Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Picture Gallery

Old Jan 25, 2009, 07:33 PM   #126
ingenious
macrumors 65832

Send a message via AIM to ingenious Send a message via MSN to ingenious Send a message via Yahoo to ingenious Send a message via Skype™ to ingenious
Here's my connection at University... on a busy evening over the weekend.

I can get up to 10MBit up and down, but obviously, not right now...

It's nice that my upload and download speed are comparable, though. That NEVER happens.

Update on a weeknight:

Wired:

Wireless:

Last edited by ingenious; Feb 10, 2009 at 11:29 PM.
ingenious is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2009, 07:56 PM   #127
DoFoT9
macrumors P6

Send a message via AIM to DoFoT9 Send a message via MSN to DoFoT9 Send a message via Skype™ to DoFoT9
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFStateStudent View Post
Too funny! Yup, I caught it just a bit after I posted, thanks. Hopefully things will change for you guys "down under." That's just not fair...
baha things wont change until i move into another country or start a new ISP business myself. thats what we get for letting a public company (with only profits for its investors its priority and not for its customers) rule the country!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheReef View Post
Our plan is 1.5 Mbps…(less in practice)…yeah. I don't think anyone else here has the right to winge

We, like many live too far from any exchange to get anything faster.
oh wow.. up until 2 years ago our whole country was still in dial up mode lol, i remember when our house used to have 2 computers with the shared connection, NOT FUN! im sorry to hear of your slow connection man, that sucks. whats your download limit?
DoFoT9 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27, 2009, 07:48 PM   #128
diehldun
macrumors 6502a

diehldun is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27, 2009, 09:47 PM   #129
Cboss
macrumors 6502

93463 kb/s down and 62711 up

I love the internet at college. Much better than the ≈40 kb/s at home.
Cboss is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27, 2009, 10:52 PM   #130
alphaod
macrumors Core

Quote:
Originally Posted by diehldun View Post
Yeah, but you have a 10GB/month limit

And I use that much bandwith in like an hour.
Old Feb 28, 2009, 02:41 AM   #131
DoFoT9
macrumors P6

Send a message via AIM to DoFoT9 Send a message via MSN to DoFoT9 Send a message via Skype™ to DoFoT9
Quote:
Originally Posted by diehldun View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphaod View Post
Yeah, but you have a 10GB/month limit

And I use that much bandwith in like an hour.
at those speeds i would too!!!
Old Feb 28, 2009, 02:58 AM   #132
maestrokev
macrumors 6502a

- CDN$37.50/mth >> $32.50 FIRST FOUR MONTHS, no contract, quit anytime
- Download Speed: 10Mbps / Upload Speed: 10Mbps
- Dynamic IPs: 2
- Email Accounts: 10
- Email Account Space: 100MB / Personal Web Space: 100MB
- Domain Hosting: Optional
- Data Transfer: 110 GB up, 110GB down

It's pathetic we don't have more home ISP competition in Canada. I envy the speeds some of you guys are posting.
Old Feb 28, 2009, 03:10 AM   #133
DoFoT9
macrumors P6

Quote:
Originally Posted by maestrokev View Post

- CDN$37.50/mth >> $32.50 FIRST FOUR MONTHS, no contract, quit anytime
- Download Speed: 10Mbps / Upload Speed: 10Mbps
- Dynamic IPs: 2
- Email Accounts: 10
- Email Account Space: 100MB / Personal Web Space: 100MB
- Domain Hosting: Optional
- Data Transfer: 110 GB up, 110GB down

It's pathetic we don't have more home ISP competition in Canada. I envy the speeds some of you guys are posting.
- $100Aus a month
- 24 month contract
- ADSL2+ (20Mbps download, 1Mbps upload
- 1 email
- email = 20MB storage
- 25gb download AND upload combined.
- you bastard (lol)
Old Feb 28, 2009, 03:30 AM   #134
maestrokev
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoFoT9 View Post
- $100Aus a month
- 24 month contract
- ADSL2+ (20Mbps download, 1Mbps upload
- 1 email
- email = 20MB storage
- 25gb download AND upload combined.
- you bastard (lol)
Did you know if you switch to Telstra broadband you save AUS$10/month over ADSL2? Just don't believe their crap about 30Mbs download speeds - I had a long chat with one of their installers and he said that's marketing crap.
Old Feb 28, 2009, 03:41 AM   #135
DoFoT9
macrumors P6

Quote:
Did you know if you switch to Telstra broadband you save AUS$10/month over ADSL2? Just don't believe their crap about 30Mbs download speeds - I had a long chat with one of their installers and he said that's marketing crap.
hahahahahahahahaahahahahahahahaha

ok im sorry but i think you have absolutely no idea what you think you know. no offense at all intended.

• i AM with telstra bigpond.

• the $10 off is for ONE YEAR ONLY (we had $89.95 for a year!!! wow!! now its $99.95!!!)

• they advertise at ADSL2+, they state in ALL their advertisements that the maximum is 20,000kbps. (i get around 17,000kbps and im very close to the exchange).

• telstra SUCKS

sorry to sound rude, im just VERY passionate about it and sharing how bad this company actually is. im glad the stupid CEO has gone back to his country.
Old Feb 28, 2009, 04:02 AM   #136
defender
macrumors member

This is mine, BE Unlimited UK

defender is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 2009, 04:43 AM   #137
maestrokev
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
hahahahahahahahaahahahahahahahaha

ok im sorry but i think you have absolutely no idea what you think you know. no offense at all intended.

• i AM with telstra bigpond.

• the $10 off is for ONE YEAR ONLY (we had $89.95 for a year!!! wow!! now its $99.95!!!)

• they advertise at ADSL2+, they state in ALL their advertisements that the maximum is 20,000kbps. (i get around 17,000kbps and im very close to the exchange).

• telstra SUCKS

sorry to sound rude, im just VERY passionate about it and sharing how bad this company actually is. im glad the stupid CEO has gone back to his country.
Yeah Trujillo made Telstra even worse ... if that's possible.

Telstra broadband being cheaper than Telstra ADSL is a little advertised fact since they're managed as separate depts. Their ADSL dept will anything to keep you from switching over to broadband.

I switched to broadband because my ADSL2 speeds sucked. With broadband I get the advertised max 1Mbs up but more like 10Mbs down. After over 1yr I'm still paying $89.95. In fact, the first 6 months of a new contract or moving over from ADSL you get 50% off. I made the switch last year.
Old Feb 28, 2009, 04:44 AM   #138
richard.mac
macrumors 603

Send a message via Skype™ to richard.mac
Telstra bigpond is not very good. its too expensive for the speeds and data limits you get.

im on Internode ADSL2+ Extreme on for AU$60 a month on a 24 month contract you get

- 24Mbit/s (im getting 5Mbit/s)
- 25 gig download quota (unlimited uploads)
- 5 email accounts
- 50MB webspace
- unmetered content (game patches, game videos and Revision3 HD podcasts)

used to be on Bigpond and for the same monthly price i had ADSL speeds with only 12 gig of download quota.
richard.mac is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 2009, 04:47 AM   #139
maestrokev
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by richthomas View Post
telstra bigpond is not very good. its too expensive for the speeds and data limits you get.

im on Internode ADSL2+ Extreme on for AU$60 a month on a 24 month contract you get

- 24Mbit/s (im getting 5Mbyte/s)
- 5 email accounts
- 50MB webspace
- unmetered content (game patches, videos and HD Revision3 podcasts)

used to be on Bigpond and for the same monthly price i had ADSL speeds with only 12 gig of download quota.
Yeah, I prefer Internode over Telstra, but unfortunately ADSL2 still runs over Telstra's outdated cabling before it hits Internode's DSLAM's so ADSL2 doesn't work for me. Only with cable broadband was I able to see decent speeds. I'll gladly leave Telstra broadband if Internode had broadband in my area.
Old Feb 28, 2009, 04:56 AM   #140
chas0001
macrumors 6502a

I am on Telefonica's ADSL in Spain.

3 MBit/s (Getting 2.5)
Unlimited Download Quota

They charge €40 a month for ADSL (about $51). Its very expensive, quite slow, but reliable. Unfortunately they control all the telephone lines and their competition charge a similar price for the same speeds. They are also very slow at updating their telephone exchanges.

Don't you just love monopolies.
Attached Images

chas0001 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 2009, 05:15 AM   #141
DoFoT9
macrumors P6

Quote:
Yeah Trujillo made Telstra even worse ... if that's possible.

Telstra broadband being cheaper than Telstra ADSL is a little advertised fact since they're managed as separate depts. Their ADSL dept will anything to keep you from switching over to broadband.

I switched to broadband because my ADSL2 speeds sucked. With broadband I get the advertised max 1Mbs up but more like 10Mbs down. After over 1yr I'm still paying $89.95. In fact, the first 6 months of a new contract or moving over from ADSL you get 50% off. I made the switch last year.
Trujillo = badness!!

what is the difference between broadband and ADSL?? they are the same no? i thought it was broadband ADSL... or is broadband cable?

Quote:
Originally Posted by richthomas View Post
Telstra bigpond is not very good. its too expensive for the speeds and data limits you get.

- 24Mbit/s (im getting 5Mbit/s)
- 5 email accounts
- 50MB webspace
- unmetered content (game patches, game videos and Revision3 HD podcasts)

even internode isnt that good... TPG is excellent for downloading, 200gb per month i think is a great deal considering the price of everybody else. for $50 my friend gets 25gb at the gold coast which is pretty decent.

i wish naked DSL would hurry up and get cheaper.

Quote:
Yeah, I prefer Internode over Telstra, but unfortunately ADSL2 still runs over Telstra's outdated cabling before it hits Internode's DSLAM's so ADSL2 doesn't work for me. Only with cable broadband was I able to see decent speeds. I'll gladly leave Telstra broadband if Internode had broadband in my area.
wish we had cable in our area, but even if we did get it the speeds would be around 20mBit, so hardly an upgrade at all.. i just want more data and faster upload speeds!!! 1Mbps upload is PATHETIC.

we are seeing some people on here with 50Mbps upload, and even 100Mbps download.. they are paying around the same as us and its insane.
Old Feb 28, 2009, 05:21 AM   #142
maestrokev
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Trujillo = badness!!

what is the difference between broadband and ADSL?? they are the same no? i thought it was broadband ADSL... or is broadband cable?

we are seeing some people on here with 50Mbps upload, and even 100Mbps download.. they are paying around the same as us and its insane.
Sorry, should be more specific, broadband cable. Broadband can be cable or adsl.

What home provider is giving 100/50 in Aus? How much are they paying?
Old Feb 28, 2009, 05:23 AM   #143
DoFoT9
macrumors P6

Quote:
Sorry, should be more specific, broadband cable. Broadband can be cable or adsl.
ok that makes sense, no biggy.

Quote:
What home provider is giving 100/50 in Aus? How much are they paying?
i should have been more specific too you cant get that in australia. i was just saying we are seeing 100/50 on this forum.
Old Feb 28, 2009, 05:29 AM   #144
maestrokev
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
ok that makes sense, no biggy.

i should have been more specific too you cant get that in australia. i was just saying we are seeing 100/50 on this forum.
It's painful when I go back to Sydney as I'm used to cheap internet in Vancouver - and no contracts.

This is my Cdn ISP. Would cost me CDN$180/month to get 50Mbs down! Best part is that upload and download limits are separate and with cloud computing I store tons online.

Always looking for a new ISP in Sydney as I've got another 9 months left on my 2yr contract.
Old Feb 28, 2009, 05:35 AM   #145
DoFoT9
macrumors P6

Quote:
It's painful when I go back to Sydney as I'm used to cheap internet in Vancouver - and no contracts.

This is my Cdn ISP. Would cost me CDN$180/month to get 50Mbs down! Best part is that upload and download limits are separate and with cloud computing I store tons online.

Always looking for a new ISP in Sydney as I've got another 9 months left on my 2yr contract.
hhhmm that is fairly expensive i guess, but for the download speed and the data its unbelievable.

the biggest downloads i have seen is from a company called TPG, at 200gb/ADSL2+. the problem is you get 60gb on peak (9am-4am) and 120gb offpeak (4am-9am). basically gives you 5 hours a day to download a massive load of stuff. RIDICULOUS!

they charge AU$80 ($65CA) per month, and of course in this rip off of a country both downloads AND uploads count towards your usage. oh and you get capped to 64k/64k when you go over

great...
Old Feb 28, 2009, 06:27 AM   #146
neiltc13
macrumors 68040

I am on O2 Broadband "Access" in the UK. This is O2's broadband product for people who live outwith their ADSL2+ coverage area, and it is provided over the standard British Telecom ADSL network.

The advertised speed is "up to 8mbit/sec" and I do (at the correct times) see speeds of up to about 7mbit/sec.

Performance in the last few weeks though has been terrible. In the evenings it can drop below 1mbit/sec, which I really think is not on.

If anyone from the UK is reading this, please visit Sam Knows and enter your town name, post code or telephone number. On the right you will see a table which lists "LLU Operator Presence". These are the providers who have installed their equipment in your local telephone exchange. By going with them you usually get much better performance (many of them are ADSL2+ instead of ADSL) and much lower monthly fees.

Unfortunately for me though:
neiltc13 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 2009, 06:36 AM   #147
Peace
macrumors P6

4AM :-)

Peace is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 2009, 06:38 AM   #148
Bennieboy©
macrumors 65816

Send a message via MSN to Bennieboy©

not sure about those numbers lol, downloading torrents thru opera and the speeds i see on those are kinda confusing lmao .oO( fastest torrent speed so far peaked at 22,000Kpbs or there abouts )Oo. and that was during the day
Old Feb 28, 2009, 06:38 AM   #149
wfoster
macrumors 6502a

wfoster is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 2009, 09:15 AM   #150
stridemat

I feel your pain, Im with O2 Access too. It is meant to be up to 8mb/s. I work during the day and this is the only time when the internet is actually useable. By the time I get home its like this:-

Hardly better than dial-up, and with that ping, gaming is near impossible. Hopefully they fix it soon as I used to get great speeds. Im am seriously jealous of some of you guys speed!!!

MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Picture Gallery