Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kfordham281

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 4, 2007
I'm looking to convert some video into an AppleTV friendly format. I know about VisualHub, anything else that is similar? So far VisualHub seems pretty decent but their demo is pretty limited so I'd like to try some other software before I choose to plunk down my cash. Thanks.

chameleon

macrumors regular
Mar 4, 2006
Albany, NY
VisualHub is amazing.

I tried a lot of different tools on both Mac and PC to do video format conversions. VisualHub is the only one that consistently worked, handled nearly every format I threw at it, and it's lightening fast.

I highly recommend it.

ebel3003

macrumors 6502a
Jun 20, 2007
"The Google"
I'm looking to convert some video into an AppleTV friendly format. I know about VisualHub, anything else that is similar? So far VisualHub seems pretty decent but their demo is pretty limited so I'd like to try some other software before I choose to plunk down my cash. Thanks.

VisualHub is actually only a front-end application for FFMpeg, which is free. There's a Mac OS X application called "FFMpegX" that provides the same functionality (Because it's FFMpeg) for free. The downside is, it's kind of a pain to use until you get used to it. Find it over at MacUpdate.com.

I use VisualHub myself, but have spent many hours working with FFMpegX in the past. If easy transcoding is what you need, VisualHub is the best place to look

kfordham281

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 4, 2007
I think I remember playing with FFMpegX back in Tiger early last year. From what I recall it was a PITA to work with. Anyone else got something? Looks like VH might take the cake.

ebel3003

macrumors 6502a
Jun 20, 2007
"The Google"
I think I remember playing with FFMpegX back in Tiger early last year. From what I recall it was a PITA to work with. Anyone else got something? Looks like VH might take the cake.

I've messed with VisualHub, FFMPeg, Stomp, and the works. VisualHub does take the cake.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.