Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macrules

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 25, 2003
I am just about to purchase a mac. Now i go to the apple store and look at the imac. It says it comes preinstalled with Jaguar and not panther.

Is this true, or have they not updated their site.
Please help

Thanks

macrules

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 25, 2003
yes i noticed that the ibooks and emacs (they are both new) have it preinstalled. But when you go to the imac or powerbook or g5 they dont have it.

alset

macrumors 65816
Nov 9, 2002
East Bay, CA
All Macs will have Panther from here on. Just watch that you don't get a machine that has been on the shelf for a month at CompUSA or something.

Dan

Giaguara

macrumors 6502a
Nov 22, 2002
when you walk to apple store, you can get it preinstalled. if its not, it comes with pantehr anyway, and if you don't want to isntall panther yourself, just ask the geniuses to install it for you. :)

Sheebahawk

macrumors member
Apr 2, 2003
Long Beach California
actually

to give comp usa some credit, I went over there just to check out the new g5's and more importantly panther. Panther was installed on every mac, and despite the weak selection, Only single processor g5's ( those are soo fast, (in panther) can't wait for a pbg5) a few g3 ibooks, a lot of emacs, and a handful of imacs, there was a pretty big crowd around the apple 'store'. people were waiting in line to use the emacs even. on the other hand none of them had much software or even internet connetions. The apple displays are always the biggest and brightest ones at compusa too.

yamabushi

macrumors 65816
Oct 6, 2003
I just called Apple today and they said that currently only iMacs and eMacs come with Panther preinstalled from online or phone sales. Wierd.

all-in-my-head

macrumors member
Oct 25, 2003
UK
Originally posted by yamabushi
I just called Apple today and they said that currently only iMacs and eMacs come with Panther preinstalled from online or phone sales. Wierd.

Yeah i found this too, very annoying. Waiting to place an order for a G5 which i thought was tailored towards panther! Any ideas when they will ship with panther? Can't wait :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.