Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

OneKiwi

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 12, 2008
I got a powerbook .

1 I was told that it worked but had pixel damage and that when it ran on the battery the screen flickered a bit

2 When I went to pick it up today the guy said that he tried to turn it on to reformatt the HD before I took it but it wouldn't turn on at all.

So what I got is
Powerbook G4 512mb + ?? mb I know there is 2 in there just specs on a sticker on one that I can see
60gb HD
15'' screen

What could the prob be?
What can I do? I tried the reset and PRAM thing ... nothing not sure I did it right though

Logic board
CMOS battery

Thinking that Ill ask here before taking it too someone

I know a few will wonder why but I didn't pay anything I got it for free so thought id check it out

spaceballl

macrumors 68030
Nov 2, 2003
San Francisco, CA
Could be a bad logic board. I had lots of similar problems when I had my old iBook G3. Screen would go wacko, then shut off - then dead. Had to get AAPL to repair it. If i tried to power it on, depending on which logic board i was on, it would either do NOTHING or it would just make some noises.

What kind of noises are you getting? If you hear a clicking noise and the screen has a question mark, you most likely have a dead harddrive.

If you hear nothing, then your logic board may be fried.

Does the screen light up?

As far as your memory goes, the easiest way to find out how much you have is to just open it up and look. If there are two sticks in there and you know one is 512mb, there's a good chance that the other one is 512mb as well.

OneKiwi

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 12, 2008
Thanks for the reply

Im not getting any noises at all the battery test button on the battery shows nothing but it should still work from the mains right??? without the battery in?

If you hear nothing, then your logic board may be fried:
Was thinking that, after all I have read,
Know any places I can get one?
Worth trying for a second hand one?

Does the screen light up? NO nothing but the charger cable lights up when I put it in the PB

Can I see what processor I have somehow, Don't I need to know if I want to replace it?

spaceballl

macrumors 68030
Nov 2, 2003
San Francisco, CA
You can't take out the processor as it's soldered onto the motherboard.

I have never used this company before, but maybe try pbmedic? I think http://www.pbmedic.com - i haven't tried their services, but they have lots of parts and offer repair services.

You can try combing eBay for spare parts, but then you still have to put it all together.

Also, I think Apple will replace the logic board for like $300 on out of warranty systems - can anyone confirm?

OneKiwi

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 12, 2008
Got some more info:

yes laptops should still run from mains lead only. If the colours red with no battery in then its messed up As it should be green for mains and not charging.
pressing the alt/option key should force the firmware to boot up ignoring the HDD. but if theres no power still then its a trip to the repair man. yes there should all so be a lot of noise when it boots up.
as for CPU G4s are just G4s + there speed they run at normaly + screen size of the lap top they run.
IE a 1.6ghz +G4 +17inch screen is a 1.6 Ghz PPC G4 ( 1.7), were as mine is a 3 year old 1.6Ghz PPCG4 (1.5)

I replied:

ok... yes the colour is a orange/red..
is it the power charging card /chip/ battery?
What could it be?
Sound expensive??

please excuse a mac noob

PS pity but im not in the states, prob gonna cost double that here in Sweden

OneKiwi

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 12, 2008
Would you believe it I was taking it apart preparing for maybe a new logicboard and just plain old tinkering
I think I reconnected something and now it works ...BUT the screen freezes with multi coloured lines vert + horiz at different times

and

It comes over like a wave of blurr freezes etc after a while normal but for not enough time to do anything

Have you got any idea whats going on, and how to solve it in the easiest, least troublesome way?

OneKiwi

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 12, 2008
thanks for the replys..

heres another Q

- been offered a mac mini cheap are they any good? Ill look in that forum too

I have a used but 100% working LB on the way in order to change them is it just a swap or is there lots of software stuff I need to do? like BIOS CMOS etc like for the pc?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.