Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
One anonymous/unconfirmed submission claims the free Panther Gifts at Apple Stores will be a pair of Dog Tags, "silver with a black Apple on one side, the other side being all black, one with just the silver X and the other with the silver X but saying Mac OS X 10.3 Panther Worldwide Release October 24th"

kb9000

macrumors member
Jun 3, 2003
(Lab)
nuts

I would want one of these... to bad I don't live near an Apple Store. I hope the FedEx man gets here soon!

Dr Data

macrumors newbie
Jul 24, 2002
They have been used before

When my kids attended the Apple Camp, they gave out dog tags. So it is a familiar concept.

BTW: My kids (8 & 10) really liked the camp. My son now asks how old does he have to be to work at the Genius Bar. I mention that the camp didn't teach him everything.

Doctor Q

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
I guess dog tags are good to have because, when authorities find your lifeless body somewhere, they can immediately identify you as a Mac user.

dho

macrumors 6502
Sep 7, 2003
California
Originally posted by Doctor Q
I guess dog tags are good to have because, when authorities find your lifeless body somewhere, they can immediately identify you as a Mac user.

good point!

wouldn't it make more sense to call them cat tags?

rekab

macrumors newbie
Oct 24, 2003
These are the dog tags -- at least I think so. This image appeared in an email I received from Apple. As you can see the email was in Japanese.

Attachments

• dog_tags.jpg
    dog_tags.jpg
    39.4 KB · Views: 2,326

pyrotoaster

macrumors 65816
Dec 28, 2002
Oak Park, IL
Originally posted by rekab
These are the dog tags -- at least I think so. This image appeared in an email I received from Apple. As you can see the email was in Japanese.
That's certainly interesting, but (no offense) there's no real reason for us to believe you. Though, I will admit that this seems likely.

clonenode

macrumors regular
Feb 12, 2002
Originally posted by rekab
Anyone able to translate this?

pyrotoaster

macrumors 65816
Dec 28, 2002
Oak Park, IL
Originally posted by clonenode
I can't, but I imagine it talks about the Panther launch shindig (assuming it's legit). But I can't believe some Japanese Apple web guy decided to reveal the secret free swag in an emailing (well, I can believe it, but it's a stupid thing to do).

Makosuke

macrumors 604
Aug 15, 2001
The Cool Part of CA, USA
Originally posted by clonenode
It very roughly says that you get bonus dog tags at the Apple store, then goes into some brief details about Panther--14,800 yen retail; the 5-user family pack is 22,800 yen. I'm pretty sure it says that you have to buy Panther at the Apple Store to get the dog tags.

Looks like the Japanese prices are just a hair higher than the US at current exchange rates.

Elan0204

macrumors 65816
Apr 16, 2002
Chicago, IL
I was in Best Buy earlier and they had posters up in the window announcing Panther's arrival. They also had free Panther mouse pads. The mouse pad is the same circular shape as the Jaguar mouse pads given out last year. They have a black background with a large brushed metal Panther X on it. There is also a small white Apple logo at the bottom centered beneath the "X."

P

paulc

Thank GOODNESS that dead Mac users only account for 2.8% of all dead people! Otherwise, 'd be more, er, worried.

Makosuke

macrumors 604
Aug 15, 2001
The Cool Part of CA, USA
Originally posted by paulc
Thank GOODNESS that dead Mac users only account for 2.8% of all dead people! Otherwise, 'd be more, er, worried.
You're forgetting that Mac users aren't necessarily in the same statistical category of other people; just like we make more money on average, we probably have a much longer lifespan, and being that computer users are a young demographic and we're probably less likely to die of non-age related causes as well, we probably only account for 1% of dead computer users, and an even smaller percentage of dead people on the whole.

Unless we get killed as a result of computer-bias-hate-crimes more often, that is...

LimeiBook86

macrumors G3
May 4, 2002
Go Vegan
Originally posted by Elan0204
I was in Best Buy earlier and they had posters up in the window announcing Panther's arrival. They also had free Panther mouse pads. The mouse pad is the same circular shape as the Jaguar mouse pads given out last year. They have a black background with a large brushed metal Panther X on it. There is also a small white Apple logo at the bottom centered beneath the "X."

All Best Buys? Mine doesn't have Mac things (last time I checked) you think it would have anything like that?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.