Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

IdiddidI

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 22, 2008
This may be a stupid question, but does my iMac need to be on the same wireless network as my ATV, or can I use an ethernet connection from my wireless router to my iMac and still stream movies and music to the ATV?

Since my iMac G5 doesn't support N, I'd like for ATV to be the only client on the network.

sJv

macrumors regular
Jul 11, 2007
Sierra Foothills, CA
Your iMac and ATV do not have to be on the same WiFi network. The important thing is that they need to be on the same network subnet as iTunes protocol does not work through a gateway. This invariably means that both systems' IP addressess have to have the same first 3 numbers (for example 192.168.0). This will not be a problem if you only have one DHCP server in your house.

-steve

This may be a stupid question, but does my iMac need to be on the same wireless network as my ATV, or can I use an ethernet connection from my wireless router to my iMac and still stream movies and music to the ATV?

Since my iMac G5 doesn't support N, I'd like for ATV to be the only client on the network.

FreeState

macrumors 68000
Jun 24, 2004
San Diego, CA

I have mine set up this way and it works great. As long as its connected to the same router (Airtport) wireless or wired via ethernet out of the back it will be on the same network.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.