Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

noxiron

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 26, 2003
Hello everyone!
i have the question with upgrade to "Panther" from "Jaguar",
first, what is better - upgrade or archive and install?
and if i choose to do "archive and install" what would happend with my music in iTunes or photos in iPhoto, and what about the apps what came with Jaguar like - Apple Works, World Book and Quicken, do i have to reinstall everything again?

Currently I have the iMac G4 1Ghz, 768 Mb ram, and running "Jaguar" 10.2.8
Any help will be GREATLY APPRECIATED!!!
thanks in advance!!!

Alex

snickelfritz

macrumors 65816
Oct 24, 2003
Tucson AZ
Probably more important than the installation method, is the health of your HDD and permissions.
I've read numerous problem threads from people that used all of the various methods of installation.
Personally, I chose the default "upgrade" option, and let the installer make as many of the choices as possible.
Worked perfectly on my 1ghz G4PM.
(upgraded from 10.2.8)

Check the Panther readme file, and Installation and Setup Guide for firmware updates etc...
Disable third-party system extensions.
(things like docks, menu and font utilities, etc...)
Back up all important files, then repair permissions.
Boot from your current OS CD and repair the volume.
Boot from the Panther Disk 1 and upgrade.
After everything is finished and you're booted into Panther(about an hour) repair permissions again.

Your files, settings, etc... will likely be exactly as they were before, except of course, your iMac will now be running on steroids.

noxiron

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 26, 2003
thank you for advice.
my computer is for 3 users, so I hope that my users will have the unchenged prefs.
thank you again.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.