Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

richard371

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Feb 1, 2008
When I am in a quiet enviroment like laying in bed using the air I hear the hd make a noise about every 20 seconds or so. Its almost like the heads are parking etc. its not a loud or terrible noise just annoying. All I am doing is surfing the web etc.

izibo

macrumors 6502
Oct 6, 2004
When I am in a quiet enviroment like laying in bed using the air I hear the hd make a noise about every 20 seconds or so. Its almost like the heads are parking etc. its not a loud or terrible noise just annoying. All I am doing is surfing the web etc.

i've noticed it too... I almost thought the HD was dying.

clayj

macrumors 604
Jan 14, 2005
visiting from downstream
Yep, that's the sound of the heads parking. The hard drives in iPod Classics make the same noise (probably because they are a similar design). My Classic does it and it used to worry me until I read that that clicking sound is normal.

I love my SSD. :)

chp5592

macrumors regular
Jul 16, 2007
I took my macbook Air to genius bar to get the hard drive sound checked out. I definitely hear it when in quieter environment.

Funny thing... Almost impossible to hear it at the loud Apple store. The "genius" took it to the back and said it was normal/acceptable HD sound.

My wife thinks I am crazy, trying to find fault. I guess I want perfection. I definitely hear it frequently, even now while I type this.

BTW, after 10.5.2 update, keyboard backlighting is more predictable, the fan is now rarely above 3500 RPM, mostly at 2500 RPM when doing normal activity. Even JAVA windows open does not send the fan up to crazy level. The genius when he was "stressing" my Air opened every friggin application (seemed like 20+) on my Air and surprisingly, the fan stayed below 3500 RPM. Go figure.

prominence

macrumors regular
Jan 31, 2008
I took my macbook Air to genius bar to get the hard drive sound checked out. I definitely hear it when in quieter environment.

Funny thing... Almost impossible to hear it at the loud Apple store. The "genius" took it to the back and said it was normal/acceptable HD sound.

My wife thinks I am crazy, trying to find fault. I guess I want perfection. I definitely hear it frequently, even now while I type this.

BTW, after 10.5.2 update, keyboard backlighting is more predictable, the fan is now rarely above 3500 RPM, mostly at 2500 RPM when doing normal activity. Even JAVA windows open does not send the fan up to crazy level. The genius when he was "stressing" my Air opened every friggin application (seemed like 20+) on my Air and surprisingly, the fan stayed below 3500 RPM. Go figure.

Anytime I access a youtube video, my MBA hits 6500 RPM on the fan. Is that bad? I have 10.5.2

chp5592

macrumors regular
Jul 16, 2007
Anytime I access a youtube video, my MBA hits 6500 RPM on the fan. Is that bad? I have 10.5.2

I don't thinks it''s normal. Try the COPS reset. Left control, option, shift and power button all pressed at same time. I Think this helped mine.

dthree36

macrumors regular
Feb 4, 2008
My first MBA had the 6200 spin of death and I got it replaced. My replacement stays at 2500 RPM now and it will spin up to 5000-6200 when playing videos when I have several other applications running but it quickly drops down after the video has ended. This of course on the normal mode for me with the power plugged in. I wouldn't worry unless your fan is constantly at 6200 even if you have no applications running like mine was.

prominence

macrumors regular
Jan 31, 2008
I don't thinks it''s normal. Try the COPS reset. Left control, option, shift and power button all pressed at same time. I Think this helped mine.

Have done COPS reset twice.

Tested a friends MBA out and his only goes up to 6200RPM, not 6500, and that was playing 4 youtube videos at once, (and really hit the fan when I did full screen).

munckee

macrumors 65816
Oct 27, 2005
How odd. My Macbook has been doing this as well. I've been debating taking it in and backing up more frequently because of it. Glad to hear its nothing to worry about, though it is a little annoying. I'll have to try the COPS thing when I have a second.

squaremon

macrumors regular
Jan 18, 2008
mine does the every 20sec click sound but its not loud so it doesnt bother me. But, I do get loud click sound once awhile. the time is unpredictable. somtime every 30 min sometime 1hr or 2. its a random loud click that u can heard it for sure even with music on. Im gonna take it to apple n see wats going on:confused:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.