Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

d.f

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 11, 2003
sorry for long title, but wanted to get right ot he point.

i just tried it but it didn't work. but the same account is still buying from my laptop.... so the account exists...

idea: would a 2nd hand US ATV be able to tell that it was connected in the UK, so this trick might till work..?

any help or other experiences appreciated. would love to watch some HD.

chuckles:)

macrumors 6502
May 3, 2006
CANADA
I'm wondering the exact same thing, i just rented a movie from iTunes using an american account, so i know that it works on a computer even if i happen to be in Canada.
If i can use it to rent on an apple tv too, then i'm going to buy one, but if it doesn't, then theres really no point.

mrklaw

macrumors 68030
Jan 29, 2008
yes

I have a UK apple TV, signed in with my US account (funded only by gift cards) and just bought the latest episode of Terminator.

result!

appletastic

macrumors member
Sep 7, 2005
yes

I have a UK apple TV, signed in with my US account (funded only by gift cards) and just bought the latest episode of Terminator.

result!

Seems to work for me too, although I have not tried rentals yet - but I did download LOST.

Nintendolinky

macrumors 6502a
Jan 29, 2008
update

just tried renting the core and it worked a treat, im a uk user with a US gift card funded account, best update ever by the way

macrumors 6502
Jan 28, 2008
UK
So if I go out and buy a £25 gift card from, let's say, Sainsburys, and tapped it into the USA store I could download movies ect?

bilbo--baggins

macrumors 6502a
Jan 6, 2006
UK
Has anyone watched an HD movie rental on a UK TV via HDMI? My Apple TV tells me it doesn't have an HDCP connection, even though my Toshiba LCD does use HDCP. Before I go out and buy another HDMI cable, I just wanted to check it wasn't some sort of 'region coding'?

gazfocus

macrumors 68000
Jan 3, 2008
Liverpool, UK
I've found that if you ask in the Marketplace, people are willing to buy iTunes cards and sell you them on here.

If you don't like eBay, if you can transfer the money into my bank or something, I'll be happy to get you some US iTunes cards.

I use a US iTunes account in the UK and works great (although I've not updated my AppleTV yet (that's tomorrows job)).

Anyway, if you want me to get you some iTunes cards, PM me.

Dingo Dave 69

macrumors 6502
Oct 23, 2007
US account in the UK setup questions

Hi all,

I have a UK itunes account on my pc and mac. I understand that I can create a new US account with giftcards but I have a few questions about this.

1: How does my computer work with 2 itunes accounts?
2: I want to be able to access my current library held on my pc but rent and download movies from the US account, how does this work with my current library? Does it just download and add to it?
3: If I buy something from the US store and then sign into my UK itunes account does the content I bought stay in the library?

I am maybe getting an apple tv tomorrow and would like to have this all working but would greatly appreciate if someone can tell me how it all works?

Thanks everyone.

Dingo Dave 69

macrumors 6502
Oct 23, 2007
US account in the UK setup questions

Hi all,

I have a UK itunes account on my pc and mac. I understand that I can create a new US account with giftcards but I have a few questions about this.

2: I want to be able to access my current library held on my pc but rent and download movies from the US account, how does this work with my current library? Does it just download and add to it?
3: If I buy something from the US store and then sign into my UK itunes account does the content I bought stay in the library?

I am maybe getting an apple tv tomorrow and would like to have this all working but would greatly appreciate if someone can tell me how it all works?

Thanks everyone.

pacmania1982

macrumors 65816
Nov 19, 2006
Birmingham, UK
Two accounts, one computer

Hey

I have two iTunes accounts, one for the US which I set up back in October 2006 during a visit to my friend, and a UK account

Basically - you activate your computer once you open a protected file. So if you open a file downloaded from the UK, it prompts you for your UK ID, if you download a file from the US store, it will prompt you for your US account details. Your computer will then be activated for both accounts, so if you need to reinstall for any reason remember to deactivate both accounts before you do this. The content you download STAYS in your library. It doesn't magically disappear. As Steve Jobs says - you download the file - whether-it-be music or video - its yours, you OWN it. You have one library with three kinds of media. The stuff you've ripped, the stuff you've downloaded from the UK store and one US store.

Same rule applies - you can activate up to 5 computers using both accounts, deauthorize them whenever.

hope this helps

pac

gazfocus

macrumors 68000
Jan 3, 2008
Liverpool, UK
Ok, so I've updated my Apple TV, but as the OP, I can't login to my iTunes account (I have a US one and a UK one, and neither work).

It seems strange because I can watch movie trailers and TV show previews, etc, but I can't sign in to either accounts.

Has anyone found a fix for this yet?

northy124

macrumors 68020
Nov 18, 2007
The Stuff you download has to be activated by the account you downloaded it with. So you bought a video from US Store it downloads but you have to activate it, you put in your US Account details and it works. The same as above also applies to UK Downloads same system different Stores.

The downloaded stuff just adds to the current iTunes Library so both UK and US stuff is there for you to view

Yes the content you bought from either store stays in your library it goes no where, your bought it, you own it.

Hope that you understand that LoL

Fergster

macrumors newbie
Jan 30, 2008
Ok, so I've updated my Apple TV, but as the OP, I can't login to my iTunes account (I have a US one and a UK one, and neither work).

It seems strange because I can watch movie trailers and TV show previews, etc, but I can't sign in to either accounts.

Has anyone found a fix for this yet?

I'm having the same problem today. I upgraded on Tuesday night and was able to log in and buy a TV show and rent a movie. I've not been around for the past couple of days and am now getting a log in problem.

gazfocus

macrumors 68000
Jan 3, 2008
Liverpool, UK
I'm having the same problem today. I upgraded on Tuesday night and was able to log in and buy a TV show and rent a movie. I've not been around for the past couple of days and am now getting a log in problem.

Is your apple ID a hotmail account or another? I've just changed my account to another email address so I will try that when I get home from work

Fergster

macrumors newbie
Jan 30, 2008
Is your apple ID a hotmail account or another? I've just changed my account to another email address so I will try that when I get home from work
Hi,
Its a googlemail account. I'll try changing it to another one to see if that helps. Strange as it has worked.

gazfocus

macrumors 68000
Jan 3, 2008
Liverpool, UK
Emailed Apple regarding this and this is the reply I got back:

Hello Gareth!
Many other customer's are experiencing this too. Apple is currently working hard toward a resolution for this issue you've reported. You will receive an email after the matter has been investigated and further information is available for me and for you. Thank you for your patience and understanding Gareth! Apple wants your iTunes experience to be as enjoyable as possible. I'll be in touch soon! Have yourself a good night!

Take care of yourself!!
Courtney
iTunes Customer Support

ojk7

macrumors member
Feb 5, 2008
Emailed Apple regarding this and this is the reply I got back:

Hello Gareth!
Many other customer's are experiencing this too. Apple is currently working hard toward a resolution for this issue you've reported. You will receive an email after the matter has been investigated and further information is available for me and for you. Thank you for your patience and understanding Gareth! Apple wants your iTunes experience to be as enjoyable as possible. I'll be in touch soon! Have yourself a good night!

Take care of yourself!!
Courtney
iTunes Customer Support

I got HD rentals working in the UK by first changing my aol screen name to a gmail itunes account and also ensuring that movie ratings were set to US NOT UK in Parental Control settings. It only let me purchase content after changing the Parental Control settings, might work for others.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.