Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Apple TV and Home Theater

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Feb 15, 2008, 03:50 PM   #1
Pedgie06
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
External HD question

This might sound like a weird question, but I figured someone here might know the answer. I have a macbook pro g4 with a 80gig hd. I want to keep all my music on my laptop, but I want to have all my movies and tv shows on my 300gb external hardrive.

So my question is: is there any way to have itunes run off both hard drives? Last time I that I tried to add movies from my external drive, iTunes copied them into my music folder as well. Can I stop iTunes from doing that and just run the movies from my external hd?
__________________
http://lonman06.com/
Pedgie06 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2008, 04:36 PM   #2
FreeState
macrumors 65816
 
FreeState's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: San Diego, CA
There are at least two ways of doing this.

One is to change your preferences every time you add a movie so it wont copy it (see attached screen capture for proper settings). Or the easiest is when you import a move into iTunes via drag and drop of the file hold down the option key at the same time.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Untitled-1.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	57.7 KB
ID:	103083  
FreeState is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2008, 11:59 PM   #3
harpoon
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
move your media where you want it, then hold down option and drag. It's good to do that with video media, and have your audio media go to a 'home' spot on iTunes.
harpoon is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16, 2008, 01:24 AM   #4
Pedgie06
Thread Starter
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeState View Post
There are at least two ways of doing this.

One is to change your preferences every time you add a movie so it wont copy it (see attached screen capture for proper settings). Or the easiest is when you import a move into iTunes via drag and drop of the file hold down the option key at the same time.
I turned off the copy to itunes folder, is it really necessary to keep that on anyways?

Whenever I download music from itunes or buy a tv show, doesn't it go into my itunes folder anyways?

Is that option just for music that is added from elsewhere?
__________________
http://lonman06.com/
Pedgie06 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16, 2008, 10:27 AM   #5
MikieMikie
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Newton, MA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedgie06 View Post
I turned off the copy to itunes folder, is it really necessary to keep that on anyways?
It's easier to keep the checkbox UNchecked. Off.

Quote:
Whenever I download music from itunes or buy a tv show, doesn't it go into my itunes folder anyways?
Yes.

Quote:
Is that option just for music that is added from elsewhere?
Yes, as well as movies you've ripped...
MikieMikie is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Apple TV and Home Theater

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
External HD Question Stevi MacBook Pro 2 Mar 22, 2014 03:03 PM
External HD question dedalus Mac Basics and Help 4 Jul 21, 2013 06:02 PM
external screen question hemagoku MacBook Pro 5 Jul 7, 2012 05:10 AM
External HD question macappletex Mac Peripherals 5 Jun 26, 2012 02:25 AM
External HD question macappletex MacBook Pro 11 Jun 19, 2012 05:23 PM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:16 AM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC