Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

thecellar

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 13, 2008
hello all,

i am new here, and registered for the sole purpose of getting advice on purchasing a macbook pro.

all i am sure on right now is that i am going to go with the 15" model. I will be using this for every day use, e-mail, internet, etc, plus i also do stand up comedy and will eventually be using it for edit/uploading live clips, and shorts, possibly website maintanence?, and and maybe podcasts.

my questions are:
1. what is the benefit of 2.4ghz vs 2.2 ghz? Is it necessary, or is there that big of a difference, Finacially i am leaning toward the 2.2 and upgrading to 4gb ram...

2 screen: glossy or matte?

3. Has any one found that purchasing from dealers on ebay, to be troublesome, i saw cheaper prices for brand new macbooks(/A MODELS)?

4. SHould i wait for the update that has been rumored, iyo is it really worth it?

any advice/answers would be great.......thanks

kuebby

macrumors 68000
Jan 18, 2007
MD
1. The base model is plenty powerful. Be sure to get that 4GB of RAM from someone other than Apple.
2. Personal choice really.
3. I'd recommend against getting one on eBay, too big a chance of a problem. Better to get from the Apple refurbished store.
4. Wait for the new models, it should be pretty soon.

jonswan

macrumors regular
Jul 26, 2007
For what you're going to do 2.2 is more than enough.

It would not make any sense to buy the current model at the Apple store considering the updates are round the corner. Getting a refurb might be an idea, though when the new ones come out (probably end of Feb) then maybe you could go for the 2.2 option. With eBay it's up to you entirely. The Macs I've bought on eBay have been old Clamshells and they are usually worse than what the seller says.

Do not buy extra RAM from Apple - that would be clinically insane. Buy from a reputable seller and put it in yourself in about 3 minutes + spend the $400 you will save on a free iPod Touch.

Glossy or matte - only you can decide what you have for breakfast, which tie to wear, who to go out with, so the best bet is to go to the store and see for yourself. I had a matte MBP as it seemed to fit better with the computer. I have the new iMac with the glossy screen and love it.

gothamm

macrumors 6502a
Nov 18, 2007
hello all,

i am new here, and registered for the sole purpose of getting advice on purchasing a macbook pro.

all i am sure on right now is that i am going to go with the 15" model. I will be using this for every day use, e-mail, internet, etc, plus i also do stand up comedy and will eventually be using it for edit/uploading live clips, and shorts, possibly website maintanence?, and and maybe podcasts.

my questions are:
1. what is the benefit of 2.4ghz vs 2.2 ghz? Is it necessary, or is there that big of a difference, Finacially i am leaning toward the 2.2 and upgrading to 4gb ram...

3. Has any one found that purchasing from dealers on ebay, to be troublesome, i saw cheaper prices for brand new macbooks(/A MODELS)?

4. SHould i wait for the update that has been rumored, iyo is it really worth it?

1. get the 2.2 ghz. I personally wouldn't get the 2.4 ghz if it were $200 more, let alone 5 benji's. like the poster above me said, get some 3rd party RAM from newegg.

2. I like glossy, but sometimes it can be annoying, especially if your room gets sunlight. so depending on your lighting conditions, and need for color accuracy, i'd sway either way.

3. I suppose you could go the ebay route. just make sure the seller has at least over 100 in feedback. if you REALLY want bang for the buck, i'd buy a refurb 2.2 mbp from apple.com. Or if you are a student, just buy one brand new and have peace of mind.

4. a month ago, i would have said no on waiting for the update. But damn, its really really time they update the thing. if you absolutely don't need it, i'd definitely recommend updating.

hope that helps and welcome to macrumors =]

superleccy

macrumors 6502a
Oct 31, 2004
That there big London
1. The 2.2GHz will do you fine. Actually, if you can put up with the glossy-only and smaller screen (and hell you can always get a nice external display), the 2.2GHz MB (maxed-out with 4GB 3rd party RAM) would probably do you fine too.

2. Personally, Matte, as it gives better colour accuracy and is less reflective. But search these forums for approximately 1,000,000 existing discussions on this topic.

3. IMO, when buying a something like a current-model laptop from eBay the amount of money you save at the end of the day isn't worth the worry and potential aggro. If you're short of cash go for a refurb and/or go MB instead of MBP.

3. I'd get a MB now or wait for the MPB. But that's up to you. The guessing/waiting game is part of being an Machead. See elsewhere on the forum for further discussion.

TopGear300

macrumors regular
Jun 21, 2007
Wait!!

1. The 2.2 will do you fine.. its not the .2 ghz difference that you will notice... you will notice the 4gb of memory!! That is worth the money!!

2. I say glossy.. i love the glossy but It is personal preference.. If you have a bright area where u will be using it matte is better ( dosent reflect) and also depends on what you are using it for

3. I love eBay haha... im actually thinking of picking up myself a powerbook from eBay. Just make sure it is a good seller with a good feedback rateing!!

4. WAIT!!! Trust me... you won't regret the short time until the new mbp are out. They should be pretty sweet :apple:

hotsauce

macrumors 6502a
Sep 7, 2005
hello all,

my questions are:

That wasn't funny at all.

thecellar

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 13, 2008
thanks everyone for the info......i think i'm going to wait a few weeks to see if the new model comes out. plus i found out i'm eligible for an educational discount. that helps.

thanks again

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.