Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iRule

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 1, 2004
Australia
Hello all,

As the title indicates. I bought Speed Download as part of the MacHeist bundle few weeks ago, now I launched the program, and a pop up windows appeared telling me that I could upgrade into v5.0 so I did.
I tried to activate the copy using my old code but it refused to accept. I then went to their site to find out that I have to pay $17.95 to upgrade into the new version.

Guys, what the hell is going on ? Am I liable to get the new version for free ? If not then I may seek alternative ways to get this version for free :confused: .

eji

macrumors 6502
Jun 8, 2004
INW
I don't want to make assumptions about YazSoft's (the Speed Download dev) ethics, but this is what really riles me about some MacHeist participants. They bundle software that they know will be outdated in a few weeks' time, so that all the recent users who bought it at a discount will be tempted -- or suckered -- into paying more money for an upgrade.

I don't recall... did it say anything on the MH descrip that Speed Download users could upgrade to the next version for free? Some apps (Cha-Ching, I think) made a point of mentioning forthcoming updates and the devs' policies. Others conveniently failed to.

iRule

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 1, 2004
Australia
Unfortunately, promo purchases do not qualify for free upgrades.

You may purchase SD5 at reduced pricing for $15. Simply purchase the SD5 upgrade for $15.

Thank you for choosing Speed Download. Yazsoft appreciates your business and continued support.

Sincerely,

xxxxx

With such attitude, I'm forced to use pirated copies of this program as the developers do not seem to have ethics since they knew about v5.0 and never offered free upgrade for it.

PeterVk

macrumors newbie
Feb 12, 2008
Good for them if they syphon some cash for this ploy. But if I remember right, Speed Download was added about half-way through the promotion. Probably tipped the scales for a few wanting to buy the bundle but waiting. That to me seems to make their move into something of a scam - as in, they already offer a 21 day trial period, so it's more people downloading their program and testing it out - more potential buyers that they really didn't earn. I wonder how much they got for their participation in MacHeist? (Nice of them, though, to provide an uninstaller with their app...)

Consultant

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
It's not a scam. You are buying what's offered.

Just because there is a new version out doesn't mean the current version is broken. Do you think these developers get their rent / utilities / etc for free? What if people tell YOU that because you put in time to make a new version of the product, YOU are a scammer and they will steal your work?

What you bought will work as advertised. If you want newer versions, you need to give a few bucks to the developers.

ghall

macrumors 68040
Jun 27, 2006
Rhode Island
I too am peeved about this. I wouldn't mind so much if they just waited a month or to so that MacHeist buyers were outside the upgrade window. Nothing on their website suggests that MacHeist users are ineligible when I checked this morning, but they updated the site to add a note that promo purchasers are ineligible.

This is BS!!! :mad:

pjrobertson

macrumors 6502a
Nov 14, 2007
The Macheist makers always lead me to believe that they were selling the REAL software, as opposed to 'promo licenses'. I'm glad I didn't buy the bundle now... it was just too good to be true.
:(

Mitou

macrumors regular
Jan 25, 2008
I agree that with such behavior I will probably not support the macheist bundle next time.
If a year or so had lapsed I would agree to pay more, but this is ridiculous. I will not upgrade but I am sure I will be getting annoying messages about it and will eventually have to remove the app.
Too bad I liked it.

ghall

macrumors 68040
Jun 27, 2006
Rhode Island
The Macheist makers always lead me to believe that they were selling the REAL software, as opposed to 'promo licenses'. I'm glad I didn't buy the bundle now... it was just too good to be true.

I agree that with such behavior I will probably not support the macheist bundle next time.
If a year or so had lapsed I would agree to pay more, but this is ridiculous. I will not upgrade but I am sure I will be getting annoying messages about it and will eventually have to remove the app.
Too bad I liked it.

You really can't blame MacHeist for this. Is it their fault that Yazsoft didn't keep up their end of the bargain? Every other program has been exactly what was promised (in my opinion).

tip

macrumors 6502
Mar 9, 2006
It depends on the vendor.

I did both recent MU promos.

- GraphicConverter had a major release right after its promo - the upgrade was free.
- Same goes with LittleSnitch.
- TechTool Pro had a MINOR update right after its promo - that was a pay upgrade.

Point is, your mileage may vary.

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
Indianapolis
It depends on the vendor.

I did both recent MU promos.

- GraphicConverter had a major release right after its promo - the upgrade was free.
- Same goes with LittleSnitch.
- TechTool Pro had a MINOR update right after its promo - that was a pay upgrade.

Point is, your mileage may vary.
Profcast, Cocktail, and Amadeus had updates as well. I e-mailed for two of them and I got great support for Amadeus. I got those updates for free. I'm still tossing around the Tech Tool Pro upgrade though.

Cromulent

macrumors 604
Oct 2, 2006
The Land of Hope and Glory
With such attitude, I'm forced to use pirated copies of this program as the developers do not seem to have ethics since they knew about v5.0 and never offered free upgrade for it.

Sorry but this is a **** attitude to take. You don't buy Mac OS X and then expect free upgrades to all the new versions when Apple release them do you? You don't expect free upgrades to Photoshop. Just because some developers offer free upgrades it does not mean that they all should.

You paid for the MacHeist bundle and got the MacHeist bundle. Don't pirate software just because you are a cheap skate. Use the software you have already paid for and be happy with it. The developers have already given you the software at a significant discount how much more do you expect for free?

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
Am I the only one who finds it amusing that, the first time around, MacHeist was decried for exploiting software developers by forcing them into lower pricing of their products in the name of reckless profiteering, and now, just a short while later, the complaints are about how they ripped their customers off by shockingly providing them exactly what they said they would and not any more?

If MacHeist is so clearly responsible for a pandemic of woes that most likely includes but is not limited to sexual slave trade, increased carbon footprints, war in the Middle East, and the banishment of mankind to the depths of hell, then why do you all keep using them?

Does the phrase "educated consumer" now mean nothing whatsoever?

kfordham281

macrumors 6502
Dec 4, 2007
If you use just a few of the MH apps then you already paid for your bundle. With Pixelmator and CSSEdit I've been very happy with my MH purchase. I recently started using Cha-Ching and it's not bad too. For the money ($39 since I did some of the heists) I don't think you could beat the MH price.

I have no problems paying for a major upgrade if I got the app in the first place at a fraction of the cost of regular price. Now if they didn't offer you an upgrade discount, that would kind of suck. In Speed Downloads case they give you $10 off (regularly $25). If your original copy works fine, continue to use it!

flopticalcube

macrumors G4
If you use just a few of the MH apps then you already paid for your bundle. With Pixelmator and CSSEdit I've been very happy with my MH purchase. I recently started using Cha-Ching and it's not bad too. For the money ($39 since I did some of the heists) I don't think you could beat the MH price.

I have no problems paying for a major upgrade if I got the app in the first place at a fraction of the cost of regular price. Now if they didn't offer you an upgrade discount, that would kind of suck. In Speed Downloads case they give you $10 off (regularly $25). If your original copy works fine, continue to use it!

If you have a hi-speed connection its not really worth $15, let alone $25. All they have done with this stunt is persuade me to remove it from my machine and left me a little more bitter towards the MacHeist team (assuming they new this was coming). Its the timing that sucks.

CanadaRAM

macrumors G5
Hmm... Pay something like $4 average per application, receive exactly what was advertised (version Y of a particular program) and then complain that version Z will cost more to upgrade to?

Not impressed by the mindset on display here.

bobr1952

macrumors 68020
Jan 21, 2008
Melbourne, FL
I have somewhat mixed emotions on this. I purchased MacHeist because I had no Mac apps since I was switching from a PC. I don't really have a need for most of the bundled apps but a few looked promising--and yes one of the promising ones was Speed Download--and I do like it. It certainly would have been nice if the upgrade was part of the deal but I can understand their decision from a business standpoint--they are after all in this to make money. I guess for now I'll just hang on to my current version.

Dingo Dave 69

macrumors 6502
Oct 23, 2007
I posted a thread about this earlier today as well. End result, I uninstalled the new speed download and reinstalled the one I got from the Macheist bundle.

kkat69

macrumors 68020
Aug 30, 2007
Atlanta, Ga

You ARE buying REAL software. Not promo codes. Your just buying THAT version. It's pretty clear cut and without ambiguity.

Hmm... Pay something like $4 average per application, receive exactly what was advertised (version Y of a particular program) and then complain that version Z will cost more to upgrade to?

Neither am I. We (those that bought) bought a particular version of the software. MacHeist just negotiated the deal to sell the software at version X at a discounted price. Now if company XYZ wants to give out certain licenses because they know a newer version will be out soon then so be it. It's not MacHeist's fault. Every software that I wanted out of the last bundle is full blown and very much worth it.

Now if a newer version comes out, hey, tough *****. It happens daily in the computer world. I deal with it because I bought version X, not version Y. If I want version Y I PAY for version Y.

flopticalcube

macrumors G4
You ARE buying REAL software. Not promo codes. Your just buying THAT version. It's pretty clear cut and without ambiguity.

Actually, in the case of Speed Download an upgrade path was implied. From the bundle receipt:

Speed Download must be activated using the provided promo version. This version is the same as the currently released build of Speed Download in every way besides activation, which is required to track promo customers. You can upgrade to new versions using official, non promo releases through Yazsoft.com, or Speed Download's auto updating. We will keep a copy of the promo build available for downloading for six months until July 23rd, 2008. Please activate before then.

Had they added the words "at a nominal fee", this discussion would not be happening. Again, poor PR on their part.

PeterVk

macrumors newbie
Feb 12, 2008

I have no regrets from purchasing the MacHeist bundle. Not every app will be like this! I just think it was kind of sleazy to 'throw in' Speed Download knowing full well that they would make their offering obsolete in three weeks time. Nevertheless, if SD had made a positive impression on me during those three weeks, I definitely would upgrade - 4$ for the app and 15$ for the upgrade is still cheaper than a 25$ straight purchase. I suppose I have a bad opinion of their move because SD didn't appeal to me in the first place. I'm definitely not bitter about it, and I would purchase the bundle again without hesitation.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.