Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Apple TV and Home Theater

Old Feb 13, 2008, 12:29 PM   #1
richpjr
macrumors 68000

Ripped DVD movie size

I am toying with picking up an Apple TV to eliminate the DVD disk shuffle. I'd like to rip all my DVDs and store them on my computer. How big is an average ripped movie? Obviously some will be bigger than others, but I'd like a rough idea on how much stored I'll need for my movie collection.
richpjr is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2008, 12:32 PM   #2
TEG
macrumors 604

Send a message via ICQ to TEG Send a message via AIM to TEG Send a message via MSN to TEG Send a message via Yahoo to TEG Send a message via Skype™ to TEG
I've only ripped one movie, Star Trek II, and it currently takes up 900MB on my hard drive, mainly because movies for iPod/iPhone can't be as compressed as those for the Apple TV. If my other 'ripped' content is any indicator I'd expect ATV formatted files to be between 60-80% of my movie.

TEG
Old Feb 13, 2008, 12:34 PM   #3
samh004
macrumors 68020

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/4A93 Safari/419.3)

Between 900 and 1200MB in my case.
Old Feb 13, 2008, 02:23 PM   #4
HotRodGuy
macrumors regular

2-4GB in my case
HotRodGuy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2008, 02:52 PM   #5
roland.g
macrumors 603

At the correct setting expect about 1.5-2GB on avg. However also remember that movies in your iTunes library do not show up like the rentals with a poster style grid, instead the appear as a long list to scroll through which can become cumbersome at large amounts, unless you specifically sync just the movie your want. There are no movies playlists, or genre subfoldering in the Apple TV menu.
Old Feb 13, 2008, 03:29 PM   #6
EvilRob
macrumors member

I thought maybe some practical examples might help. From our library here:
  • The Shawshank Redemption, 2h16m, produces a 2.75GB file. Two pass encode into Handbrake's AppleTV profile, which is ~2500kbps MPEG-4 Main profile. This movie has 6ch sound, encoded directly from the original AC3 5.1 into six discrete AAC-LC channels.
  • Gosford Park, 2h11m, produces an 897MB file. One pass encode into Handbrake's iPod Highres profile, which is ~1500kbps MPEG-4 Basic profile. This movie has a Dolby ProLogic II surround soundtrack, mixed from the original AC3 5.1 soundtrack, stored in two AAC-LC channels.
These two examples are probably the top and bottom ends of the scale for SD material from your own DVDs. The first encode produces an output file of exceptional quality, almost indistinguishable from the DVD original. The second encode produces a small, iPod-compatible file at the minimum quality I would consider watchable on a large format display.

Both of these files include about 100kb of metadata atoms, including cover art. In the future, it's likely that these numbers will go up as we work out how to produce the MPEG-4 files used by the AppleTV to provide AC3 5.1 sound.
EvilRob is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2008, 04:01 PM   #7
roland.g
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilRob View Post
I thought maybe some practical examples might help. From our library here:
  • The Shawshank Redemption, 2h16m, produces a 2.75GB file. Two pass encode into Handbrake's AppleTV profile, which is ~2500kbps MPEG-4 Main profile. This movie has 6ch sound, encoded directly from the original AC3 5.1 into six discrete AAC-LC channels.
  • Gosford Park, 2h11m, produces an 897MB file. One pass encode into Handbrake's iPod Highres profile, which is ~1500kbps MPEG-4 Basic profile. This movie has a Dolby ProLogic II surround soundtrack, mixed from the original AC3 5.1 soundtrack, stored in two AAC-LC channels.
These two examples are probably the top and bottom ends of the scale for SD material from your own DVDs. The first encode produces an output file of exceptional quality, almost indistinguishable from the DVD original. The second encode produces a small, iPod-compatible file at the minimum quality I would consider watchable on a large format display.

Both of these files include about 100kb of metadata atoms, including cover art. In the future, it's likely that these numbers will go up as we work out how to produce the MPEG-4 files used by the AppleTV to provide AC3 5.1 sound.
I would concur with this. However I have not done any research into the audio settings and what the Apple TV can or cannot pass-through at this point in time. The only thing I would point out is that at 720 or 853 anamorphic Apple TV presets, then lowering the bitrate to 1500 or even 2000 provides indistinguishable results from the 2500 bitrate, at least in my experience, and saves HDD space.

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Apple TV and Home Theater