Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

WHM

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 5, 2008
South
Wife bought a MacAir tonight, 1.6 80 HDD. She has a iMac desk top and we are tranfering via air from that machine. The message we are getting says 14 hours? can this be correct? How long did it take for you to transfer from another mac to the MacAir?

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
Depending on the amount of stuff to transfer and your wireless speed, that's not hard to believe. Can you more the Mac (or Macs) closer to the wireless router to improve the speed of the connection(s)?

NC MacGuy

macrumors 603
Feb 9, 2005
The good side of the grass.
It took me 12 - 13 hours to migrate 50G data & user from a MBP to Air via wireless so depending on actual size of data, it may be correct. I just set mine up early evening and by next morning it was finishing. I couldn't wait to play with my new toy and oh so wished that the Apple store I bought my Air at had an USB - Enet dongle but not so lucky so wireless it was.

WHM

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 5, 2008
South
Bummer

The best way you can optimize speeds of course is to use 802.11n
Exactly a week before MacWorld I purchased the newer Airport Extreme and another express. Had my network rocking and could not believe how much faster it was working. After the announcement of the Time Capsule had to return the new Airport because the Time Capsule made more sense. So of course the 802.11g is not as fast as the 802.11n, I can see the difference. Now I might have a bigger

PROBLEM started the transfer last night and it was working fine. This morning my wife beat me to the setup to check. The desktop said transfer complete and a place to quite the installer disk, which of course she did. Now the MacAir ballon is spinning and the screen says transferring your system settings. How can this be is the mothership iMac has already finished transferring the data?
When my wife hit the quite button the installer stopped. Would it have started another stage if my wife would have left it alone? Or is the MacAir just putting everythin in place it has already sucked in and no need to start the whole process over? HELP

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.