Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > PowerPC Macs

Old Feb 11, 2008, 09:20 PM   #1
beppo
macrumors member

iMac G4 intel upgrade

does any know if it is possible to upgrade an iMac G4 to intel. I was thinking of just getting rid of every thing in it and replaceing it with a new mac mini. what do you think?
beppo is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2008, 11:29 PM   #2
bluedoggiant
macrumors 68020

Send a message via AIM to bluedoggiant
Quote:
Originally Posted by beppo View Post
does any know if it is possible to upgrade an iMac G4 to intel. I was thinking of just getting rid of every thing in it and replaceing it with a new mac mini. what do you think?
If you get the parts to the mac mini. But it would be wise if you got the mini to keep its components in the case, and get a display. Instead of taking them out of the mini and into the imac g4 which i think is a pain in the ass to upgrade. If you don't, then you'll have an Mac mini case for show!!!

Haswell MacBook Pro 15" - 16GB - 2.3GHz - 512GB - dGPU
Mid-2007 iMac 24" - 4GB - 2.8GHz - .5TB
Gold 64GB iPhone 5s
bluedoggiant is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2008, 03:17 PM   #3
MacBooksRock
Banned

Quote:
dude, if you do that, give me the instructions.. ive got one that I would LOVE to do that to. =]
MacBooksRock is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 29, 2008, 04:11 PM   #4
lgoodlove
macrumors member

Send a message via AIM to lgoodlove
i would love to see any instructions for this also...

i fell in love with the imac g4 at first site, even though i was young i know i'll own one some day no matter how out of date they get.

I wouldn't mind ripping one apart either and putting in my own PC hardware if it would help me get a good bus speed (1066mhz or better)
lgoodlove is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 29, 2008, 04:22 PM   #5
marold280
macrumors 6502

the iMac G4 is the sexiest mac i think.
its a shame they are so god damn slow !
mine is 800mhz !
that would be awesome if you could do that btw
Old Aug 29, 2008, 04:38 PM   #6
DarthTreydor
macrumors 6502

seems like it should be possible to shoehorn the mini components into a G4 imac.

give it a whirl. what's the worst that could happen?
iPhone 3G S 16GB
DarthTreydor is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 31, 2008, 01:00 PM   #7
lgoodlove
macrumors member

im willing...

im willing to spend money of this and try if someone could point out if or how you would even get started. I have built custom computers but idk about using the screen and sound already from a power PC...
Old Aug 31, 2008, 03:40 PM   #8
rfruth
macrumors regular

since the PPC isn't pin compatible with the C2D, no upgrade possible without some serious hacking & even then you would have an unsupported kludge of a G4 on your hands

Last edited by rfruth; Aug 31, 2008 at 03:51 PM.
rfruth is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 31, 2008, 04:12 PM   #9
gehrbox
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Direct upgrade is not possible. You might be able to fit the Mini's guts in the G4's dome, but would have to engineer a new base, DVD mount and wiring for the LCD.

Might be more fun to use a case from a Mac Classic with a small LCD and a Mac Mini's guts
Old Sep 1, 2008, 02:23 AM   #10
Etherz10
macrumors member

i wouldnt bother to go though all the hassle and cost of replacing it nearly as much s buying a whole new machine, keep with the mac mini
Old Sep 1, 2008, 02:32 AM   #11
notsofatjames
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by gehrbox View Post
Direct upgrade is not possible. You might be able to fit the Mini's guts in the G4's dome, but would have to engineer a new base, DVD mount and wiring for the LCD.

Might be more fun to use a case from a Mac Classic with a small LCD and a Mac Mini's guts
Totally agree with this, and if I had the money I'd give it a go. The mini's definitely small enough to fit in the G4 dome.

Have a look online for break-downs and take-aparts of the G4 and the Mini, and see if the Motherboards on each use standard connectors that you could get adapters for if necessary.

I've seen disk drive and hard drive upgrades performed, so mounting the mac-minis super drive and hard drive wont be difficult, but I'd be careful around the video cables (monitor). Apart from that, everything else is practically on-board the macmini.
Old Sep 1, 2008, 02:52 AM   #12
iToaster
macrumors 68000

I've put extensive research into the subject of fitting a Mini in an iMac G4. To be brief, the Mini will fit in the iMac (though I'd take it out of the case to get better ventilation) and with the proper adapters you can use a desktop sized hard drive and optical drive with the Mini. The only catch is the display which uses an irregular connector (there might be an adapter for it, but I don't know the type of connection). My thoughts on this hindrance would be to essentially buy a DVI display, remove the casing, and the somehow mount that in the display housing of the iMac and feed the power and DVI connector through the neck. Good luck though, it won't be an easy task.
Old Sep 1, 2008, 11:18 PM   #13
lgoodlove
macrumors member

maybe later...

well sounds like sence no one has done it before it would be exiting to claim the first to do it... but if it's going to be difficult and costly i think i'll wait till later in life when i have money i can trow around more for fun...

after all im only 16 and trying to start up a buisness... http://www.shporg.org/doodle

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > PowerPC Macs