 3G phone.
elmo151 is offline   0
Old Feb 10, 2008, 09:22 AM   #4
Acuity Mac Guru
macrumors newbie

If a 3G iPhone were to come out, it would certainly be positioned for the 2nd half of the year in time for the holiday buying season.

This will mean more iPhone revenue, and more market share.

With regards to pricing, I see AT&T charging a premium for the 3G service as a way to recover some of the lost revenue from all of the phones that are being "un-locked".

I would pay 10-20$ more for 3G,the current data plans for iPhone are still well below the plans for Blackberry, and with the new SDK and possible MS Exchange support coming, a lot more business users will be buying.

If they also allow you to tether your 3G iPhone to your laptops for data access, then that further cuts into AT&T revenue, so I would expect to see a higher price for 3G

Don't think you would see a lawsuit, I don't see AT&T allowing people to upgrade their phones a 2nd time without having to sign a new contract (Which was a pleasant surprise recently when they allowed users to upgrade to the 16G with no contract extension)

With a new contract comes new rates.
Acuity Mac Guru is offline   0
Old Feb 10, 2008, 09:28 AM   #5
ajx22
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acuity Mac Guru View Post
If a 3G iPhone were to come out, it would certainly be positioned for the 2nd half of the year in time for the holiday buying season.

This will mean more iPhone revenue, and more market share.

With regards to pricing, I see AT&T charging a premium for the 3G service as a way to recover some of the lost revenue from all of the phones that are being "un-locked".

I would pay 10-20$ more for 3G,the current data plans for iPhone are still well below the plans for Blackberry, and with the new SDK and possible MS Exchange support coming, a lot more business users will be buying.

If they also allow you to tether your 3G iPhone to your laptops for data access, then that further cuts into AT&T revenue, so I would expect to see a higher price for 3G

Don't think you would see a lawsuit, I don't see AT&T allowing people to upgrade their phones a 2nd time without having to sign a new contract (Which was a pleasant surprise recently when they allowed users to upgrade to the 16G with no contract extension)

With a new contract comes new rates.
Agreed!!

I had Blackberry plans since 1999 (actually before that; as I had the RIM "Interactive Messenger" - AKA "Inter@ctive Pager 950" prior)...and especialy with Rogers in Canada - they charge a huge premium for the very limited BB plans.

AT&T's unlimited data plan is fantastic; and I'd certainly pay ~$20/mth more for the speed benefits of a properly set-up 3G network.

~ Aloha ~
ajx22 is offline   0
Old Feb 10, 2008, 10:16 AM   #6
toomuchmac
macrumors member

Seeing as how you pay (and I) $50-$70 per month for 3G data access from Verizon or Sprint or AT&T on data/air cards, anything less than that for a 3G and tether-capable 3G iPhone would be a savings for some people. So, if they doubled the rate to $40 per month for unlimited data on the phone or a tethered computer, I still think that would be a bargain.

I don't know, but does VZW or Sprint charge more per month for B'berrys that you can tether via USB and access the data network on a computer? I think that would be the closest comparison.

If they come out with a 3G iPhone I would certainly upgrade asap. If they didn't allow tethering, I think I would finally have to join the jailbreak crowd in order to share the connection with a laptop.

I do hope that Apple will not only allow tethering but in true Apple form will do it in a brand new way that leap frogs everything out there (ie., bluetooth, wifi "sharing," etc.).
Old Feb 10, 2008, 10:56 AM   #7
slu
macrumors 68000

I would pay $0 more. Am I misunderstanding the big deal about 3G? Isn't it just a faster version of the same thing people have now, but it is only available in major cities? And some people are willing to pay double what they do now? You people are crazy. If anything, cell phone data transmission needs to become faster AND cheaper than it is now to gain widespread adoption. Remember that the VAST majority of users have no data plan of any sort.
Old Feb 10, 2008, 12:00 PM   #8
WarDogg
macrumors newbie

^ I agree! 0$ sounds good considering Sprints unlimited data is around $15-20... But since I get a discount, $5 max!
Old Feb 10, 2008, 01:31 PM   #9
peterjeter26
macrumors member

id pay double, i really need a faster internet. it would be nice to have mobile tv also
peterjeter26 is offline   0
Old Feb 10, 2008, 02:58 PM   #10
EagerDragon
macrumors 68020

Given that 3G service is not going to be everywhere you go, I assume edge or some other service will need to fit the gap.

It is possible that the $20.00 monthly plan for data will go to $30.00 per month due to the higher speed capabilities and due to the need to recover some of the expense of laying the new equipment.
Old Feb 10, 2008, 03:32 PM   #11
jayducharme
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by slu View Post
I would pay $0 more.
I agree. It's strange how we the customers expect to get hammered when a company upgrades its technology. Doesn't the company have to upgrade if it wants to stay competitive? Many people have avoided the iPhone because of EDGE. If AT&T offered 3G along with EDGE at the current iPhone price structure, wouldn't tons of more customers from other carriers suddenly switch to AT&T? It seems like the increased revenue from that alone would help cover AT&T's costs. I can't see the company having two tiers of prices, especially if a 3G iPhone is released. As time goes on, better technology is supposed to get cheaper, not more expensive.

But when 3G is finally introduced, I wonder how many people are going to hold out for the new UHF frequencies?
jayducharme is offline   0
Old Feb 10, 2008, 03:43 PM   #12
jb510
macrumors regular

No way would I pay more for 3G until coverage was on par with EDGE. Even then I'd only pay more if teathering was possible. Edge does everything I need for what is my secondary internet access device.
jb510 is offline   0
Old Feb 10, 2008, 04:08 PM   #13
LizKat
macrumors 68020

Quote:
I would pay $0 more. Am I misunderstanding the big deal about 3G? Isn't it just a faster version of the same thing people have now, but it is only available in major cities? And some people are willing to pay double what they do now? You people are crazy. If anything, cell phone data transmission needs to become faster AND cheaper than it is now to gain widespread adoption. Remember that the VAST majority of users have no data plan of any sort.

Hear, hear. I live in a 20 mile-long dead zone in a rural area, have data plan, MUST travel even to make use of EDGE.

Now if ATT, having acquired Dobson / Cell One, will make good on its promise to expand rural coverage, and actually will stick a tower somewhere that this corridor can see, I will look in my wallet again. Right now I'd rather spend the money on Chinese food.

Oh I forgot. I bought my MacBook Air with the Chinese food budget.
LizKat is offline   0
Old Feb 10, 2008, 06:36 PM   #14
iansilv
macrumors 6502a

$10 only if I can tether. And only if there is not some half- arsed requirement of blocking multiple computers from sharing access.

i have a sprint broadband modem right now- it is good, useful, and does its job. But to just take out the laptop, knowing it will tether to the iphone and hop on 3g for site demos would be incredible.

If I cant tether, I am not sure I will upgrade just for 3g- I would need to see a better screen- like the 800 by 480 rez that new sony ericson is demoing.

I love Apple's resolution independent tech with their os. that means that a higher resolution screen will just render things sharper. That would be nice.

So I figure if they bring out a new one with 3g, a higher rez screen, I will be sold. the application gaps are about to be filled in completely with the release of the sdk anyway.
iansilv is offline   0
Old Feb 10, 2008, 06:52 PM   #15
nagromme
macrumors G5

I'd like 3G but only if it costs NO more, adds no physical size, and causes no (or very little) reduction in the iPhone's current battery life.

Otherwise, EDGE will be very useful and I'd settle for that.

I'd love to tether at any speed--but probably wouldn't use it often enough to be worth spending more a month. Still, it would be nice to activate that for a month here and there, at times when I travel. Sadly, I don't have high hopes for AT&T allowing this.

Third party apps probably will--but I bet we won't like AT&T's response to that.
nagromme is offline   0
Old Feb 11, 2008, 04:28 AM   #16
winterspan
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by toomuchmac View Post
Seeing as how you pay (and I) $50-$70 per month for 3G data access from Verizon or Sprint or AT&T on data/air cards, anything less than that for a 3G and tether-capable 3G iPhone would be a savings for some people. So, if they doubled the rate to $40 per month for unlimited data on the phone or a tethered computer, I still think that would be a bargain.

I don't know, but does VZW or Sprint charge more per month for B'berrys that you can tether via USB and access the data network on a computer? I think that would be the closest comparison.

If they come out with a 3G iPhone I would certainly upgrade asap. If they didn't allow tethering, I think I would finally have to join the jailbreak crowd in order to share the connection with a laptop.

I do hope that Apple will not only allow tethering but in true Apple form will do it in a brand new way that leap frogs everything out there (ie., bluetooth, wifi "sharing," etc.).
bluetooth internet sharing has been possible with WinMo for years...
winterspan is offline   0
Old Feb 11, 2008, 05:16 AM   #17
johnnyjibbs
macrumors 68030

Send a message via AIM to johnnyjibbs Send a message via MSN to johnnyjibbs
Reading this thread has been hilarious. You all talk as if 3G is new technology but it's been around here for 3-4 years at least!

The UK Government ripped off the mobile companies so much when they handed out the licences (to try and grab a massive piece of a massive pie which they missed out in when mobiles first took off) that the mobile carriers had to rip people off to use the 3G network. However, now they generally can't give the phones away as people failed to see the point in paying £2 to watch a football goal or 40p/min to see the person they were calling. Now, you only pay for the 3G in the handset, but you can get the same call plans as other phones. But as most phones are now 3G anyway, 3G is effectively 'free', i.e. no extra cost to buying a non-3G phone.

Apple would not be able to get away with charging higher per-month fees for 3G customers (as it is the expected norm now); nor would they particularly want to create a 2-tier iPhone market. O2 meanwhile, will be familiar with this and will be looking not to screw its customers.
johnnyjibbs is offline   0
Old Feb 11, 2008, 06:58 AM   #18
Loge
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyjibbs View Post
The UK Government ripped off the mobile companies so much when they handed out the licences (to try and grab a massive piece of a massive pie which they missed out in when mobiles first took off) that the mobile carriers had to rip people off to use the 3G network.
The 3G licenses were auctioned, weren't they? So if the mobile companies paid too much, they only have themselves to blame.
Loge is offline   0
Old Feb 11, 2008, 07:12 AM   #19
MacBoobsPro
macrumors 603

Send a message via AIM to MacBoobsPro
I personally wouldnt pay extra for 3G. However if 3G users got the same deal as EDGE users then there would be rioting the world over. So really Apple has to charge extra for 3G (unfortunately).
MacBoobsPro is offline   0
Old Feb 11, 2008, 09:47 AM   #20
wildmilne
macrumors regular

I get better 3G coverage in Indonesia (not even jakarta) than i do in washington DC.

We pay $20/mo for unlimited 3G with non iphones on AT&T you think they are going to charge iPhone users more than other users?
wildmilne is offline   0
Old Feb 11, 2008, 11:17 AM   #21
slu
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacboobsPro View Post
I personally wouldnt pay extra for 3G. However if 3G users got the same deal as EDGE users then there would be rioting the world over. So really Apple has to charge extra for 3G (unfortunately).
Why would there be rioting? People with EDGE only iPhones knew that going in and they can always upgrade.

I have the exact opposite opinion. I don't think Apple can charge any more for a 3G phone and I don't think AT&T can charge any more for service or else they will lose out to completion.

I think the most likely scenario is that an EDGE/3G iPhone replaces the current EDGE only iPhone at the same price point for the phone and the service. Anything else is just going to keep customers away.
Old Feb 11, 2008, 11:28 AM   #22
MacBoobsPro
macrumors 603

Send a message via AIM to MacBoobsPro
Quote:
Why would there be rioting? People with EDGE only iPhones knew that going in and they can always upgrade.

I have the exact opposite opinion. I don't think Apple can charge any more for a 3G phone and I don't think AT&T can charge any more for service or else they will lose out to completion.

I think the most likely scenario is that an EDGE/3G iPhone replaces the current EDGE only iPhone at the same price point for the phone and the service. Anything else is just going to keep customers away.
There would be 'rioting' because EDGE people will be paying the same as 3G users for an slower service. I couldnt give a rats ass personally as I hardly ever use the web on my phone away from a wireless connection (until my airport died that is) but people dont like to 'feel' like they are getting a raw deal.
MacBoobsPro is offline   0
Old Feb 11, 2008, 12:08 PM   #23
PaulMoore
macrumors regular

Quote:
I already have a 3G capable phone on AT&T and to the best of my knowledge there's only one data package- it just depends on your physical location whether you get 3G speed or Edge speed. (I have no data plan)

Introducing a new tier of pricing just because the iPhone is finally catching up with other handsets in that regard would be absurd.
PaulMoore is offline   0
Old Feb 11, 2008, 12:29 PM   #24
reverie
macrumors regular

Looking at current iPhone sales (1 million per quarter and twice that in the Holiday quarter) what Apple needs in order to sell 10 million iPhones this year are cheaper devices and plans, not more expensive ones. I think after the next iPhone is introduced they absolutely have to keep the EDGE iPhone on the market for $299, or introduce an iPhone nano for $249.

Midterm, $59+ for a monthly plan is just impossible if you want more than 1 % marketshare. It doesn't matter if that's a good deal for data or how many software innovations Apple has in store for the iPhone platform. Most consumers just don't want to spend that much, especially in Europe. There will have to be $39 plans and $199 iPhones sooner or later.
reverie is offline   0
Old Feb 11, 2008, 01:20 PM   #25
chelsel
macrumors 6502

Two-tier pricing, Edge vs 3G

I'd pay more for 3G than Edge... but only if the price of Edge was reduced and the price of 3G was the same as current Edge!
chelsel is offline   0

MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > MacBytes.com News Discussion