Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Air

Old Feb 10, 2008, 04:43 PM   #1
Sympathy
macrumors newbie

Loads of music: best storage ideas?

So I really love my MBA. My quandary is that I have a ton (100G's) of music that I would store on a USB External Drive. How would be the best way to have it so at home I could just access it via the wireless network? Apple TV?

Sorry if this has been posted but I just wanted to know what others have done and what works well...
Sympathy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 2008, 04:44 PM   #2
BPerdeck
macrumors newbie

Time capsule? not sure how it would work though.
BPerdeck is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 2008, 04:52 PM   #3
mcvaughan
macrumors 6502

NAS (network attached storage) drive, Time Capsule (or USB drive connected to a Extreme Base Station).
Old Feb 10, 2008, 04:53 PM   #4
drummerlondonw3
macrumors 6502a

I have been thinking about this exact solution with regard to time capsule and a MBA.

If you were to have a MBA and time capsule could you partition the time capsule hard drive to hold the music and back up??

Although this would mean if its your only drive that would have too backed up as well. Therefore would you need to attach a network drive to the time capsule and back up to that as the final option?

I'm making the assumption that you would want to back up ...

edit** can you back up a network drive if its attached to time capsule and not directly to your computer?

Last edited by drummerlondonw3; Feb 10, 2008 at 04:56 PM. Reason: Qualifying the post better
drummerlondonw3 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 2008, 05:27 PM   #5
instant hit
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sympathy View Post
So I really love my MBA. My quandary is that I have a ton (100G's) of music that I would store on a USB External Drive. How would be the best way to have it so at home I could just access it via the wireless network? Apple TV?

Sorry if this has been posted but I just wanted to know what others have done and what works well...
i avoided .mac and built a personal VPN server with all my multimedia. then have itunes installed to index the music, videos, playlists, etc. and with the vpn capabilities, i have access to that database outside the home as well, so long as there's an internet connection.

total cost: $0. time spent: 1 weekend.
Old Feb 10, 2008, 05:42 PM   #6
ortuno2k
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by instant hit View Post
i avoided .mac and built a personal VPN server with all my multimedia. then have itunes installed to index the music, videos, playlists, etc. and with the vpn capabilities, i have access to that database outside the home as well, so long as there's an internet connection.

total cost: $0. time spent: 1 weekend.
Hey that'd be a cool thing to do! Can you give me a good idea on how to do something like this?

Thanks.
ortuno2k is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 2008, 07:33 PM   #7
JasonBourne9
macrumors member

I don't know if this could work for you but my solution (with a 330GB itunes library) is to create 2 libraries for my MBA.

The first library is small and just includes some of my top rated stuff. That is on my local MBA drive. If I'm remote and just want to use my MBA, I can still get my favorite music, a couple movies and a bunch of TV shows. I also have a second, much larger music collection on a portable WD Passport 320GB drive. If I'm in a hotel or something and want to pull up more music, TV or movies, I plug it in and go from there. Finally, if I want the full fledged experience, I guess I could back to my mac to access to full 330GB library on the desktop mac.

These WD passport drives are a real nice addition to the MBA. With it, I only add a tiny bit of weight and very small (physically) device, but it allows me to get 5 times as much storage as just the laptop alone. Great for traveling if you need a bit more space.
JasonBourne9 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 2008, 07:37 PM   #8
clayj
macrumors 604

I've done most of the legwork for you... read this:

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=429956

Short version: As long as you have a machine at home that's on all the time, you can keep ALL of your music there and use it on your MBA as long as your MBA is connected to the Internet.

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Air