Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mosx

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 3, 2007
I'm too lazy to find the link to my previous post detailing whats going wrong with my Mac.

Basically, battery started to bulge and the case was coming apart above the IR sensor in the corner.

Called Apple, arranged for the pickup. Got sent out to Flextronics (of course!)

What happened?

Well, system came back with a new battery (shocked!) and new top case.

However, this is Flextronics. We all know what will happen here, right?

The top case was still unsealed (and had a big greasy fingerprint on it)

And the rest of the external casing was scratched.

To top it off, the case on the left side and above the battery was now extremely weak. It pushed in with very little effort. To the point where it feels like it could break.

I send an email to sjobs@apple.com because Ken Bell, the person who originally called me back, was a complete jerk. Nate Doss calls me back and basically takes over.

Send the system back out. Flextronics gets it. They claim they see no difference between it now and how it originally came in. Of course :rolleyes: And they are somehow unable to "reproduce the problems" with the case. Uh.. try pushing IN?

Nate Doss agrees to have the casing replaced anyway. He wants to see pictures though. However, I'm keeping those pictures private in case this has to go farther than either myself or Apple would like it, to court.

I am going to send him the video I made of the system showing how easily it can be pushed in.

The sad thing is, I was starting to like Apple again. I still am and always will be disappointed by the lack of a dedicated graphics processor in the MacBook, but I was really liking OS X, despite the stability issues.

But this really is getting out of hand. I'm going to have to make a remark about the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act of 1975 in the email where I send the video.

aforty

macrumors 65816
Nov 27, 2007
Brooklyn, NY
Really sucks to have an experience like that, no matter who the company or what the product.

Good luck to you and keep us updated. I'd like to know how this gets resolved for you.

JWest

macrumors 6502
Oct 1, 2007
Sorry about that, sometimes you just have a bad experience with a company. You seem to be handling everything in a professional manner though. Just keep a cool, level head. Don't send any hateful e-mails or anything, and just keep on the course your taking. You'll likely end up getting the case properly replaced and the whole thing can blow over- hopefully.

mosx

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 3, 2007
So this was sent to a place called Flextronics and not Apple? Why wasn't it sent to Apple for repairs?

Because thats the repair depot Apple chose to send it too.

One of the things Ken Bell said to me, in a very rude tone, was "did you not hear me? Flextronics is the only MacBook repair center" when asked why not send it to another repair depot.

JWest

macrumors 6502
Oct 1, 2007
Because thats the repair depot Apple chose to send it too.

One of the things Ken Bell said to me, in a very rude tone, was "did you not hear me? Flextronics is the only MacBook repair center" when asked why not send it to another repair depot.

Yah, it sucks when people are complete jerks. Like I said earlier though, stay cool- don't be a jerk back to them (as tempting as it may be). Again, best of luck and I hope this gets resolved soon ;)

mosx

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 3, 2007
Yah, it sucks when people are complete jerks. Like I said earlier though, stay cool- don't be a jerk back to them (as tempting as it may be). Again, best of luck and I hope this gets resolved soon ;)

Yeah I have been. Though, when I spoke to Nate Doss today and he told me that Flextronics had been "unable to reproduce the symptoms" it took everything I had not to make a sarcastic remark about the technician being too dumb to push on the case in the weak spots I noted.

The more I think about it, the more upset I get. This is getting pretty out of hand. It's not surprising though. I'm sure Apple has received thousands of complaints about Flextronics, judging from all the experiences I've read about here and at other places. But they have to defend their position and the company they contracted.

The most annoying part of all is that it will soon be about 2 and a half weeks since I first sent it in.

Resist

macrumors 68040
Jan 15, 2008
I wonder if taking it directly to an Apple store and having them note the condition would help.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.