Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

valdigre

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 20, 2007
Dublin, Ireland
For about a month now, every now and then my Macbook turns itself on, when I plug in the power cord to it. It doesn't happen all the time, but let's say about 60-70% of the time.

Also, when I am charging its battery, when it is charged to about 60%, it also turns itself on...

It turns itself on even when the cover is closed.
I am always choosing the "shutdown" option, when closing the computer.
I don't have any restart on powers failure options selected.

I don't remember it clearly, but I think it started happening, when I upgraded to Leopard... Not sure if this can be the cause?

skyrider007

macrumors 65816
Aug 5, 2007
Bangkok
Under Energy Saver in system preferences, did you by any chance schedule the computer to start up automatically at a set time?

valdigre

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 20, 2007
Dublin, Ireland
No I didn't, it turns itself on most of the time i plug in ac power source, and believe me, I do not do it every day at the same, scheduled hour :)

skyrider007

macrumors 65816
Aug 5, 2007
Bangkok
No I didn't, it turns itself on most of the time i plug in ac power source, and believe me, I do not do it every day at the same, scheduled hour :)

Hmmmmmm, try resetting your PRAM. Here's how:

1.Shut down the computer.
2.Locate the following keys on the keyboard: Command, Option, P, and R. 3.You will need to hold these keys down simultaneously in step 4.
4.Turn on the computer.
5.Press and hold the Command-Option-P-R keys. You must press this key combination before the gray screen appears.
6.Hold the keys down until the computer restarts and you hear the startup sound for the second time.
7.Release the keys.

southerndoc

Contributor
May 15, 2006
USA
In system preferences, look at the energy savings panel. Make sure that the AC adaptor option is chosen (instead of battery). Look under the options panel and ensure "Restart After a Power Failure" isn't checked. I have a feeling that's your problem.

If that doesn't resolve it, try resetting your system management controller (SMC, formerly the power management unit [PMU] on PowerBooks and iBooks). http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=303319

Also, always ensure you plug in the AC adapter into the wall outlet BEFORE you plug it into your MacBook. You should also unplug it from the MacBook BEFORE you unplug it from the wall outlet. If you plug it into the MacBook first, and then plug it into the wall outlet, a power surge can alter the SMC/PMU -- sometimes it can permanently damage it.

darwinian

macrumors 6502a
Jan 4, 2008
In R4, more or less
I just came around to ask a very similar question. It just happened to me, except my computer was sleeping. The lid was closed, and I plugged the magsafe in, and the logo lit up and was running when I opened the lid. But the body is cool -- it hasn't been running the whole time or anything. Weird.

Another problem I have relates to my use of an external monitor at home. I noticed there that when I have a monitor plugged into the machine (clamshell mode), and the power cord gets tripped, it automatically puts my computer into sleep, regardless of the battery. It doesn't even try -- must not have a high enough power output to drive that display (Samsung 22"), I suppose.

Anyway, the laptop won't always wake from sleep and requires doing various tricks to get it to shut down or reboot. As far as I can tell, these were not happening in Tiger, so I'm very much hoping that they're sw and not hw related.

Edit: my battery (or power adapter) power settings do not have the restart automatically "feature" checked.

valdigre

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 20, 2007
Dublin, Ireland
In system preferences, look at the energy savings panel. Make sure that the AC adaptor option is chosen (instead of battery). Look under the options panel and ensure "Restart After a Power Failure" isn't checked. I have a feeling that's your problem.

If that doesn't resolve it, try resetting your system management controller (SMC, formerly the power management unit [PMU] on PowerBooks and iBooks). http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=303319

Also, always ensure you plug in the AC adapter into the wall outlet BEFORE you plug it into your MacBook. You should also unplug it from the MacBook BEFORE you unplug it from the wall outlet. If you plug it into the MacBook first, and then plug it into the wall outlet, a power surge can alter the SMC/PMU -- sometimes it can permanently damage it.

System preferences checked - restart after power failure was not checked.
I put the magsafe into the lap correctly as you described so it's not the case.

I found the same case described on the internet, and the guy with the problem called Apple helpline where they told him, that sometimes the magsafe connector pins can lock themself and not fit in correctly to the holes. They told him to check if they hide when pushed with the pen.

It worked for him, I will see how it works for me.

valdigre

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 20, 2007
Dublin, Ireland
Another interesting thing, when I charge my macbook (while it is turned off) it powers itself up, when the battery is charged at about 50-70% :eek:

Any ideas?

retro83

macrumors member
Feb 3, 2008
My Macbook (annoyingly) wakes from sleep if you plug in the power lead, but does not do it during a charge.

mckyvlle

macrumors 6502a
Nov 21, 2007
London, UK
This is a peculiar behaviour. I have experienced my MacBook waking up from sleep when plugging in the magsafe (adapter is powered on). However, this does not happen every time, just occasionally.

paddy2042

macrumors newbie
Oct 16, 2005
Powerbook G4 and Macbook turn themselves on.

I now have two machines that turn themselves on automatically at whim. Powerbook G4 running Tiger and Macbook under Leopard turn themselves on usually overnight. I have followed the advice from Apple help pages and shut down under another account and this seems to have some effect but surely there must be a better solution. I thought originally that it was something to do with EyeTV but I have nothing scheduled for overnight and it still happens - even when not plugged in. This problem has me baffled and the Apple stores that I have asked (several) seem to have never heard of the problem.

Help if you have a better solution.

paddy

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.