Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Mac Basics and Help

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Feb 12, 2008, 12:28 PM   #1
wvtbred
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Can't watch video on some sites, please help.

I bought my iMac a few months ago and still can't get to watch what I need to for my business. I breed and own Thoroughbred Race Horses and need to be able to watch races on the web. The people in the store said sure no problem but I still cannot. I have downloaded Flip4Mac which seems to have failed miserably plus Real Player, Quicktime etc.

Any and all help would be greatly appreciated.

Can someone do me a favor and tell me if they can watch this video?

http://www.equibase.com/premium/video/derby2007.cfm
wvtbred is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2008, 01:14 PM   #2
Mr.Noisy
macrumors 65816
 
Mr.Noisy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: UKô
Have you downloaded Perian, it's a bunch of codecs for quicktime, plays most things, any other problems i get i use VLC player
__________________
Nick - Photographer & Scapegoat
My Work Gear List
Mr.Noisy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2008, 01:56 PM   #3
Ugg
macrumors 68000
 
Ugg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Penryn
All I got was a page saying I needed realplayer. I have it installed but no luck.

I looked again and it says you need a subscription. Have you already paid for one? You won't get anywhere without subscribing.

Last edited by Ugg; Feb 12, 2008 at 01:57 PM. Reason: added question
Ugg is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2008, 02:04 PM   #4
Strom1
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: NY
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ugg View Post
All I got was a page saying I needed realplayer. I have it installed but no luck.

I looked again and it says you need a subscription. Have you already paid for one? You won't get anywhere without subscribing.
Why would he need to subscribe?I'm seeing it fine on my PC just clicked and it came up immediately,i will try on my Mac tonight and i'll let you know.
Strom1 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2008, 02:10 PM   #5
Morod
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: On The Nickel, over there....
I'm using my iMac with QuickTime and Perian. I cannot watch the video. Tell the video provider to format it with a more universal codec than Real Player.
Morod
__________________
Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not simpler.
Albert Einstein
Morod is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2008, 02:43 PM   #6
wvtbred
Thread Starter
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
It does work on a pc and it's free to watch certain replays. I will subscribe but not until I can get it to work on the Mac. You would think there is a way to get around this. If not I will have to sell my iMac and go back to pc

Thanks for all of the help and please keep trying.
wvtbred is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2008, 01:18 AM   #7
richard.mac
macrumors 603
 
richard.mac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: 51.50024, -0.12662
Send a message via Skype™ to richard.mac
Quote:
Originally Posted by wvtbred View Post
… If not I will have to sell my iMac and go back to pc
just because you cant watch Horse Racing replays?

install RealPLayer but dont download the one that your link suggests. this is the windows version. go here to download the Mac OS X version. you should be able to view it then.

RealPlayer is an old format that isnt used much anymore. its now all about Flash, QuickTime and WMV.
__________________
If you can't innovate, you just imitate, but it's never quite as good as the original.
Hackintosh - Core i5 4670K, Z87X, 7870XT, 16GB RAM, 128GB SDD | MacBook Air 13" 2013 | iPhone 6 16GB JB
richard.mac is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2008, 09:37 AM   #8
wvtbred
Thread Starter
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by richthomas View Post
just because you cant watch Horse Racing replays?

install RealPLayer but dont download the one that your link suggests. this is the windows version. go here to download the Mac OS X version. you should be able to view it then.

RealPlayer is an old format that isnt used much anymore. its now all about Flash, QuickTime and WMV.

Absolutely, it's a business and if I cannot conduct my business the tool I am using has to go. Not to mention the Apple people in the store was that it would absolutely work.

The link you gave me only drops a blank document on my desktop not the updated version. Every time I try to get rid of the old Real Player it says it is open but I have nothing open.
wvtbred is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 25, 2008, 01:30 PM   #9
mattmarri
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
horse racing

hi

i had the same problem and have relocated to norway with a new mac .

So frustrated as i cant watch the racing at all now...

I contacted the racing post where the videos are and they said there arent enough mac users for it to make it worthwhile for them to modify the system so mac users can watch,...........

there must be many many mac users?!

i tried downloading various programmes none work
i even tried using mozilla firfox instead of safari

the only other thing we can do is purchase the windows sofware and install it on the mac

this is possible to do as i checked with the store

have yu tried this?
or found out how to watch another way yet?

i have had 3 faulty macs replaced in only 10 months
overall not a great experience
my latest model is the brand new generation lap top so hopefully its third time lucky

although i still cant watch the racing from kempton on boxing day
mattmarri is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 25, 2008, 01:39 PM   #10
montycat
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Florida
I use this...http://www.videolan.org/vlc/ MC
__________________
iMac 20-inch 2.0GHz 3GB memory Core 2 Duo 320GB
MacBookPro 13" 2.26 GHz 2GB memory 320GB 80GB iPod Classic iPhone 3GS 16GB
16GB iPod touch Magic Trackpad

Last edited by montycat; Dec 25, 2008 at 01:46 PM.
montycat is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 2009, 09:49 AM   #11
wvtbred
Thread Starter
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattmarri View Post
hi

i had the same problem and have relocated to norway with a new mac .

So frustrated as i cant watch the racing at all now...

I contacted the racing post where the videos are and they said there arent enough mac users for it to make it worthwhile for them to modify the system so mac users can watch,...........

there must be many many mac users?!

i tried downloading various programmes none work
i even tried using mozilla firfox instead of safari

the only other thing we can do is purchase the windows sofware and install it on the mac

this is possible to do as i checked with the store

have yu tried this?
or found out how to watch another way yet?

i have had 3 faulty macs replaced in only 10 months
overall not a great experience
my latest model is the brand new generation lap top so hopefully its third time lucky

although i still cant watch the racing from kempton on boxing day
Sorry I haven't replied sooner.

I ended up getting an account with one of the online betting services so I could watch and it works fine that way.
wvtbred is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18, 2009, 09:57 AM   #12
mattmarri
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by wvtbred View Post
Sorry I haven't replied sooner.

I ended up getting an account with one of the online betting services so I could watch and it works fine that way.

hi can you tell me which site you opened the account with ?
thanks
mattmarri is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18, 2009, 10:13 AM   #13
wvtbred
Thread Starter
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattmarri View Post
hi can you tell me which site you opened the account with ?
thanks
Twin Spires
wvtbred is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Mac Basics and Help

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
iPad: iPad won't connect to streaming video sites mantan iPad 0 Mar 21, 2014 11:29 PM
What Youtube Video did you just watch? Raris Community Discussion 4 Nov 1, 2013 10:56 AM
Can't Access Video on Canadian Sites? greener70 Mac Basics and Help 1 Jul 24, 2013 10:22 PM
Vider - Video Downloader (Supports YouTube,VeVo,Vimeo and more sites) Ralfj iPhone and iPod touch Apps 0 Dec 8, 2012 11:29 AM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:26 AM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC