Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Picture Gallery

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Jan 25, 2009, 07:33 PM   #126
ingenious
macrumors 65832
 
ingenious's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Kansas, United States
Send a message via AIM to ingenious Send a message via MSN to ingenious Send a message via Yahoo to ingenious Send a message via Skype™ to ingenious
Here's my connection at University... on a busy evening over the weekend.



I can get up to 10MBit up and down, but obviously, not right now...

It's nice that my upload and download speed are comparable, though. That NEVER happens.

Update on a weeknight:


Wired:


Wireless:
__________________
15.4" Unibody MacBook Pro 2.8 GHz
20" iMac G5 2.0 GHz (media center)
400 MHz PowerMac G4 Sawtooth (server)

Last edited by ingenious; Feb 10, 2009 at 11:29 PM.
ingenious is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2009, 07:56 PM   #127
DoFoT9
macrumors P6
 
DoFoT9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: CWB, Hong Kong
Send a message via AIM to DoFoT9 Send a message via MSN to DoFoT9 Send a message via Skype™ to DoFoT9
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFStateStudent View Post
Too funny! Yup, I caught it just a bit after I posted, thanks. Hopefully things will change for you guys "down under." That's just not fair...
baha things wont change until i move into another country or start a new ISP business myself. thats what we get for letting a public company (with only profits for its investors its priority and not for its customers) rule the country!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheReef View Post
Our plan is 1.5 Mbps…(less in practice)…yeah. I don't think anyone else here has the right to winge

We, like many live too far from any exchange to get anything faster.
oh wow.. up until 2 years ago our whole country was still in dial up mode lol, i remember when our house used to have 2 computers with the shared connection, NOT FUN! im sorry to hear of your slow connection man, that sucks. whats your download limit?
__________________
Official MacRumors IRC @ irc.krono.net #macrumors (Or http://kewlirc.net:9090/)
2012 2.5GHz Mac Mini Dual - 16GB RAM
Win8 PC - i5-3570k - 16GB RAM - SSD
DoFoT9 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27, 2009, 07:48 PM   #128
diehldun
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
diehldun is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27, 2009, 09:47 PM   #129
Cboss
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Colorado
93463 kb/s down and 62711 up

I love the internet at college. Much better than the ≈40 kb/s at home.
Cboss is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27, 2009, 10:52 PM   #130
alphaod
macrumors Core
 
alphaod's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: 上海 (Shanghai)
Quote:
Originally Posted by diehldun View Post
Yeah, but you have a 10GB/month limit

And I use that much bandwith in like an hour.
__________________
Mac Pro | iMac | Mac mini | MacBook Pro | MacBook Air | iPad | iPhone | iPod
alphaod is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 2009, 02:41 AM   #131
DoFoT9
macrumors P6
 
DoFoT9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: CWB, Hong Kong
Send a message via AIM to DoFoT9 Send a message via MSN to DoFoT9 Send a message via Skype™ to DoFoT9
Quote:
Originally Posted by diehldun View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphaod View Post
Yeah, but you have a 10GB/month limit

And I use that much bandwith in like an hour.
at those speeds i would too!!!
__________________
Official MacRumors IRC @ irc.krono.net #macrumors (Or http://kewlirc.net:9090/)
2012 2.5GHz Mac Mini Dual - 16GB RAM
Win8 PC - i5-3570k - 16GB RAM - SSD
DoFoT9 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 2009, 02:58 AM   #132
maestrokev
macrumors 6502a
 
maestrokev's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Canada


- CDN$37.50/mth >> $32.50 FIRST FOUR MONTHS, no contract, quit anytime
- Download Speed: 10Mbps / Upload Speed: 10Mbps
- Dynamic IPs: 2
- Email Accounts: 10
- Email Account Space: 100MB / Personal Web Space: 100MB
- Domain Hosting: Optional
- Data Transfer: 110 GB up, 110GB down

It's pathetic we don't have more home ISP competition in Canada. I envy the speeds some of you guys are posting.
__________________
MP 2010, 27" and 24" CinemaDisplay, MiniServer, MBA 13" Ultimate, TimeCapsule, iPhone 5, ATV 1&2, iPad3 3G, iPad Mini
maestrokev is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 2009, 03:10 AM   #133
DoFoT9
macrumors P6
 
DoFoT9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: CWB, Hong Kong
Send a message via AIM to DoFoT9 Send a message via MSN to DoFoT9 Send a message via Skype™ to DoFoT9
Quote:
Originally Posted by maestrokev View Post


- CDN$37.50/mth >> $32.50 FIRST FOUR MONTHS, no contract, quit anytime
- Download Speed: 10Mbps / Upload Speed: 10Mbps
- Dynamic IPs: 2
- Email Accounts: 10
- Email Account Space: 100MB / Personal Web Space: 100MB
- Domain Hosting: Optional
- Data Transfer: 110 GB up, 110GB down

It's pathetic we don't have more home ISP competition in Canada. I envy the speeds some of you guys are posting.
- $100Aus a month
- 24 month contract
- ADSL2+ (20Mbps download, 1Mbps upload
- 1 email
- email = 20MB storage
- 25gb download AND upload combined.
- you bastard (lol)
__________________
Official MacRumors IRC @ irc.krono.net #macrumors (Or http://kewlirc.net:9090/)
2012 2.5GHz Mac Mini Dual - 16GB RAM
Win8 PC - i5-3570k - 16GB RAM - SSD
DoFoT9 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 2009, 03:30 AM   #134
maestrokev
macrumors 6502a
 
maestrokev's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoFoT9 View Post
- $100Aus a month
- 24 month contract
- ADSL2+ (20Mbps download, 1Mbps upload
- 1 email
- email = 20MB storage
- 25gb download AND upload combined.
- you bastard (lol)
Did you know if you switch to Telstra broadband you save AUS$10/month over ADSL2? Just don't believe their crap about 30Mbs download speeds - I had a long chat with one of their installers and he said that's marketing crap.
__________________
MP 2010, 27" and 24" CinemaDisplay, MiniServer, MBA 13" Ultimate, TimeCapsule, iPhone 5, ATV 1&2, iPad3 3G, iPad Mini
maestrokev is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 2009, 03:41 AM   #135
DoFoT9
macrumors P6
 
DoFoT9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: CWB, Hong Kong
Send a message via AIM to DoFoT9 Send a message via MSN to DoFoT9 Send a message via Skype™ to DoFoT9
Quote:
Originally Posted by maestrokev View Post
Did you know if you switch to Telstra broadband you save AUS$10/month over ADSL2? Just don't believe their crap about 30Mbs download speeds - I had a long chat with one of their installers and he said that's marketing crap.
hahahahahahahahaahahahahahahahaha

ok im sorry but i think you have absolutely no idea what you think you know. no offense at all intended.

• i AM with telstra bigpond.

• the $10 off is for ONE YEAR ONLY (we had $89.95 for a year!!! wow!! now its $99.95!!!)

• they advertise at ADSL2+, they state in ALL their advertisements that the maximum is 20,000kbps. (i get around 17,000kbps and im very close to the exchange).

• telstra SUCKS

sorry to sound rude, im just VERY passionate about it and sharing how bad this company actually is. im glad the stupid CEO has gone back to his country.
__________________
Official MacRumors IRC @ irc.krono.net #macrumors (Or http://kewlirc.net:9090/)
2012 2.5GHz Mac Mini Dual - 16GB RAM
Win8 PC - i5-3570k - 16GB RAM - SSD
DoFoT9 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 2009, 04:02 AM   #136
defender
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
This is mine, BE Unlimited UK

defender is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 2009, 04:43 AM   #137
maestrokev
macrumors 6502a
 
maestrokev's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoFoT9 View Post
hahahahahahahahaahahahahahahahaha

ok im sorry but i think you have absolutely no idea what you think you know. no offense at all intended.

• i AM with telstra bigpond.

• the $10 off is for ONE YEAR ONLY (we had $89.95 for a year!!! wow!! now its $99.95!!!)

• they advertise at ADSL2+, they state in ALL their advertisements that the maximum is 20,000kbps. (i get around 17,000kbps and im very close to the exchange).

• telstra SUCKS

sorry to sound rude, im just VERY passionate about it and sharing how bad this company actually is. im glad the stupid CEO has gone back to his country.
Yeah Trujillo made Telstra even worse ... if that's possible.

Telstra broadband being cheaper than Telstra ADSL is a little advertised fact since they're managed as separate depts. Their ADSL dept will anything to keep you from switching over to broadband.

I switched to broadband because my ADSL2 speeds sucked. With broadband I get the advertised max 1Mbs up but more like 10Mbs down. After over 1yr I'm still paying $89.95. In fact, the first 6 months of a new contract or moving over from ADSL you get 50% off. I made the switch last year.
__________________
MP 2010, 27" and 24" CinemaDisplay, MiniServer, MBA 13" Ultimate, TimeCapsule, iPhone 5, ATV 1&2, iPad3 3G, iPad Mini
maestrokev is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 2009, 04:44 AM   #138
richard.mac
macrumors 603
 
richard.mac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: 51.50024, -0.12662
Send a message via Skype™ to richard.mac
Telstra bigpond is not very good. its too expensive for the speeds and data limits you get.

im on Internode ADSL2+ Extreme on for AU$60 a month on a 24 month contract you get

- 24Mbit/s (im getting 5Mbit/s)
- 25 gig download quota (unlimited uploads)
- 5 email accounts
- 50MB webspace
- unmetered content (game patches, game videos and Revision3 HD podcasts)

used to be on Bigpond and for the same monthly price i had ADSL speeds with only 12 gig of download quota.
richard.mac is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 2009, 04:47 AM   #139
maestrokev
macrumors 6502a
 
maestrokev's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by richthomas View Post
telstra bigpond is not very good. its too expensive for the speeds and data limits you get.

im on Internode ADSL2+ Extreme on for AU$60 a month on a 24 month contract you get

- 24Mbit/s (im getting 5Mbyte/s)
- 25 gig download quota (unlimited uploads)
- 5 email accounts
- 50MB webspace
- unmetered content (game patches, videos and HD Revision3 podcasts)

used to be on Bigpond and for the same monthly price i had ADSL speeds with only 12 gig of download quota.
Yeah, I prefer Internode over Telstra, but unfortunately ADSL2 still runs over Telstra's outdated cabling before it hits Internode's DSLAM's so ADSL2 doesn't work for me. Only with cable broadband was I able to see decent speeds. I'll gladly leave Telstra broadband if Internode had broadband in my area.
__________________
MP 2010, 27" and 24" CinemaDisplay, MiniServer, MBA 13" Ultimate, TimeCapsule, iPhone 5, ATV 1&2, iPad3 3G, iPad Mini
maestrokev is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 2009, 04:56 AM   #140
chas0001
macrumors 6502a
 
chas0001's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Alicante, SPAIN
I am on Telefonica's ADSL in Spain.

3 MBit/s (Getting 2.5)
Unlimited Download Quota

They charge €40 a month for ADSL (about $51). Its very expensive, quite slow, but reliable. Unfortunately they control all the telephone lines and their competition charge a similar price for the same speeds. They are also very slow at updating their telephone exchanges.

Don't you just love monopolies.
Attached Images
 
chas0001 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 2009, 05:15 AM   #141
DoFoT9
macrumors P6
 
DoFoT9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: CWB, Hong Kong
Send a message via AIM to DoFoT9 Send a message via MSN to DoFoT9 Send a message via Skype™ to DoFoT9
Quote:
Originally Posted by maestrokev View Post
Yeah Trujillo made Telstra even worse ... if that's possible.

Telstra broadband being cheaper than Telstra ADSL is a little advertised fact since they're managed as separate depts. Their ADSL dept will anything to keep you from switching over to broadband.

I switched to broadband because my ADSL2 speeds sucked. With broadband I get the advertised max 1Mbs up but more like 10Mbs down. After over 1yr I'm still paying $89.95. In fact, the first 6 months of a new contract or moving over from ADSL you get 50% off. I made the switch last year.
Trujillo = badness!!

what is the difference between broadband and ADSL?? they are the same no? i thought it was broadband ADSL... or is broadband cable?

Quote:
Originally Posted by richthomas View Post
Telstra bigpond is not very good. its too expensive for the speeds and data limits you get.

im on Internode ADSL2+ Extreme on for AU$60 a month on a 24 month contract you get

- 24Mbit/s (im getting 5Mbit/s)
- 25 gig download quota (unlimited uploads)
- 5 email accounts
- 50MB webspace
- unmetered content (game patches, game videos and Revision3 HD podcasts)

used to be on Bigpond and for the same monthly price i had ADSL speeds with only 12 gig of download quota.
even internode isnt that good... TPG is excellent for downloading, 200gb per month i think is a great deal considering the price of everybody else. for $50 my friend gets 25gb at the gold coast which is pretty decent.

i wish naked DSL would hurry up and get cheaper.

Quote:
Originally Posted by maestrokev View Post
Yeah, I prefer Internode over Telstra, but unfortunately ADSL2 still runs over Telstra's outdated cabling before it hits Internode's DSLAM's so ADSL2 doesn't work for me. Only with cable broadband was I able to see decent speeds. I'll gladly leave Telstra broadband if Internode had broadband in my area.
wish we had cable in our area, but even if we did get it the speeds would be around 20mBit, so hardly an upgrade at all.. i just want more data and faster upload speeds!!! 1Mbps upload is PATHETIC.

we are seeing some people on here with 50Mbps upload, and even 100Mbps download.. they are paying around the same as us and its insane.
__________________
Official MacRumors IRC @ irc.krono.net #macrumors (Or http://kewlirc.net:9090/)
2012 2.5GHz Mac Mini Dual - 16GB RAM
Win8 PC - i5-3570k - 16GB RAM - SSD
DoFoT9 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 2009, 05:21 AM   #142
maestrokev
macrumors 6502a
 
maestrokev's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoFoT9 View Post
Trujillo = badness!!

what is the difference between broadband and ADSL?? they are the same no? i thought it was broadband ADSL... or is broadband cable?

we are seeing some people on here with 50Mbps upload, and even 100Mbps download.. they are paying around the same as us and its insane.
Sorry, should be more specific, broadband cable. Broadband can be cable or adsl.

What home provider is giving 100/50 in Aus? How much are they paying?
__________________
MP 2010, 27" and 24" CinemaDisplay, MiniServer, MBA 13" Ultimate, TimeCapsule, iPhone 5, ATV 1&2, iPad3 3G, iPad Mini
maestrokev is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 2009, 05:23 AM   #143
DoFoT9
macrumors P6
 
DoFoT9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: CWB, Hong Kong
Send a message via AIM to DoFoT9 Send a message via MSN to DoFoT9 Send a message via Skype™ to DoFoT9
Quote:
Originally Posted by maestrokev View Post
Sorry, should be more specific, broadband cable. Broadband can be cable or adsl.
ok that makes sense, no biggy.

Quote:
What home provider is giving 100/50 in Aus? How much are they paying?
i should have been more specific too you cant get that in australia. i was just saying we are seeing 100/50 on this forum.
__________________
Official MacRumors IRC @ irc.krono.net #macrumors (Or http://kewlirc.net:9090/)
2012 2.5GHz Mac Mini Dual - 16GB RAM
Win8 PC - i5-3570k - 16GB RAM - SSD
DoFoT9 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 2009, 05:29 AM   #144
maestrokev
macrumors 6502a
 
maestrokev's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoFoT9 View Post
ok that makes sense, no biggy.

i should have been more specific too you cant get that in australia. i was just saying we are seeing 100/50 on this forum.
It's painful when I go back to Sydney as I'm used to cheap internet in Vancouver - and no contracts.

This is my Cdn ISP. Would cost me CDN$180/month to get 50Mbs down! Best part is that upload and download limits are separate and with cloud computing I store tons online.

Always looking for a new ISP in Sydney as I've got another 9 months left on my 2yr contract.
__________________
MP 2010, 27" and 24" CinemaDisplay, MiniServer, MBA 13" Ultimate, TimeCapsule, iPhone 5, ATV 1&2, iPad3 3G, iPad Mini
maestrokev is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 2009, 05:35 AM   #145
DoFoT9
macrumors P6
 
DoFoT9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: CWB, Hong Kong
Send a message via AIM to DoFoT9 Send a message via MSN to DoFoT9 Send a message via Skype™ to DoFoT9
Quote:
Originally Posted by maestrokev View Post
It's painful when I go back to Sydney as I'm used to cheap internet in Vancouver - and no contracts.

This is my Cdn ISP. Would cost me CDN$180/month to get 50Mbs down! Best part is that upload and download limits are separate and with cloud computing I store tons online.

Always looking for a new ISP in Sydney as I've got another 9 months left on my 2yr contract.
hhhmm that is fairly expensive i guess, but for the download speed and the data its unbelievable.

the biggest downloads i have seen is from a company called TPG, at 200gb/ADSL2+. the problem is you get 60gb on peak (9am-4am) and 120gb offpeak (4am-9am). basically gives you 5 hours a day to download a massive load of stuff. RIDICULOUS!

they charge AU$80 ($65CA) per month, and of course in this rip off of a country both downloads AND uploads count towards your usage. oh and you get capped to 64k/64k when you go over

great...
__________________
Official MacRumors IRC @ irc.krono.net #macrumors (Or http://kewlirc.net:9090/)
2012 2.5GHz Mac Mini Dual - 16GB RAM
Win8 PC - i5-3570k - 16GB RAM - SSD
DoFoT9 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 2009, 06:27 AM   #146
neiltc13
macrumors 68040
 
neiltc13's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006


I am on O2 Broadband "Access" in the UK. This is O2's broadband product for people who live outwith their ADSL2+ coverage area, and it is provided over the standard British Telecom ADSL network.

The advertised speed is "up to 8mbit/sec" and I do (at the correct times) see speeds of up to about 7mbit/sec.

Performance in the last few weeks though has been terrible. In the evenings it can drop below 1mbit/sec, which I really think is not on.

If anyone from the UK is reading this, please visit Sam Knows and enter your town name, post code or telephone number. On the right you will see a table which lists "LLU Operator Presence". These are the providers who have installed their equipment in your local telephone exchange. By going with them you usually get much better performance (many of them are ADSL2+ instead of ADSL) and much lower monthly fees.

Unfortunately for me though:
neiltc13 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 2009, 06:36 AM   #147
Peace
macrumors P6
 
Peace's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Space--The ONLY Frontier
4AM :-)

Peace is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 2009, 06:38 AM   #148
Bennieboy©
macrumors 65816
 
Bennieboy©'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: england
Send a message via MSN to Bennieboy©


not sure about those numbers lol, downloading torrents thru opera and the speeds i see on those are kinda confusing lmao .oO( fastest torrent speed so far peaked at 22,000Kpbs or there abouts )Oo. and that was during the day
__________________
Macrumors IRC: irc.krono.net room #macrumors download Colloquy or Adium
Search before you post: MRoogle
Bennieboy© is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 2009, 06:38 AM   #149
wfoster
macrumors 6502a
 
wfoster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Plymouth, UK
wfoster is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 2009, 09:15 AM   #150
stridemat
Moderator
 
stridemat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Southampton, UK
I feel your pain, Im with O2 Access too. It is meant to be up to 8mb/s. I work during the day and this is the only time when the internet is actually useable. By the time I get home its like this:-



Hardly better than dial-up, and with that ping, gaming is near impossible. Hopefully they fix it soon as I used to get great speeds. Im am seriously jealous of some of you guys speed!!!
__________________
stridemat is offline   0 Reply With Quote


Reply
MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Picture Gallery

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Post your 3g speed w/ 2.0.1 update bubbagumpshrimp iPhone 39 Aug 9, 2008 09:42 AM
iPod Touch: Post your NEW SpringBoards! Part Two mavis Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks 114 May 15, 2008 10:49 AM
Post Your Connection Speed amacgenius Picture Gallery 1015 Feb 15, 2008 04:50 PM
How do you check your connection speed? Mala Mac OS X 10.3 (Panther) Discussion 11 Apr 8, 2004 11:41 PM
Monitoring your connect speed Horse Mac Applications and Mac App Store 7 Jun 17, 2003 08:00 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:12 AM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC