Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

johnbro23

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 12, 2004
Pittsburgh, PA
I plug in and out my iPhone about once every hour if I'm sitting by my computer to take a call or whatever else I want to do on my iPhone.

Why does Apple think you want to see the iPhone panel in iTunes when you plug it in? It messes with my music controls - especially if I pause while looking at the iPhone panel, iTunes will forget what song you were playing.

Anyone else with me?

arkitect

macrumors 604
Sep 5, 2005
Bath, United Kingdom
Yes and no. :eek:

Not too bad as I really only dock my iPhone last thing at night… so I hardly notice what it does.

But yes, on rare occasions it has been a bit of a pain — especially if I am in the iTunes store. :)

bbeers

macrumors regular
Dec 14, 2007
Maryland
Yes!!

Oh my god yes. I hate that. There needs to be a way to disable that. I use my computer to charge my iPhone, and I don't want it to pop up and stop everything. I just want it to charge.

Flyer0815

macrumors 6502
Dec 11, 2007
PA
Im with you on this....Absolutley hate when this happens. Ive considered just plugging the phone into the power brick instead.

SFC Archer

macrumors 68000
Nov 9, 2007
Troy, MT
Yes it still does. I tried that. I have mine to manual sync and it still does this for me.

Actually, this in not entirely true. If you select "Manual Sync" in options and also go to your setting tab and select manual sync then it does not start all of the stuff you are debating about. I can plug and unplug mine to my hearts content and it does not interfere with anything I am doing in iTunes or on my computer until I click on the iPhone icon and tell it to do something.

Set it up to do manual sync in both locations and you should be good to go.

Good Luck

bbeers

macrumors regular
Dec 14, 2007
Maryland
Actually, this in not entirely true. If you select "Manual Sync" in options and also go to your setting tab and select manual sync then it does not start all of the stuff you are debating about. I can plug and unplug mine to my hearts content and it does not interfere with anything I am doing in iTunes or on my computer until I click on the iPhone icon and tell it to do something.

Set it up to do manual sync in both locations and you should be good to go.

Good Luck

I will have to give that I look and see if I have it set to manual in only one location or both. Hopefully that will fix it for me.

waterskier2007

macrumors 68000
Jun 19, 2007
Novi, MI
i have to say this is the dumbest thread. if you keep plugging and unplugging just to get the charge, use the power brick that it comes with. it charges better and it wont annoy you. are people that helpless?

bbeers

macrumors regular
Dec 14, 2007
Maryland
i have to say this is the dumbest thread. if you keep plugging and unplugging just to get the charge, use the power brick that it comes with. it charges better and it wont annoy you. are people that helpless?

Except when your power brick is at your work desk and you are at home. I use my phone often enought that I do like to have a charger near by for when I drain the battery.

iPhelim

macrumors regular
Oct 24, 2007
I only find it annoying when iTunes is minimised, I plug the phone in and iTunes feels it must pop up and announce that i've plugged an iPhone in.....

waterskier2007

macrumors 68000
Jun 19, 2007
Novi, MI
Except when your power brick is at your work desk and you are at home. I use my phone often enought that I do like to have a charger near by for when I drain the battery.

why dont u just take your power brick wherever you are. [/sarcasm] i know the brick is so huge that it sucks lugging it around, but come on people [/sarcasm]

sr5878

macrumors 6502a
Jun 5, 2007
if there was a checkbox to prevent it, would it really bother the people who like when itunes pops up to the front of all windows, switches to the iphone page, syncs everything automatically with no human interaction, and doesnt switch back to whererever you were beforehand?

but yeah guys good idea... every time i want to charge but not sync my iphone i should reach around and unplug the cable from my usb hub, find the brick under my desk, and plug it in. excellent idea. will give it a try :)

waterskier2007

macrumors 68000
Jun 19, 2007
Novi, MI
but yeah guys good idea... every time i want to charge but not sync my iphone i should reach around and unplug the cable from my usb hub, find the brick under my desk, and plug it in. excellent idea. will give it a try :)

i guess u have a point but i have multiple cables from other ipods and such. so my brick is always plugged in with the dock on my desk and when i wanna sync i just use a diff cable w/o the dock

sr5878

macrumors 6502a
Jun 5, 2007
i guess u have a point but i have multiple cables from other ipods and such. so my brick is always plugged in with the dock on my desk and when i wanna sync i just use a diff cable w/o the dock

.... but apple gave me one cable for one dock to do both at the same time.

they cant add two lines of code into itunes for 'background sync'?

waterskier2007

macrumors 68000
Jun 19, 2007
Novi, MI
.... but apple gave me one cable for one dock to do both at the same time.

they cant add two lines of code into itunes for 'background sync'?

idk i guess i figure most people who have an iphone have previously owned some kind of ipod so they should have another cable. but we all know what happens when a person assumes

ntrigue

macrumors 68040
Jul 30, 2007

+1

Its not healthy for the battery to plug/unplug that frequently. Get a power brick (the USB end plugs right-in) if you never sync your iPhone. Unplug the cradle itself.

brinycbri

macrumors 6502a
Mar 13, 2007
its a windows thing, not an iphone thing, dont have a problem with it when i plug it in my mac...but like any device for windows, the message pops up

southerndoc

Contributor
May 15, 2006
USA
I do find it annoying that iTunes pops up when I have it minimized.

There should be an option to disable the automatic popup when the iPhone is plugged in. It wouldn't be too much trouble to create such an option.

Some people here seem to get way too defensive when someone suggests something as an idea when others may see it as a flaw. Apple isn't perfect, and neither are Macs, iPhones, iPods, or anything Apple creates.

Being open minded and trying to accomodate most people's wishes within reason will help make Apple products even better.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.