Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ITguy31

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 11, 2008
Lima Ohio
In windows you have the UAC. Is there any way that you can get a mac to stop prompting you with a login screen when you try to change settings and/or download something? Its really starting to get annoying. Thanks.

Cromulent

macrumors 604
Oct 2, 2006
The Land of Hope and Glory
In windows you have the UAC. Is there any way that you can get a mac to stop prompting you with a login screen when you try to change settings and/or download something? Its really starting to get annoying. Thanks.

The difference between Windows version of security and the Mac version is that the Mac version actually offers some security by forcing you to type in your password.

You shouldn't be promted for your password if all you are doing is downloading a file though.

ITguy31

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 11, 2008
Lima Ohio
I guess being an admin for a college and having all windows and then throw a couple macs in the system gets a little frustrated. We got two macs in for me and the administrator and mine will not create mobile accounts and the administrator is annoyed with being prompted with the login in screen. He is used to how he can turn it off in windows and it just lets you do what you need to do and we like that. Maybe it will take some time getting used to. If anyone knows a way to turn it off or a script for it or something please let me know. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Cromulent

macrumors 604
Oct 2, 2006
The Land of Hope and Glory
I guess being an admin for a college and having all windows and then throw a couple macs in the system gets a little frustrated. We got two macs in for me and the administrator and mine will not create mobile accounts and the administrator is annoyed with being prompted with the login in screen. He is used to how he can turn it off in windows and it just lets you do what you need to do and we like that. Maybe it will take some time getting used to. If anyone knows a way to turn it off or a script for it or something please let me know. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

It is an inherint security feature. It is the same with any Unix system. That is why the sudo command is used so often from the command prompt, so that you do not need to login as root and thus risk damaging the data stored on your computer.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.