Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Johnny Backer

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 9, 2008
OK, so I've created a few threads here reporting about my iPod Touch locking up where I have to reset it by holding down the two buttons for 10 seconds. I have done some troubleshooting and have determined the problem today.

This is VERY IMPORTANT. It turns out from what I have discovered is that it was my case: http://store.apple-touch.com/content/accessories/4-22--3116.htm

Perhaps cases with magnets in a different area would be ok, I don't know. I HAVE DETERMINED though, magnets at the bottom on one or both sides of the front circle button is NOT GOOD.

I've had two different iPod Touches crashing on me. One was /A and one /B One on 1.1.2 and one with 1.1.3 with apps. I've been running my new one, a /B with 1.1.3 and apps without any case for a while and it hadn't crashed. I decided I could put it back in my case, the one linked to above. I put it on my desk. It was sitting there for 30 minutes or less. I pick it up and flip open the lid. As I open the lid, I see the screen flash white and then the apple logo appears from the clean boot or whatever you want to call it. Mind you, the screen flashed white the INSTANT I open the lid.

What I believe is happening is that the magnets in the case are pulling something within the iPod Touch and shorting or causing some problem. I am 99% sure that this is the problem I have been having for the past two weeks with my two different iPod Touches.

Perhaps if you have a case that doesn't have as strong of magnets as the case I've mentioned, you may not experience this problem.

I am taking my case back and am going to look for something else that hopefully still has some type of flip lid to protect my screen, but not hold it on with magnets.

I send this out as a warning to all would be buyers of the case mentioned above or any case that may have magnets in, no matter how weak or strong they may be. You will save yourself a lot of headaches if you simply avoid purchasing any case with magnets.

I hope this helps people steer clear of the problems I've had to endure over these past two weeks.

If anybody knows of a iPod Touch case that does have a hard protection for the screen like the one I've mentioned and that doesn't use magnets, I am interested in a link or its name.

Thank you.

BrownManUPS

macrumors 6502a
Jul 30, 2007
Denver
If anybody knows of a iPod Touch case that does have a hard protection for the screen like the one I've mentioned and that doesn't use magnets, I am interested in a link or its name.

I use the Griffin "Reflect" Case. It's nice and comes with a screen protector!

RodThePlod

macrumors 6502a
Sep 7, 2005
London
I send this out as a warning to all would be buyers of the case mentioned above or any case that may have magnets in, no matter how weak or strong they may be. You will save yourself a lot of headaches if you simply avoid purchasing any case with magnets.

Might be an idea for you to contact Griffin to see if they have had any other reports of this type of problem with their cases...

Rod.

efedor

macrumors regular
Nov 18, 2007
I have the same case, and I have yet to have a problem with it. Maybe its a matter of when it was made? But i love the case, and no sigle problem, Ive had it for 2 months.

Virgil-TB2

macrumors 65816
Aug 3, 2007
OK, so I've created a few threads here reporting about my iPod Touch locking up ....
IT IS IMPORTANT that you actually test your claims and actually have some evidence of this effect. I HAVE DETERMINED that you are just blowing a lot of wind and have no proof of this at all.

Seriously, why the long-winded post that proves nothing yet scares everyone? :confused:

- what test did you perform to determine your result?
- what does the manufacturer say about it?
- how many others have this problem?

br1anc

macrumors regular
Jan 17, 2008
i have the DLO Hipcase with magnets and have had no related problems.
same here.

i actually wondered if the magnets in the case would do anything, but i decided that the magnets weren't strong enough to do anything. so, i haven't worried about it any.

mekopolis

macrumors regular
Feb 10, 2008
I experienced this twice

I recently bought the leather Flip Griffin Case for my ipod touch with two magnets down near the battery, and noticed it locked up the touch twice (when the touch was in the case for less than 1 minute) and required the home screen and sleep button to be held down for ten seconds roughly to reset it...

needless to say, I returned the case and will not buy any case with magnets in it (i didn't notice them at first)

Hook

macrumors newbie
Feb 2, 2008
Case magnets are NOT a problem. They are fairly weak. I know the Touch has no external speaker, but if magnets were a problem than PDAs with built in speakers would never make it off the shelf.:rolleyes: I used A Sena case with magnets on my PDA for years. In fact, the SD card storage was next to those magnets. No problems, ever.

The case manufacturer knows whether or not a magnet is going to cause harm.

It's fine to be cautious if you are uncomfortable with it, but, as others have said, don't start a scare without evidence.

brian9271

macrumors 6502
Jan 31, 2008
Next door
Case magnets are NOT a problem. They are fairly weak. I know the Touch has no external speaker, but if magnets were a problem than PDAs with built in speakers would never make it off the shelf.:rolleyes: I used A Sena case with magnets on my PDA for years. In fact, the SD card storage was next to those magnets. No problems, ever.

The case manufacturer knows whether or not a magnet is going to cause harm.

It's fine to be cautious if you are uncomfortable with it, but, as others have said, don't start a scare without evidence.

But are you sure, did you even check how strong the magnets are? You never know... You could risk it, this problem is not that rare you know

Hook

macrumors newbie
Feb 2, 2008
But are you sure, did you even check how strong the magnets are? You never know... You could risk it, this problem is not that rare you know

And your evidence for that last statement is?

No, I have not tested the specific case mentioned here, nor do I actually yet have a touch. However, I know enough about cases with magnets to know that clasp magnets, which have a much weaker magnetic field than your average PDA speaker, present no threat to electronics and storage media. Therefore, short of compelling evidence, I am going to assume that the manufacturer of these cases are using standard issue clasp magnets.

A few complaints in a forum is not a case of "not that rare." Forums always exaggerate problems since people come to them when they have problems (or questions) and not when things are going well. :)

Just my take on the situation. You should do whatever makes you comfortable.

Virgil-TB2

macrumors 65816
Aug 3, 2007
gear problem

Its for sure the magnets, because the magnets moves the stuff inside the ipod touch and so on...;)
No, this is wrong.

The click-wheel on the nano uses tiny little metal gears that might indeed be affected by the magnet. The touch's gears on the other hand are teflon and thus not affected.

The teflon gears *do* need to be lubricated now and then though so you might try cracking open the case and putting just a smidge of toothpaste on the main click-wheel gear. ;)

brian9271

macrumors 6502
Jan 31, 2008
Next door
No, this is wrong.

The click-wheel on the nano uses tiny little metal gears that might indeed be affected by the magnet. The touch's gears on the other hand are teflon and thus not affected.

The teflon gears *do* need to be lubricated now and then though so you might try cracking open the case and putting just a smidge of toothpaste on the main click-wheel gear. ;)

Why would you want to put toothpaste on the main click wheel gear, you would just ruin it ;)

Kkatyboo

macrumors member
Nov 28, 2007
ahh! my ipod is a flip case too... are you sureits the magnetsr? ive had this case for maybe a month now and nothing is wrong.

Johnny Backer

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 9, 2008
Umm magnets, unless really powerful don't have, a long range of effect. I'm waving a pretty strong magnet across my iphone and its doing nada.

Hi Fearless, can you try using the magnet and not waving it, but putting it up against it and then pulling it away. Can you please test this on the front of it at the bottom where the front circle button is?

I'm really quite interested in peoples results with this. Mine is a 2008 week 1. I'd especially be interested in anybody testing with magnets on the same 2008 week 1 touch.

Like some said, I did a long winded post. I don't really know how people wish me to prove it. I'm afraid I don't have the time to prove it... and to be honest, I'm not going to go waving the magnets in front of my Touch again to prove (or disprove) it. Maybe I made the title a little too dramatic, but I said to myself, I wish somebody had only warned me the same way before I purchased my iPod Touch case, so that I could at least make a decision that would avoid the POSSIBLE problem.

If anybody else can confirm magnets cause a problem as they are put at the bottom of the screen and pulled away from the iPhone / Touch, it would help confirm the problem.

As for me, I have already picked the two cases that I've settled on to replace the magnet one I mentioned. The one I had that caused this problem was bought when I bought my Touch, just because they had it and not really for any preference other than that it had the hard cover to the screen.

My new protection will include my Touch encased with the iFrogz http://ifrogz.com/products.php?cat=352&wrap_overlay=4054|touchtreadz case and then the Golla Camo http://store.apple-touch.com/content/accessories/4-25--2994.htm

Magnet free setup and pretty spiffy protection.

I hope somebody else is able to confirm these magnet problems. :(

deschipper

macrumors newbie
Feb 11, 2008
I seem to have a similarproblem altough I don't know if it's related to the magnets. When I connect the Ipod to the USB cable the system crashes sometimes.
I will check now, if it's happening when the ipod is in the case.

Fearless Leader

macrumors 68020
Mar 21, 2006
Hoosiertown
Hi Fearless, can you try using the magnet and not waving it, but putting it up against it and then pulling it away. Can you please test this on the front of it at the bottom where the front circle button is?

Hi,

I moved the magnet on my iphone just like I think a case would open, nada. This is my strongest non-electric magnet (i really don't want to go stronger than the electro magnets because they can erase hard drives, etc). It can move a fork with about 1/2" of wood between it and the fork. I also tried some magnets that would be the same size and strength, again nothing.

Sorry,

I don't doubt that there is something wrong going on with your touch (or maybe all touches), I'm just not able to recreate the results with your diagnosis.

Johnny Backer

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 9, 2008
Hi,

I moved the magnet on my iphone just like I think a case would open, nada. This is my strongest non-electric magnet (i really don't want to go stronger than the electro magnets because they can erase hard drives, etc). It can move a fork with about 1/2" of wood between it and the fork. I also tried some magnets that would be the same size and strength, again nothing.

Sorry,

I don't doubt that there is something wrong going on with your touch (or maybe all touches), I'm just not able to recreate the results with your diagnosis.

Thanks anyways. I guess this is good news, but really from what I found out for mine, it really does seem to be the magnets. I guess I could be completely wrong, but it sure looked like the magnets or perhaps something in the case was causing problems. Oh well. My new cases are ordered and I'm still taking my other one back. Probably more of a run around than I needed. I wonder if it has something to do with the fibers in the case that are the soft leather, (shorting out?). I really have no idea now though.

I think your magnet you tested with was more than enough so it really should disprove that it isn't the small magnets in my case.

Sorry if I panicked anyone. I'd still like to hear if anybody does start to have problems later on in their iPod Touches life with this case. After I was a little panicked myself, I'm not taking the chance with mine though.

deschipper

macrumors newbie
Feb 11, 2008
I took my device out of the case and connected it without any problems.
It has definitely something to do with the case.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.