Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rtjstevens

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 20, 2004
Sheffield + Bath UK
I'm always amazed when there's a really good piece of Apple news... and then so many negatives in the ratings footer.
So, one day I decided to read some of the negative comments by clicking on the appropriate word - only to find that there was no such link and that I'd just added to the number of 'negatives'! I'm sure many others must have made the same mistake and I'm busy trying to suggest a suitable change in the wording...

BW

RTJ

samh004

macrumors 68020
Mar 1, 2004
Australia
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/4A93 Safari/419.3)

Nope. Everyone has a different reason fit rating positive or negative. An aperture update is negative for instance because I wanted a macbook pro instead today.

rtjstevens

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 20, 2004
Sheffield + Bath UK
Positives and negatives

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/4A93 Safari/419.3)

Nope. Everyone has a different reason fit rating positive or negative. An aperture update is negative for instance because I wanted a macbook pro instead today.
Sorry, I think you mis-understand. I meant that one clicks on the word 'negative' expecting to see the negative comments - not to have that key-press counted as a 'negative' (well, -that was my case anyway - of course you only do it once!).
So, according to the way you seem to do things... if a brand new Mac Pro is announced that trounces the opposition, I vote 'negative' because I wanted an update to iTunes. Is that what you mean? Do others do this?

Thanks, RTJ

CalBoy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2007
Well to me it's quite clear that "positive" and "negative" refer to simple votes. Comments are entirely separate.

That's why both "positive" and "negative" are prefaced with "Rating:"

Comments is one line below to help avoid that very confusion. :)

samh004

macrumors 68020
Mar 1, 2004
Australia
Wirelessly posted (iPod touch: Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/4A93 Safari/419.3)

As calboy said, I'm not confused. However what I said earlier was an example. Some people do rate negatively because its not the update they wanted, silly as that may be.

rtjstevens

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 20, 2004
Sheffield + Bath UK
Positives and negatives

Wirelessly posted (iPod touch: Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/4A93 Safari/419.3)

As calboy said, I'm not confused. However what I said earlier was an example. Some people do rate negatively because its not the update they wanted, silly as that may be.

OK; thanks; I'll leave it.

BW

RTJ

Zwhaler

macrumors 604
Jun 10, 2006
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; U; Intel Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/523.15.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0.4 Safari/523.15)

Yeah, I've never had such a problem. But maybe other do, which is why some announcements are rated so low. Or for the reasons mentioned above, such as people hoping for a MBP update and getting Aperture 2

Snookerman

macrumors 6502
Jul 6, 2008
How do you actually rate the news? I can't click on the rating in the footer and I can't find anything in the forum thread either, except for the 5 star rating.

spinnerlys

Sep 7, 2008
forlod bygningen
How do you actually rate the news? I can't click on the rating in the footer and I can't find anything in the forum thread either, except for the 5 star rating.

Strangely both, positive and negative, use a different link, but nothing happens, even after a reload.

4662529351_1e2a8674d1.jpg
4662529345_342f3d0087.jpg

Snookerman

macrumors 6502
Jul 6, 2008
Ok, I just found the buttons, they are only on the front page, but I always open the separate news page, since I open them from an RSS feed and strangely enough, you can't rate there. But yeah, like spinnerlys said, clicking them doesn't change anything. Also, the ratings seem to differ from the front page. For instance, the top news right now has 19 positives, but if i click it to open only that news, it has only 17. :rolleyes:

WildCowboy

Administrator/Editor
Staff member
Jan 20, 2005
As noted in our FAQ, in order to save on server loads, the rating counts do not update in real-time...they only update once every few minutes. But rest assured that your vote counts...clicking once is sufficient, and it will be included in the updated tallies during the next refresh.

The periodic refresh also explains why you may see different counts on the front page and on the article page, as they don't necessarily refresh at the same time.

Snookerman

macrumors 6502
Jul 6, 2008
Oh, ok, thanks for the answer. Just a suggestion, it would be good if it were possible to rate on the article page as well.

pirateRACE

macrumors 6502
Feb 1, 2010
How some things can even garner negatives blows my mind.

I'm sure you can equate some to trolls, but geesh! No pleasing the masses!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.