Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MarkW19

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 13, 2002
Surrey, UK
I'd like to connect my MBP up to my TV, which is relatively old, so just has a SCART input.

Is it possible to buy a DVI-SCART cable, and if so, should I expect full DVD quality to be output from my MBP (iTunes movie rentals/media mainly) to my TV?

Thanks!

R.Youden

macrumors 68020
Apr 1, 2005
I'd like to connect my MBP up to my TV, which is relatively old, so just has a SCART input.

Is it possible to buy a DVI-SCART cable, and if so, should I expect full DVD quality to be output from my MBP (iTunes movie rentals/media mainly) to my TV?

Thanks!

Hi,

What you need is a DVI to composite cable, and then a SCART adaptor that accepts the composite cable, I will be back in a minute with the links.

EDIT:

OK, you will need the following:

DVI - s-video adaptor

S-video to composite cable

Composite to SCART

I used to do this with my mini and it worked great. The picture quality is pretty good, can't remember if it is DVD quality but i won't be far off.

MarkW19

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 13, 2002
Surrey, UK
Hi,

What you need is a DVI to composite cable, and then a SCART adaptor that accepts the composite cable, I will be back in a minute with the links.

Thanks!

I've actually got a composite SCART adaptor (SCART plug with 3 composite phono inputs on it, yellow red/white).

So I guess I need a DVI-D - composite video cable, AND a stereo minijack-L/R composite audio cable (as the DVI will only carry the graphics obviously)?

Will I get full DVD quality from iTunes?

EDIT: How about the official Apple one, with a Mini-DVI to DVI converter or something: http://www.shiroi.co.uk/apple-apple...ml?PHPSESSID=b88ddcafdba8344c6ccb35af17aac507

R.Youden

macrumors 68020
Apr 1, 2005
Thanks!

I've actually got a composite SCART adaptor (SCART plug with 3 composite phono inputs on it, yellow red/white).

So I guess I need a DVI-D - composite video cable, AND a stereo minijack-L/R composite audio cable (as the DVI will only carry the graphics obviously)?

Will I get full DVD quality from iTunes?

EDIT: How about the official Apple one, with a Mini-DVI to DVI converter or something: http://www.shiroi.co.uk/apple-apple...ml?PHPSESSID=b88ddcafdba8344c6ccb35af17aac507

If you have a MacBook Pro then you will need the standard DVI to S-video as I linked above. The mini DVI is for MacBook and iMac only.

MarkW19

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 13, 2002
Surrey, UK
Hi,

EDIT:

DVI - s-video adaptor

Composite to SCART

I used to do this with my mini and it worked great. The picture quality is pretty good, can't remember if it is DVD quality but i won't be far off.

Awesome, thanks! It's just a cheaper option for me until I get a new telly and get an Apple TV!

So, the video/audio cable you linked to: I plug the minijack into my headphone port, and the S-video into the Apple adaptor; then the 2 composite audio and the composite video go into the SCART adaptor?

Did you find it nice and sharp/crisp quality for watching movies?

Thanks for your help :)

anirban

macrumors 6502a
Jan 9, 2007
Houston, TX
Hi,

EDIT:

DVI - s-video adaptor

Composite to SCART

Nice job Youden! The links are helpful, a friend of mine wanted to do something similar.

R.Youden

macrumors 68020
Apr 1, 2005
So, the video/audio cable you linked to: I plug the minijack into my headphone port, and the S-video into the Apple adaptor; then the 2 composite audio and the composite video go into the SCART adaptor?

Did you find it nice and sharp/crisp quality for watching movies?

Yup, got it in one.

The picture quality is good. I used to have a mini connected to my TV and I used to watch ripped DVDs that had been encoded / decoded through handbrake. Now I am not a visual expert but that system was good enough for me!

I can't imagine that you are a major vision guru, otherwise you would have the latest, all signing, all dancing HD TV.

Enjoy watching your TV through your laptop.

MarkW19

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 13, 2002
Surrey, UK
I can't imagine that you are a major vision guru, otherwise you would have the latest, all signing, all dancing HD TV.

Enjoy watching your TV through your laptop.

Very true, audio is my thing, but I still have an eye for detail, and wouldn't want to watch anything too blocky/not smooth etc.

Thanks for your help :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.