Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > Mac Applications and Mac App Store

Old Feb 14, 2008, 09:57 PM   #1
1nteresting
macrumors member

How to install plug-ins in Safari

I am using Windows XP SP2, (going to switch to Mac as soon as I get enough money!), and I want to know how to install a plug-in in Safari 3.0.4, mainly, Inquisitor.

I've found the "Plugins" folder that is in the Safari application folder, I just don't know whether to put the entire folder there, or a certain file. >_<

Thanks for your help!

If you need any more information let me know.
1nteresting is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 14, 2008, 11:17 PM   #2
TheStu
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1nteresting View Post
I am using Windows XP SP2, (going to switch to Mac as soon as I get enough money!), and I want to know how to install a plug-in in Safari 3.0.4, mainly, Inquisitor.

I've found the "Plugins" folder that is in the Safari application folder, I just don't know whether to put the entire folder there, or a certain file. >_<

Thanks for your help!

If you need any more information let me know.
So you downloaded Inquisitor, and it was a .exe? Because I was fairly certain that inquisitor was an OS X only plugin. I didn't even know that Safari for Windows (and why are you using Safari for Windows?) could have plugins...
Old Feb 15, 2008, 12:25 PM   #3
1nteresting
macrumors member

Well, After I downloaded Inquisitor, I only got two folders, not even a .exe, or .dmg. I open the folders, only to get another folder named contents... which leads to two other folders and a .dist file.

I'm assuming Safari for Windows can have plug-ins because if you go in the plug-ins folder, there are already two pre-installed.

And... I'm using Safari for Windows because it rocks. In my opinion.
Old Feb 15, 2008, 01:13 PM   #4
clevin
macrumors G3

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1nteresting View Post
Well, After I downloaded Inquisitor, I only got two folders, not even a .exe, or .dmg. I open the folders, only to get another folder named contents... which leads to two other folders and a .dist file.

I'm assuming Safari for Windows can have plug-ins because if you go in the plug-ins folder, there are already two pre-installed.

And... I'm using Safari for Windows because it rocks. In my opinion.
no, plugin folder is for plugins, defined traditionally as Flash, embed video, java, adobe reader. plugins are essentially part of some webpages, not for the expansion of browser functions.

There are always pros and cons, you think safari for windows rocks, I take it you already considered the realality of its defects as well.
clevin is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2008, 01:16 PM   #5
psychofreak
Retired

Inquisitor is OSX only, and likely always will be. If Watanabe stretches to another platform away from SafariForMac then it will likely be back to Camino.
psychofreak is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2008, 02:24 PM   #6
1nteresting
macrumors member

Oh well, thanks for all of your help guys. Just another reason to get a mac.

On inquisitors website, to my knowledge, it stated nothing about it could only run on Mac OS X, so I kinda hoped...

About my Safari likings: It used to crash a ton on my PC, but now it doesn't crash as often. Another thing it doesn't have is themes, add-ons etc... and such, like firefox. But overall, I like the feel of it, and it tends to load things faster.
Old Feb 15, 2008, 02:35 PM   #7
clevin
macrumors G3

well, "not crash as often" is indeed an improvement from "crash alot". lol

But yes, it runs much better on OSX than it does on windows, like every piece of app apple written for windows. I have the feeling that apple just doesn't know how to write high quality windows apps.
clevin is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 7, 2008, 02:24 AM   #8
tomasio
macrumors newbie

or maybe..

..apple just doesn't give a damn. On the other hand, why do they release sth. like Safari for Win then?
tomasio is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5, 2009, 04:37 AM   #9
WiseMax
macrumors newbie

I do have the same question... but for MAC.
Just got a plugin to read XML files... but no idea about where to put/install it.
This is for MAC. Any help?

P.S.: Safari for Windows is like Sir CrashALot
Safari for Mac is decent... but dull and grayish. FireFox is decent on both Mac & Windows... but still crashes some. Windows Internet Explorer 8 (now in RC1) rocks!

Safari has now a v: 4 beta - hope it is less dull and crashes less haven't tried it yet, but willing to do so soon.
WiseMax is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5, 2009, 06:05 AM   #10
SHADO
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by WiseMax View Post
Just got a plugin to read XML files... but no idea about where to put/install it.
This is for MAC. Any help?

P.S.: Safari for Windows is like Sir CrashALot
Safari for Mac is decent... but dull and grayish. FireFox is decent on both Mac & Windows... but still crashes some. Windows Internet Explorer 8 (now in RC1) rocks!

Safari has now a v: 4 beta - hope it is less dull and crashes less haven't tried it yet, but willing to do so soon.
Internet Explorer is last in every tested benchmark. There's a reason Firefox became so popular...
Old Mar 6, 2009, 12:12 AM   #11
1nteresting
macrumors member

It's funny that you guys post in my topic when it's been a year... how did you find it?

Anyways, I am excited to announce that I have a shiny new Macbook Pro! So now... I can install inquisitor. Lulz.
Old Mar 6, 2009, 03:22 AM   #12
tomasio
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Windows Internet Explorer 8 (now in RC1) rocks!
I was using Firefox since version 0.9 and _never_ switched back to IE. Asides from other disadvantages, Microsoft does not care about HTML/CSS-Standards and is thus a major blocker in making functional webpages. Reason enough to boycott them.
tomasio is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 6, 2009, 05:17 AM   #13
WiseMax
macrumors newbie

@1nteresting:

I got a MacBook Pro too (customized: the fastest processor, double RAM and 7,200 RPM HD) Nice machine, but super-way overpriced
Same thing goes for my MacBook Air - but I love the bitch's design and screen (the first one, the non-reflective one). Actually, the screen of the MacBook Pro is my biggest gripe - I really do not need a stupid mirror!... Those reflective covers should be forbidden.

@All:

Well, I still don't know how to add a plugin or add-on (in a Mac) to Safari!...

Anyone Help?...
Old Mar 6, 2009, 05:47 AM   #14
danb77
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Well, I still don't know how to add a plugin or add-on (in a Mac) to Safari!...

Anyone Help?...
Almost all plugins come with either an installer (double-click on the install package and it installs) or they need you to copy certain files into certain directorys.

There is normally an explicit help-file which tells you what to do. Which plugin are you having trouble with?
danb77 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 6, 2009, 08:43 AM   #15
WiseMax
macrumors newbie

Thanks, danb77.

I should have done what you said!

The plugin I was puzzled about was designed by Marc Lyanage and is obtainable at the following link:

http://www.entropy.ch/software/macosx/xmlviewplugin/

I was a bit dumb by not reading the installation instructions!...
Old Mar 6, 2009, 08:56 AM   #16
WiseMax
macrumors newbie

BTW, for anyone out there with the same doubt, maybe this is a common answer (check actual plug-in instructions, though!): put it into the Library -> Internet Plugins folder in your home folder.

MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > Mac Applications and Mac App Store