Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

neocitron

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 4, 2003
Canada
Hey Guys.

Got my Air almost a week ago and I'm pretty happy so far.
However I'm getting random disconnects / air not finding the router occasionally, sometimes more than twice an hour. I'd come home and open the lid and my Air would say it couldn't find a preferred network.

I've tried deleting all the airport prefs in the system / library folders.

I've tried deleting my remembered networks from the network pref panel.

I've tried completely reformatting and installing os x (takes a while with remote disk)

I've tried resetting the parameter RAM (apple option P + R on reboot)

I've tried resetting the CMOS ( Shift control option POWER for 5 seconds)

I've tried messing with the router's settings. Currently i'm on n/g mode my Xbox 360 needs g. I'm using WPA security with AES encryption on channel 8, most my neighbors are one channel 6 or 11

I'm using a pretty well known router, Dlink DIR-655 extreme n with latest firmware. I'm also running 10.5.2 with all updates.

Note that this problem has been occurring since 10.5.1 for me.

Anyone with this router having issues as well?

PS: here is my unboxing of my Air.

Nickcaragwa

macrumors newbie
Feb 12, 2008
I have had similar issues in the past 2 weeks with my MacBook...I am usually able to resolve the problem by powering off the wireless access point (Netgear) and then powering back on...still have not found out what the cause of the problem is though.

lostless

macrumors 6502
Oct 22, 2005
I get the same with my mac book pro. I just go to the airport menu, select other network and type my ssid. Connects right away. beats me what it is.

dahcheet

macrumors regular
Feb 7, 2008
Harrisburg, PA
Any problems with signal strength?

I've noticed my Air scanning for wireless networks when I click on the Airport icon in the Menu Bar but I'm still connected to my router when it does the scan.

clayj

macrumors 604
Jan 14, 2005
visiting from downstream
I've noticed a couple of random network disconnects myself, each time during a long multi-hour syncing of my iPhone (which goes over the wireless between my MBA, where iTunes is running and the iPhone is docked, and my Mac Pro, where the music files live). I don't know if this is the MBA's fault, or my D-Link router's fault (I have a D-Link DI-634M), so I wouldn't assign blame just based on what I've seen so far. Could be the MBA, could be the router.

MazingerZ

macrumors 6502
Aug 22, 2007
I've noticed a couple of random network disconnects myself, each time during a long multi-hour syncing of my iPhone (which goes over the wireless between my MBA, where iTunes is running and the iPhone is docked, and my Mac Pro, where the music files live). I don't know if this is the MBA's fault, or my D-Link router's fault (I have a D-Link DI-634M), so I wouldn't assign blame just based on what I've seen so far. Could be the MBA, could be the router.

Have you tried a different brand of router?

clayj

macrumors 604
Jan 14, 2005
visiting from downstream
Have you tried a different brand of router?
:confused:

I'm not going to go buy another router to test this sort of thing. It's a minor inconvenience which only seems to be a bother when there's a long process that involves a continuous stream of information over the network... which is not something most people will do too often.

But there's an easy way to test it yourself: Fire up iTunes, pick an Internet radio station you like (I like Groove Salad), and hit play. See how long it plays before it cuts out due to a network issue.

MazingerZ

macrumors 6502
Aug 22, 2007
:confused:

I'm not going to go buy another router to test this sort of thing. It's a minor inconvenience which only seems to be a bother when there's a long process that involves a continuous stream of information over the network... which is not something most people will do too often.

But there's an easy way to test it yourself: Fire up iTunes, pick an Internet radio station you like (I like Groove Salad), and hit play. See how long it plays before it cuts out due to a network issue.

I do this every weekend with my SONOS system using my Airport Extreme..no problems at all. I've also tried linksys and belkin routers before and they work as advertised. D-Links on the other hand are crap, IMHO.

clayj

macrumors 604
Jan 14, 2005
visiting from downstream
I do this every weekend with my SONOS system using my Airport Extreme..no problems at all. I've also tried linksys and belkin routers before and they work as advertised. D-Links on the other hand are crap, IMHO.
Well, mine have worked perfectly (as near as I can tell) so far. I may consider upgrading to an N-capable router at some point, but I also need it to work perfectly with Xbox Live, which the Airport router does NOT do, from everything I've read.

dahcheet

macrumors regular
Feb 7, 2008
Harrisburg, PA
I think I saw a post somewhere that people have been having problems with their DLink routers after the upgrade to 10.5.2. Although you had your problems BEFORE 10.5.2 it could be seen as a common theme.

Did you try updating your router's firmware? That's one of the first things I try when I think something might be up with my router.

clayj

macrumors 604
Jan 14, 2005
visiting from downstream
I think I saw a post somewhere that people have been having problems with their DLink routers after the upgrade to 10.5.2. Although you had your problems BEFORE 10.5.2 it could be seen as a common theme.

Did you try updating your router's firmware? That's one of the first things I try when I think something might be up with my router.
I did have problems before AND after 10.5.2, so that's not it. And my router hasn't had a firmware update available since 2006... I think it has been officially EOLed by D-Link.

My (obsessive) need for continuity of branding means that the Airport may not work for me even if it does support Xbox Live, because I have a lot of wired network connections and the Airport Extreme only has two or three Ethernet ports... Apple sadly doesn't make a simple Ethernet 4- or 5-port switch that I could use to add additional wired network connections.

neocitron

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 4, 2003
Canada
Hi. Sorry for the late reply.
But i have a PC on the network that's running a Dlink extreme N card (3 ants)
that never cuts out... like never.

That basically narrows it down to my Air. My Xbox 360 also never cuts out of live.

It seems to happen during sustained transfers rather than just browsing the web.

weckart

macrumors 603
Nov 7, 2004
This is a known issue with Leopard. Have you checked the 10.5.2 wiki?

I have the same issues with my Macbook Pro SR and my Macbook C2D, both running 10.5.2. None with a Mac mini running 10.4.11.

wrinklefree

macrumors newbie
Feb 13, 2008
Im having the exact same problem before and after 10.5.2.

I have 3 other laptops on wireless, all XP/Vista and never had a problem with dropped connections. On the Air I can't stay connected for more than 20 mins before it cuts out. If I force it to reconnect it usually does, but drops again shortly after despite showing a full signal strength. Extremely frustrating!

I'm running a 1 yr old SBC wireless router/access point that I lease from ATT with the latest firmware. I tried changing channels but to no avail.

Doing a google search revealed other Macs have had similar problems but nobody has a real solution. I was hoping 10.5.2 would fix it, but it appears not.

now what?!

rich a

macrumors newbie
Feb 13, 2008
Having a similar problem myself, with my Netgear router. Every couple of minutes I will just lose my connection, but my Airport will still show that I have a signal. I'm having trouble with downloads as well, because of the erratic connection. It's actually really irritating.

But I'm thinking its more of a router issue, rather than the MBA, as I have no trouble when I'm using my girlfriend's wi-fi (she has Airport Extreme) or with my college's wi-fi.

Thi

macrumors member
Jan 25, 2007
Same here, after 10.5.2 the linksys is having the same problem as a dlink in a different location. Is anyone having this problem with airport extreme? I may have to buy a new router. Dlink has stopped support my router and its also time to upgrade to N.

neocitron

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 4, 2003
Canada
I seemed to have found some sort of stable setting here.

If you go into your router's preferences ( in my case i have a DIR-655 ) and turn off any QoS services, the connection seems solid afterwards, even waking from sleep.

Note that some routers don't even have wireless QoS services. In that case they may be permanently on or just unchangeable.

(stands for quality of service, basically gives priority and 'shapes' traffic to accommodate wireless clients, in this case, the MBA. Problem with this is that it actually changes the data flow from the cable/dsl modem in and out of the router... some wireless cards don't like that)

sookainian

macrumors regular
Feb 16, 2008
Singapore
I'm still having this internet dropping problems. Every 40 - 45 mins, the internet will automatically disconnect. Then i'll have to manually reconnect it. If not no matter how long i wait, it wont auto reconnect back.

I've tried pressing and hold the POWER for 10 - 15 seconds

I am using 2Wire 2700HGV-2, 2.4ghz G, channel 11 ( all my neighbor are using channel 6 ) WEP encryption, does not have QoS (off)

But still no luck. I'm quite worried is my MBair network card got problem ? because if have, i'll have to do a exchange before next week... :(

MazingerZ

macrumors 6502
Aug 22, 2007
I'm still having this internet dropping problems. Every 40 - 45 mins, the internet will automatically disconnect. Then i'll have to manually reconnect it. If not no matter how long i wait, it wont auto reconnect back.

I've tried pressing and hold the POWER for 10 - 15 seconds

I am using 2Wire 2700HGV-2, 2.4ghz G, channel 11 ( all my neighbor are using channel 6 ) WEP encryption, does not have QoS (off)

But still no luck. I'm quite worried is my MBair network card got problem ? because if have, i'll have to do a exchange before next week... :(

Again, I would say try a different router first.

sookainian

macrumors regular
Feb 16, 2008
Singapore
Again, I would say try a different router first.

I'm not sure on that. But my MacBook pro and window dasktop is working fine. They can stay connected for the whole day.

I also notice when i connect my bluetooth Mighty Mouse, my MacBook Air will disconnect in every 10 mins or faster.

How ? is it a software or hardware issue ?

BPerdeck

macrumors newbie
Jan 31, 2008
if my access point is G then that G signal gets sent to an extender then to an apple N airport then that sends the signal to my iMac, an I getting G or N signal?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.