Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Air

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Feb 12, 2008, 06:10 PM   #1
abijnk
macrumors 68040
 
abijnk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Send a message via AIM to abijnk
Death, Flashing Folders, and a Funny Apple Care Guy

So, I was surfing Ebay and my computer froze up and was acting all wierd, I couldn't do anything. I tried to force quit everything I was in to no avail, so I shut down my laptop manually Tried to start it back up again, and no go... I get the grey screen, but no Apple or spinning gear... Then to my dismay, I get a flashing folder with a question mark in it. Oh great, hard drive failure...

So, I am currently on the line with this really funny Apple Care guy who is trying to resolve my problems...

Quick opinions? I personally think my hard drive just died... Has anyone else with an Air had a hard drive die? I can't remember seeing any threads about it...
__________________
Abbie
Twitter
Hockey Ramblings
abijnk is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2008, 07:28 PM   #2
Quint
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Chances are you're hard drive isn't dead. More than likely you damaged a system file when you had to do a hard shutdown. If you have the external superdrive, try booting from the startup disc and run Repair Disk. If you have set up remote disc already, you may be able to boot from the system disc remotely. It is unlikely that you did any physical damage to the HDD and just need to repair the boot system.
Quint is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2008, 09:12 PM   #3
abijnk
Thread Starter
macrumors 68040
 
abijnk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Send a message via AIM to abijnk
Unhappy

Well, even the Apple Care guy who was a "mammal with a brain," as he kept referring to himself, couldn't help me...

My computer wasn't recognizing the hard drive anymore. I drove 2 hours to my local Apple store to get it exchanged, and the one they were supposed to be holding for me magically disappeared, along with all the rest in the Saint Louis stores... So, now I am typing this on a SR Macbook Pro, unfortunately I just can't be without a computer. Not a total loss, but I sure am going to miss the air. What a great computer...
__________________
Abbie
Twitter
Hockey Ramblings
abijnk is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2008, 01:01 AM   #4
djinn
macrumors 65816
 
djinn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Just as long as your happy, thats what counts.
__________________
MBA 13
iPhone 5s 32gig
djinn is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 4, 2009, 08:58 PM   #5
la101
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quint View Post
Chances are you're hard drive isn't dead. More than likely you damaged a system file when you had to do a hard shutdown. If you have the external superdrive, try booting from the startup disc and run Repair Disk. If you have set up remote disc already, you may be able to boot from the system disc remotely. It is unlikely that you did any physical damage to the HDD and just need to repair the boot system.
if there was physical damage, can they tell even if there is no external physical damage?
la101 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 4, 2009, 09:02 PM   #6
ziggyonice
macrumors 68020
 
ziggyonice's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Rural America
Depends on how bad the physical damage was. They won't open the hard drive up or anything, but it'd have to be quite bad to see anything -- even on the outside of the hard drive case itself.
__________________
MacBook Pro [First Generation] | 2.16GHz | 2GB RAM | 120GB HD | Mac OS X (10.6.4)
iPhone 4 | 32GB | Black (I couldn't wait for white any longer.)
ziggyonice is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 4, 2009, 09:42 PM   #7
manhattanboy
macrumors 6502a
 
manhattanboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: In ur GF's bed, Oh no he didn't!
Quote:
Originally Posted by abiyng87 View Post
Well, even the Apple Care guy who was a "mammal with a brain," as he kept referring to himself, couldn't help me...

My computer wasn't recognizing the hard drive anymore. I drove 2 hours to my local Apple store to get it exchanged, and the one they were supposed to be holding for me magically disappeared, along with all the rest in the Saint Louis stores... So, now I am typing this on a SR Macbook Pro, unfortunately I just can't be without a computer. Not a total loss, but I sure am going to miss the air. What a great computer...
Was this an SSD or HDD???
__________________
jeans, boots with the fur...gotta love summer!
manhattanboy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 4, 2009, 10:36 PM   #8
NC MacGuy
macrumors 603
 
NC MacGuy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: The good side of the grass.
This thread is over a year old.
Sure OP has moved on.
__________________
member #47,418
NC MacGuy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 4, 2009, 10:43 PM   #9
la101
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by NC MacGuy View Post
This thread is over a year old.
Sure OP has moved on.
true. but i am sure that this thread can help hundreds of other desperate searchers come closer to identify the problem with their computer.
la101 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Air

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
FOUR flashing folders in two weeks... What now?! KUguardgrl13 MacBook Pro 26 Dec 7, 2013 03:21 PM
Flashing Desktop Icons and Finder Folders joswagne Mac Basics and Help 6 Nov 4, 2013 08:35 PM
Apple Care, Apple Care Plus or Verizon Assurion?> jsf721 iPhone 1 Oct 9, 2012 08:07 AM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:48 AM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC