Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MCCJK

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 9, 2008
I have a iMac G5 with built in airport extreme and I want to connect to my Apple TV wirelessly. I also have DSL that is connected to my mac ethernet port. Can someone please tell me how to wirelessly connect my ATV. I can create a wireless connection from my DSL modem to my ATV to access internet content on the ATV, but I don't see the ATV in my itunes device list (I do have the 'Look for Apple TV's' box checked). Any help would be much appreciated.

spicoli

macrumors member
Apr 1, 2007
You need to tell the :apple:TV to connect to iTunes. On the :apple:TV, go to Setting>Sources>Connect to New iTunes. It will give you a code. :apple:TV should then show up in iTunes with a notice to enter code from :apple:TV. That should do it.

spicoli

macrumors member
Apr 1, 2007
In iTunes preferences, you have "Look for AppleTV" checked. In the "The following Apple TVs are connected" list box, is yours listed?

My :apple:TV loses network connection on occasion, and a router, computer, :apple:TV restart gets me back on track.

MacBoobsPro

macrumors 603
Jan 10, 2006
First of all make sure your Airport card is turned on on your iMac. ;)

If this doesnt solve the problem try turning off your ATV at the wall, while leaving iTunes open on your computer. Turn the ATV back on then go to ATV/Sources/Connect to new iTunes. It should give you a code on your TV. Then go to iTunes and click 'click to setup' next to the AppleTV in 'devices' and it should ask you to put the code on your TV screen into iTunes. Once thats done it will start syncing your entire iTunes library to your ATV which is a bit stupid on Apples part because my iTunes library of 400GB won't fit onto my 30GB ATV. Cancel the sync by clicking the small 'x' in the top middle window of iTunes then sync what you want bearing in mind it will take quite a while.

MikieMikie

macrumors 6502a
Aug 7, 2007
Newton, MA
I have a iMac G5 with built in airport extreme and I want to connect to my Apple TV wirelessly. I also have DSL that is connected to my mac ethernet port. Can someone please tell me how to wirelessly connect my ATV. I can create a wireless connection from my DSL modem to my ATV to access internet content on the ATV, but I don't see the ATV in my itunes device list (I do have the 'Look for Apple TV's' box checked). Any help would be much appreciated.

Please check that your "security settings" in the Systems Preferences isn't stopping your Mac from finding the Apple TV. That happened to me.

MCCJK

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 9, 2008
I tried everything that you all have said and still it will not show up in itunes. I am extremely frusterated. Any more ideas?

MCCJK

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 9, 2008
My DSL modem has a built in router. I also have an airport express that just connected up to create a wireless network.

MCCJK

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 9, 2008
Yes. It connected fine and I have internet access (I can view movie trailers and you tube).

MacBoobsPro

macrumors 603
Jan 10, 2006
If MikieMikies tip above doesnt work check your Firewall to see if iTunes is allowing incoming connections. If not set it to allow incoming connections.

Also if you keep getting bugged by the security pop up window when you open iTunes (like a lot of people do) asking to Allow or Deny connections click 'Allow'.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.