Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

PeterSmith

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 12, 2006
Cambridge, UK
After installing 10.5.2, iCal won't load (attempts and immediately quits). Anyone else having this problem? Any suggestions as to how to resolve the problem??

Diaresi

macrumors regular
Aug 23, 2007
I have the same problem, but with iSync not iCal :confused:

(Repairing permissions does nothing for me...)

luxx80

macrumors newbie
Feb 11, 2008
Same here - iCal bounces and quickly quits. I need my iCal! :( Please post possible solutions here. Thanks!

TheLorax

macrumors newbie
May 2, 2006
Richmond, VA
Worked for me

I had a permissions problem as well. Repairing disk permissions did not work. What worked for me was to go to the ~/Library/Calendars folder, get info on this folder, and apply the same read/write permissions to all of the contents of the folder.

iCal then launched and upgraded all of my calendars.

Hope it works for everyone else as well. :apple:

luxx80

macrumors newbie
Feb 11, 2008
I tried your recommendation but iCal still doesn't fully launch. Getting worried. :(

luxx80

macrumors newbie
Feb 11, 2008
I reset the PRAM. Still doesn't load. Also, the log reads:

WARNING: moveItemAtPath: failed: Error Domain=NSCocoaErrorDomain Code=513
UserInfo=0x1520eea0 ""Calendar Cache" could not be moved because you do not have appropriate access privileges for "Calendars"."
{
NSDestinationFilePath = "/Users/ladymoz/Library/Calendars/Calendar Cache~1:;
NSFilePath = "/Users/ladymoz/Library/Calendars/Calendar Cache";
NSUserStringVariant = Move;
}

Sorry if I'm coming off as dense. Had a long day and this is just annoying me right now. Anyone have any suggestions? :confused:

UPDATE: I logged in with another user and iCal works fine?? What the heck.

JW008

macrumors 6502
Apr 29, 2005
I posted this on another thread, but thought this might belong here more.

After I updated to 10.5.2 I'm having a bit of trouble syncing calendars with .Mac on my PowerBook. I tried everything I can think of: ONLY syncing calendars, hiting the "reset sync data" button and then replacing information from .Mac to iCal. No matter what I try I always get the same error message: "Calendars could not be sycned due to inconsistent data. Confirm that your computer's data is valid, then rest Calendars on .Mac in System Preferences."

I know it's just calendars because I tried syncing it with the calendars option unchecked---it went through perfectly fine.

Anyone have any suggestions on how to fix this? If I even knew how to just delete all the calendars from iCal, that would be fine!

dacreativeguy

macrumors 68020
Jan 27, 2007
To all the people having trouble with 10.5.2. All you have to do is boot from your leopard dvd and then restore to the time machine backup you made just prior to attempting the update. Then you can try the update again.

You are using Time Machine, right????

charlieMonroe

macrumors newbie
Feb 11, 2008
If it doesn't start, then it crashes, right? Post the top (the Thread N crashed with the thread trace) of the report.

PeterSmith

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 12, 2006
Cambridge, UK
Ahhhh ... got iCal to work!

Hmmmm. Tried dragging the Calendars folder from the Library to the desktop and relaunched iCal expecting to see blank calendars (if anything). And instead got back everything except some viewing settings! A surprise but a relief. :)

venyz

macrumors newbie
Feb 12, 2008
Dublin, Ireland
Not the best solution

Hmmmm. Tried dragging the Calendars folder from the Library to the desktop and relaunched iCal expecting to see blank calendars (if anything). And instead got back everything except some viewing settings! A surprise but a relief. :)

What you actually got is the version of the database you had before upgrading to Leopard – it still sits in ~/Library/App… Support/iCal

For me unfortunately, this is already more than two months out of date… :mad:

jrnyman

macrumors newbie
Feb 12, 2008
Solution: Delete Calendar.cache files

For those having problems with iCal post 10.5.2 upgrade, delete the cache files from [User]/Library/Calendars. iCal will then automatically upgrade your calendars.:apple:

CalMin

Contributor
Nov 8, 2007
My iCal is fine, but my address book entries are gone. They're still in Entourage, but Address book has lost them.

Hmmmm....

I'll try the cache thing after work.

motulist

macrumors 601
Dec 2, 2003
It's working fine for me on 10.5.2. Just adding another data point to the discussion.

PeterSmith

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 12, 2006
Cambridge, UK
Curiouser and curiouser

What you actually got is the version of the database you had before upgrading to Leopard – it still sits in ~/Library/App… Support/iCal

For me unfortunately, this is already more than two months out of date… :mad:

Curiouser and curiouser: I got back an uptodate diary ....

gordonjones

macrumors newbie
Dec 3, 2002
deleting the cache files worked for me. thanks!

"For those having problems with iCal post 10.5.2 upgrade, delete the cache files from [User]/Library/Calendars. iCal will then automatically upgrade your calendars."

vespina

macrumors newbie
Jun 9, 2005
For those having problems with iCal post 10.5.2 upgrade, delete the cache files from [User]/Library/Calendars. iCal will then automatically upgrade your calendars.:apple:

This solution saved my day. Thanks a lot jrnyman

Victor Espina

danbretl

macrumors newbie
Feb 13, 2008
New York
ical issue resolved

i had the same problem with ical - one bounce and it would close. i followed this advice and it worked instantly. thanks much.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.