Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jsnspence

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 9, 2008
Hello
This is my first post. I was interested in getting more RAM for my iMac. I went to the apple store and to upgrade to 3g it would have worked out to $650. Without having done any price shopping I almost purchased the RAM from apple. I looked on line and found out what the prices should be. I went to the local authorized apple reseller and got my 3g of RAM for $115. The specs state that this iMac will only use a max of 3g of RAM. The salesman told me that he has friends that have put 2X2g chips in the same iMac and the computer regonizes the 4g. Has anybody done this?

Oh the memory I purchased was a Crucial 1g and a Buffalo 2g. They seem to be working great. I still get the annoying rainbow circle though.

Thanks!

themoonisdown09

macrumors 601
Nov 19, 2007
Georgia, USA
Hello
This is my first post. I was interested in getting more RAM for my iMac. I went to the apple store and to upgrade to 3g it would have worked out to $650. Without having done any price shopping I almost purchased the RAM from apple. I looked on line and found out what the prices should be. I went to the local authorized apple reseller and got my 3g of RAM for $115. The specs state that this iMac will only use a max of 3g of RAM. The salesman told me that he has friends that have put 2X2g chips in the same iMac and the computer regonizes the 4g. Has anybody done this?

Oh the memory I purchased was a Crucial 1g and a Buffalo 2g. They seem to be working great. I still get the annoying rainbow circle though.

Thanks!

If it's the Aluminum 24" iMac, than yes... you can put 4GB of RAM in it.

jsnspence

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 9, 2008
Its a white one. Still I have been told that the white iMac... depending on when it was purchased will recognize 4g.

ryannel2003

macrumors 68000
Jan 30, 2005
Greenville, NC
It won't recognize the full amount in OS X. System profiler will list it as having 4GB, but the computer itself will use only 3.3GB of that 4GB RAM. However, some people put the whole 2x2GB's for the added functionality of dual channel memory. I wouldn't waste my money with the 2x2GB's, I have 1x1GB and 1x2GB in my iMac and it runs great.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.