Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

southbark

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 15, 2006
how can get a fax from your phone or rather recieve it i was told there is a way

t0mat0

macrumors 603
Aug 29, 2006
Home
There are internet services which allow you to receive faxes- basically they receive it, digitise it, then keep it on a website/email it to you.

It's worth the OP having a look into it.

Excellerator

macrumors 6502a
Aug 3, 2008
I use trustfax.com and it will send the fax as an email to you. It is in PDF format which can be played on the iPhone.

scaredpoet

macrumors 604
Apr 6, 2007
Short answer: Unfortunately, you cannot easily fax directly from your iPhone without using a third party service such as eFax, myFax or the many clones like them out there.

The long answer:

What you would need to make faxing directly from the phone work is called Circuit Switched Data (CSD). The hardware inside the various iPhone models technically supports it, and technically, so do most parts of the legacy Cingular/AT&T wireless networks.

But, you've got two obstacles to overcome before you can make it happen. First, you need to get AT&T to provision CSD ono your account. that's going to be ahrd to do since they've been trying to get rid of CSD altogether for a long time now.

Second, you would need software that would make the iPhone accept AT Faxmodem commands from a USB link to your computer, or issue those commands internally if you're picking your documents from within the iPhone. That same app would need to be able to connect with the internal modem when you're receiving faxes, and convert the data into a PDF or some other type of document. Considering what's involved, I have a feeling Apple probably wouldn't approve such an app, leaving you to have to make it a Cydia app or something like that.

Considering I haven't really seen any such apps for the iPhone, it's probably either pretty hard to do, or isn't something that enough people are even interested in anymore. it's probably a little of both.

Given all that you'd have to do to make it work, you'd be better off googleing the many fax-to-email companies out there and singing up with one of them.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.