Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

CmdrLaForge

macrumors 601
Original poster
Feb 26, 2003
around the world
Hi guys,

I just came across this article . The interesting part for me was this:

Word on the street is that Apple has been shopping ProApps around since late last summer, and a deal was close last fall. Now such rumors have reached a fevered pitch, with ProApps apparently sold with all but the final announcement to be made.

I cannot really believe it and I don't think somehow that Apple would make such a move.

LaForge

pilotError

macrumors 68020
Apr 12, 2006
Long Island
That's about the forth or fifth place I've read that rumor.

Could that be why they re-wrote iMovie? Eliminate the common code base.

CmdrLaForge

macrumors 601
Original poster
Feb 26, 2003
around the world
Did you read the comments that followed?

Sure I did - but I really wanted to hear the Feedback from the Macrumors community.

For me it is a really scary thought, but the more you think about . . .
- they never shipped Final Cut Server
- Aperture is lacking behind
- they dropped off NAB

Maybe there is more behind it ? I for sure don't hope so.

I think it would be a big mistake on Apples part.

Cheers
LaForge

surferfromuk

macrumors 65816
Feb 1, 2007
This is some of the purest FUD I've seen in a while.

Pro Apps shift macs - millions of them - If the Pro Apps collectively cost Apple $100 million a year it'd be good value.

netdog

macrumors 603
Feb 6, 2006
London
As (pardon the pun) an avid Aperture and FCE user, I would be somewhat less than thrilled with Apple selling this off. I invested in these products (as opposed to buying Lightroom and Adobe video software) because software is essentially on a subscription model, and I trusted Apple to continue to innovate and provide ever-improving interfaces and underlying technologies.

surferfromuk

macrumors 65816
Feb 1, 2007
As (pardon the pun) an avid Aperture and FCE user, I would be somewhat less than thrilled with Apple selling this off. I invested in these products (as opposed to buying Lightroom and Adobe video software) because software is essentially on a subscription model, and I trusted Apple to continue to innovate and provide ever-improving interfaces and underlying technologies.

And that's precisely the reaction this article is meant to create...

Fear, Uncertainty and Doubt - The enemy's chief weapon against Apple.

Indeed their only weapon since innovation isn't one of them.

The simple rule of thumb with any article about Apple is that if they seek to do damage to Apple's current or future reputation they are in 99% of cases total FUD - and in that sense seek to become self-fulfilling prophecy.

Think about what Apple has actually done in the last 5 years vs the endless rumors of faltering or impending woe. - how many of them turned out to be true ? Apple just keeps booming - and these endless articles just keep telling us how it's 'going to be worse soon' and how great the other stuff really is...

Anyway, back on point;

For example : Apple bought Emagic and immediately stopped the PC version - to get Logic users to buy macs.

There is no way Apple is going to trust their creative 'industry standard' niche.

yeroen

macrumors 6502a
Mar 8, 2007
Cambridge, MA
To paraphrase Steve Jobs in what is quickly becoming a running joke here at MR forums:

The issue is being worked, I suggest you calm down.

gkarris

macrumors G3
Dec 31, 2004
"No escape from Reality...”
That's about the forth or fifth place I've read that rumor.

Could that be why they re-wrote iMovie? Eliminate the common code base.

That would make sense - why the major change in iMovie? The old version was great!

Apple is become more "consumer" oriented. They do have a "Pro" platform, they provide the computer and OS, you Pros have to provide the Apps...

pdjudd

macrumors 601
Jun 19, 2007
Plymouth, MN
I think that with the release of Aperture 2.0 we can end this silly bit of speculation. Apple is not abandoning its pro Apps.

JohnMC

macrumors 6502
May 5, 2006
Duluth, MN
Yes, Apple is selling their pro apps... On the apple store. Fcp is availible for $1299. Shake is $499. Xsan is $999. Aperture will cost you $199.

Note: this was intended as pun based on the thread title.

JohnMC

kyleaa

macrumors regular
Jun 20, 2006
Apple has invested a lot into its Pro app line, it is doubtful that it would be looking for get rid of it when it is doing well.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.