Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

meghop

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 28, 2002
I can't get the darn thing to launch after installing Panther, worked fine in Jag. Anyone have any workarounds? I am going to try to reinstall it and see if that helps any, trashing prefs did not help, and permissions are all repaired... :mad:

I do not have the 11.0.2 upgrade patch, so let me hear if that improves things for anyone who does. Thanks.

meghop

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 28, 2002
SPSS 11 is a statistical software package used by undergrad/grad students and faculty, researchers, etc. in the social or other sciences. It crunches data, and is vital to certain fields like psychology (which is mine).

dylanemcgregor

macrumors member
Oct 24, 2003
I'm pretty sure it's demographics software...can't remember exactly what it stands for off the top of my head.

-Dylan

edit: too slow

BowiPod

macrumors member
Oct 24, 2003
Thanks for the heads up. Keep us posted, I need SPSS to finish my PhD!! Getting Panther next week so let us know if you get it working.

I have version 11 at the mo

meghop

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 28, 2002
OK I got it working.
Looks like I was the victim of a bad upgrade install, cause after SPSS went down, the Finder crashed, and iPhoto was beachballing like crazy!
I did an archive and install, then reinstalled a fresh copy of SPSS. Now everything works loverly... Hooray, now my stats exam next week will be Pantherfied! ;)

dbally

macrumors member
Jul 27, 2003
I haven't had any problems (other than user error :D) with SPSS 11 working under Panther. Hope yours was just an isolated case . . . glad you got it worked out :)

withnail

macrumors regular
Feb 8, 2003
Speaking of stats software on the Mac, has anyone heard of any plans of SAS porting to OS X? I'm putting off learning SPSS, but i can only tolerate running SAS in Virtual PC for so long! :)

thrillseeker

macrumors newbie
Dec 24, 2003
Erfurt, Germany
Originally posted by meghop
OK I got it working.
I did an archive and install, then reinstalled a fresh copy of SPSS. Now everything works loverly...

Hi!

I've got the same problem since I was upgrading to Panther.

What did You do exactly? Do I have to archive / re-install the OS?
I tried to remove all SPSS files (program file, prefs, application support etc.), and re-installed SPSS. Didn't work :(

Greets, Stefan from Germany

MisterMe

macrumors G4
Jul 17, 2002
USA
Originally posted by dylanemcgregor
I'm pretty sure it's demographics software...can't remember exactly what it stands for off the top of my head.

-Dylan

edit: too slow
SPSS stands for Statistical Program for Social Scientists. It has been around more than 20 years. It is the standard for the analysis of statistical data, especially data collected in social science research.

meghop

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 28, 2002
Originally posted by thrillseeker
Hi!

I've got the same problem since I was upgrading to Panther.

What did You do exactly? Do I have to archive / re-install the OS?
I tried to remove all SPSS files (program file, prefs, application support etc.), and re-installed SPSS. Didn't work :(

Greets, Stefan from Germany

I have since bought a new system (G5 Dual 1.8, whoopee!) but as I recall, the upgrade install of Panther I originally did had problems, as did the version of SPSS I had. I got a new version of SPSS from a friend, version 11.0.2, and installed that over an archive and install version of Panther and since then it worked relatively without problems. I installed that same version of SPSS on my G5 and it has worked great, no problems. So I think it was a combination of a bad version of SPSS (11.0) and a bad upgrade install of Panther...

greenha

macrumors newbie
Apr 7, 2004
SPSS - Panther compatibility

thrillseeker said:
Yesterday I did an archive&install of 10.3 and a new install of SPSS 11.0.0 - and now everything is fine...

What version of Panther are you running? I have apparently successfully installed SPSS 11.0.2 but get 'program has unexpectedly quit' error on attempting to open it. Have re-installed it three times without any success. don't know what you mean by bad upgrade install, but I will try archiving and re-installing panther. I am running 10.3.3 on a ibook, G3. Just curious if there is success on this specific OS version with SPSS.

:eek:

thrillseeker

macrumors newbie
Dec 24, 2003
Erfurt, Germany
greenha said:
What version of Panther are you running?

10.3.3 (7F44)

greenha said:
I have apparently successfully installed SPSS 11.0.2 but get 'program has unexpectedly quit' error on attempting to open it.

I first removed any files associated with SPSS manually (Finder -> Find -> file name contains "SPSS" -> visible and invisible items; I also searched for any files with same date an time like SPSS program files),
then did an archive and reinstall of OS X,
and finally I (re-)installed SPPS.

Comparing to the Win... version, the OS X build of SPSS is a crying shame :( It's usability, speed, interface and perfomance are lousy. Maybe our trouble is just one more specific problem in this list.

Greetings from Germany,

thrill

bellis1

macrumors 6502
Feb 9, 2003
SPSS 11 needs help

Alright, SPSS 11 needs some help. Sure it has come leaps and bounds since it's initial forms but it has not quite made that leap to the newest OS X. I have it installed fine on my computer (17" panther) but it is frequented by unexpected quits. I think they rushed it too market and it definitely needs some improvement. You can use the program in other fields, I use it for some ecological & genetic analyses. I suppose it can be used for other "social" and frankly unsocial organisms besides humans. I do hate using it though and am interested in any other OS X programs that may be out available.

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
bellis1 said:
Alright, SPSS 11 needs some help. Sure it has come leaps and bounds since it's initial forms but it has not quite made that leap to the newest OS X. I have it installed fine on my computer (17" panther) but it is frequented by unexpected quits. I think they rushed it too market and it definitely needs some improvement. You can use the program in other fields, I use it for some ecological & genetic analyses. I suppose it can be used for other "social" and frankly unsocial organisms besides humans. I do hate using it though and am interested in any other OS X programs that may be out available.

<R> has a very nice port and it does quite a lot of stuff, and its open source, but it is not the most user friendly thing in the world...but there are pluses. For instance, it does in-house SEM without having to use a second piece of s/w like Amos (which isn't available on OSX anyway). Right now I'm using <R> on my mac but I do most of my stats on my desktop PC with SPSS 11.

http://cran.r-project.org/

I'm thinking about getting Mac SPSS, but I'm really scared of unexpected quits...do you lose a lot of data or analysis that way? I don't think SPSS on the PC at least has much in the way of crash recovery like Excel or Word.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.