Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mangoman

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 27, 2002
Second Floor
Anyone out there install Panther on an upgraded machine? I've got a 933 that I ramped up to 1.4GHz with an Other World Computing processor upgrade card. I know that Apple doesn't officially support such cards, and I know that it's usually not an issue. Guess I'm just wanting to hear from someone who's successfully installed Panther on an upgraded machine before I take the plunge.

Thanks!

YakkerGuy

macrumors newbie
Oct 25, 2003
mangoman,

I own a Powermac G4 '00 model upgraded with a Sonnet 1.4GHz G4 processor. I installed 10.3 on Friday and it has run without a hitch.

Prior to purchase, I contacted Sonnet about possible incompatibility issues. They told me that Apple qualifies a machine based on the motherboard and not the CPU, so to me that means just about any upgrade CPU is fine with 10.3.

Beige G3's and early Powerbook G3's will need a software patch to run 10.3 since they have been dropped from Apple's compatibility list.

mangoman

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 27, 2002
Second Floor
Originally posted by YakkerGuy
mangoman,

I own a Powermac G4 '00 model upgraded with a Sonnet 1.4GHz G4 processor. I installed 10.3 on Friday and it has run without a hitch.

Prior to purchase, I contacted Sonnet about possible incompatibility issues. They told me that Apple qualifies a machine based on the motherboard and not the CPU, so to me that means just about any upgrade CPU is fine with 10.3.

Beige G3's and early Powerbook G3's will need a software patch to run 10.3 since they have been dropped from Apple's compatibility list.

Cool, man. Thanks for the good info!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.