Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ViperrepiV

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 25, 2008
I have a 1.8/SSD Macbook Air with the external superdrive.

This is my first mac, and i was curious about iDVD. I figured i'd try to burn a few videos off my computer (downloaded episodes of a TV show) into a video DVD so I could watch them on a DVD player.

During the process of setting up the menu structure, etc, iDVD crashed about 3 times. once it randomly quit, and two other times it beachballed forever.

Then when i finally got it going, i let it convert the videos and burn overnight, and when i checked on it this morning, it had "unexpectedly quit"

I know many of you will be like "that isn't what the MBA is for." And while I agree with you, i originally left iDVD on the system when i reinstalled the OS because i figured that i might want to burn a dvd video, especially since i bought the superdrive attachment.

So just do you know, unless you plan on burning photo slideshows to a dvd, you can leave iDVD out, even if you have the superdrive. Needless to say i used AppZapper to take the program out and free up aboue 600MB of space

robby818

macrumors 6502a
May 2, 2007
that's unfortunate...I loaded iDVD for the same reason--the occasional short DVD since I bought the external Superdrive. Perhaps it's just software bugs that can be fixed by future updates?

I'll leave iDVD out when I replace the hard drive with an SSD later this year. :D

dthree36

macrumors regular
Feb 4, 2008
I will give it a try tonight an see what happens when I run and try to create a DVD with my 1.8 and SSD along with my super drive.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
Actually iDVD 08 is pants!

Seriously it has some serious issues that still have not been addressed, such as the fact at times you drag 4:3 movie and it then displays it in 16:9 or vice versa.

All the other iDVD's were far more stable than this.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.