Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

davinche

macrumors regular
May 3, 2005
Bay Area, CA
The US trial has been up since early this morning. I downloaded it first thing and have been playing with it for a few hours. It seems a lot faster to me, the interface is slightly different. I already ordered my upgrade key just waiting for it to arrive.

Digital Skunk

macrumors G3
Dec 23, 2006
In my imagination
A worthy upgrade adding some of the features I was begging for. I have to see how it handles my actual library when I buy the full version and reference my images. (I don't have my entire library with me, just the stuff I am currently working on)

So far, the much improved full screen workflow and the tethered shooting are my favorites, including the inspector window which Apple has mastered in their other applications, iPhoto viewing instead of importing, and web galleries ala iPhoto. This makes me want to pay the cash for iLife 08)

The editing is much improved (retouch alone) and makes me wonder if I will need PS as much. I may just have to get into Aperture some more and try my best to not use PS when I am in the field or in a crunch.

I will do my testing and read the reviews and see where I stand.

lloyd709

macrumors 6502
Jan 10, 2008
I just downloaded it but it downloaded version 1.5.6. I double checked everything (and did everything again) and I'm for sure at the right page but I get the 1.5.6 trial - any one else having this problem?

M@lew

macrumors 68000
Nov 18, 2006
Melbourne, Australia
You have to rename your old Aperture before you can install the new one. Only the licensed Aperture 2 will allow you to upgrade your old library because just incase you want to stick with 1.5 you can.

lloyd709

macrumors 6502
Jan 10, 2008
You have to rename your old Aperture before you can install the new one. Only the licensed Aperture 2 will allow you to upgrade your old library because just incase you want to stick with 1.5 you can.

I don't have and old version of Aperture - I've never used it. I wouldn't have thought that this would mean I can't download Version 2.

It's very strange, I've just tried it again. The Apple page says Aperture 2 at the top but when I click on download (after I've gone through the process of registering for my trial license number) it downloads version 1.5.6. It's mad - or I'm mad!!

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
The Aperture 2.0 trial isn't working yet. Just wait a bit longer.....

I really want to try it out. Maybe it will be good enough to make me switch from Lightroom. There are numerous things about the new Aperture that I like more than Lightroom and the old Aperture, so we'll see.

xUKHCx

Administrator emeritus
Jan 15, 2006
The Kop
The Aperture 2.0 trial isn't working yet. Just wait a bit longer.....

I really want to try it out. Maybe it will be good enough to make me switch from Lightroom. There are numerous things about the new Aperture that I like more than Lightroom and the old Aperture, so we'll see.

Working for me, I just followed the link in the second post filled in the details then downloaded from their, it was a bit slow maxing at ~55Kbs

Picture 5.jpg

lloyd709

macrumors 6502
Jan 10, 2008
I presume I've been re-directed to a different server or something because of where I'm located - In the UK.

It's getting late here now so I'll try again tomorrow.

xUKHCx

Administrator emeritus
Jan 15, 2006
The Kop
I presume I've been re-directed to a different server or something because of where I'm located - In the UK.

It's getting late here now so I'll try again tomorrow.

check my location and username, i'm also from the UK.

Grimace

macrumors 68040
Feb 17, 2003
with Hamburglar.
The same garbage web page templates haven't been upgraded. But there is now a snazzy option for exports *only* to .Mac. :mad: That's crap. .Mac is great, but a lot of professional photos DON'T base their web sites on it.

tiggle

macrumors member
Jan 31, 2006
Hong Kong
I have downloaded the trial version of 2, but don't seem to be able to export a file into PS3 as a nef file from my Nikon D300. Is this option available. I really like ACR for a few initial adjustments before going into PS, and so want to use use Aperture as a browser and to import photos initially.

Any suggestions for another good importer/pic browser are also welcomed.

Digital Skunk

macrumors G3
Dec 23, 2006
In my imagination
I have downloaded the trial version of 2, but don't seem to be able to export a file into PS3 as a nef file from my Nikon D300. Is this option available. I really like ACR for a few initial adjustments before going into PS, and so want to use use Aperture as a browser and to import photos initially.

Any suggestions for another good importer/pic browser are also welcomed.

If you want to do that just use Bridge. Aperture and Lightroom were designed to work as photo management/editing/toning/etc. applications so you won't be able to export NEF files to CS3. Just PSD or TIFF files after Aperture does the initial conversions.

If you are going to use ACR then Bridge is the better choice.

The same garbage web page templates haven't been upgraded. But there is now a snazzy option for exports *only* to .Mac. :mad: That's crap. .Mac is great, but a lot of professional photos DON'T base their web sites on it.

Amen Grimace. I thought the same thing as that was the biggest improvement that I wanted to see in the web output features of Aperture. But not only do you have to have .Mac (which I do) but you have to have iLife 08 (for iPhoto 08, which I don't have :mad: )

Apple is offering .Mac members $30 off of iLife 08 but WTF am I supposed to do with the other not so great applications and why didn't Apple think to make the web pages from Aperture look as good as the web galleries?

Grimace

macrumors 68040
Feb 17, 2003
with Hamburglar.
I am still SO ticked about the .Mac-only export for the real web galleries. Aperture is a professional app, meaning lots of people have their own sites and aren't using .Mac.

Give me Lightroom 2.

Digital Skunk

macrumors G3
Dec 23, 2006
In my imagination
I am still SO ticked about the .Mac-only export for the real web galleries. Aperture is a professional app, meaning lots of people have their own sites and aren't using .Mac.

Give me Lightroom 2.

And in all reality, I am trying to figure out a way to sync my Aperture library and edits with LR so that I can get those wonderful FLASH libraries. I will give iLife 08 and web galleries a shot but if that doesn't work the way I want it to then Box.net and LR's flash libraries may be the way to go.

Apple does a great job of giving us what we want but they always find a way to NOT give us the complete package.

tiggle

macrumors member
Jan 31, 2006
Hong Kong
Thanks for the reply, as always you are very helpful digital. However, I have been trying to use Bridge, but there are problems with it and the D300 Nef files. I have downloaded the new raw plugin for it, but the problem persists. Sometimes the files are displayed, sometimes only an icon will be shown. From my search on the net, many people seem to be having this problem, and there are no replies to it on the adobe support site. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.