Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Thrash911

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 14, 2006
Jutland, Denmark
Hello,

As for torrent clients, I really prefer Azureus. In my oppinion it has MUCH better speeds. But.. I am now seeding 6 torrents (on a ratio site), and one of them has a whopping 63 gigs of data in it. The others are 15-20 gigs each. But Azureus really eats all the memory up, mostly because of the 63gig torrent. And that is irritating as hell!!

I tried Transmission in the past, but did not like it because of slow speeds. But lately I heard that it has gotten much better, so I wanted to give it a chance, again. It is my hope, that Transmission will not eat up as much memory.

This is the important setup of Transmission.. I use the SAME TCP port as I did on Azureis, and the port is OPEN (so, I also unticked the auto map port). Global max peers is 250 (SAME as in Azureus). It has now been seeding all my torrents for about 2 hours.. The upload speed is crawling at laughable 10-20 KB/s.. I can go as high as 200 KB/s.. In Transmission Preferences, I set a max upload to 180 KB/s, to have some bandwidth for other stuff, so it's not choking.

The torrents I'm seeding are in GREAT demand on that Torrent ratio site I'm a member of, and yet Transmission only picks up very few peers. Frustrating! WTH is wrong?

Azureus reaches sky-high upload speeds in 5-7 minutes! Can anybody tell me, what I might be doing wrong here? Because I don't get it.. :(

ebel3003

macrumors 6502a
Jun 20, 2007
"The Google"
Perhaps you could try playing with the amount of peers Transmission can connect to. I have a theoretical cap of 240 kb/s upload and most of the time, if I want to, I can meet that cap with uploads. I usually cap it at 50, where it usually pins at.

I have noticed however, the more torrents you have active at a time, the more significant drop in performance you have in result. Try seeding one or two at a time to see if this is the problem. Also, try using nightly builds every once and a while.

For good measure, here's a capture of my configuration window.

Attachments

• Picture 3.png
    Picture 3.png
    70.2 KB · Views: 352

killmoms

macrumors 68040
Jun 23, 2003
Durham, NC
I think it also can have something to do with the tracker you're on (and the clients used by the peers you connect to). I regularly max out my upload capacity on certain trackers and then barely hit anything on others. As long as you're using the latest version and are allowing it to connect to encrypted peers (since it now supports that), you're probably doing about all you can.

Thrash911

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 14, 2006
Jutland, Denmark
ebel3003, I set it up just like you. Except for the amount of global connections, but I took that down to match yours, to see what happens. Just for the hell ogf it.. ;)

killmoms, you have a good point. Maybe certain clients prefer certain clients. And yes, it will accept encrypted connections. And I use the latest version (1.05).

Thanks both of you! I knew I did it right.. :D And I just tried downloading something random which had a sh*tload of seeders, just to test it. It is not done yet, but it's at least downloading with acceptable speeds.

I will stick with Transmission for a few days, to see how it goes. But oooh.. I wish Azureus did not eat up all the RAM..

ebel3003

macrumors 6502a
Jun 20, 2007
"The Google"
I will stick with Transmission for a few days, to see how it goes. But oooh.. I wish Azureus did not eat up all the RAM..

That's why I switched over to Transmission from Azureus when it became Vuze. No regrets, Transmission flies. Hopefully you can fine tune it, I have a hunch that it's the tracker you're using because my downloads usually linger around 500 kb/s but cap at 1.5mb/s, while seeding usually sustains whatever cap I give it.

Thrash911

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 14, 2006
Jutland, Denmark
The community I was referring to, was Pleasuredome. Don't worry, it's not what it sounds like.. :)

It has picked up some speed now, but not as much as Azureus did. I guess it's only natural. I have read a lot about different torrent clients for OS X. It all boils down to either Transmission or Azureus. Azureus being the fastest and with most options, but hogs a lot of resources. Transmission being the most compact client, that does not hog a lot of resources, and gets the job done (although a little slower..).

I will stick with Transmission for now.

clayhalo

macrumors newbie
Jun 23, 2009
Topanga, CA
How to set up Transmission

I'm a newbie and was wondering how to set up Transmission so it accesses all the torrent sites I use. In Vuze, I just have to do a search for what I want to dl, and it takes me to everything that's available.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.