Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

theprizefight

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 29, 2006
So I hit customize toolbar to get rid of a button on my Safari toolbar. The window didn't pop up like it was supposed to, so I tried clicking around, and clicked the address bar and it disappeared.

Now even after a restart, I can't get the customize toolbar dialog to come up, therefore I can't get my address bar back.

Anyone have any ideas?

This is on 10.5.2 by the way.

theprizefight

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 29, 2006
thats the problem. my customize won't work. the window to customize never pops up. is there a way to reinstall safari?

JNB

macrumors 604
:apple:-Shift-| (pipe, above the \)

Attachments

• Google Image Result for http___www.internet4classrooms.com_mac_ext.gif.jpg
    Google Image Result for http___www.internet4classrooms.com_mac_ext.gif.jpg
    66.1 KB · Views: 2,035

theprizefight

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 29, 2006
hodgy: can you tell me where the preference file is?

and clevin: I did download the webkit, and it does the exact same thing.

the 1st attachment is how it looks at startup.
the 2nd attachment is how it looks after I do Cmd-Shift-|

Attachments

• Picture 1.png
    Picture 1.png
    29.9 KB · Views: 3,524
  • Picture 2.png
    Picture 2.png
    39.1 KB · Views: 2,824

theprizefight

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 29, 2006
ok i found and deleted the safari preference file. now my address bar is back, so thanks very much!

however, my customize dialog still doesnt come up for some reason..seems very strange..

unknownboy590

macrumors newbie
Jul 15, 2009
i have the answer

Open up your safari browser and press the button F10 on your keyboard and your menu bar should show up. click on view and then click on show toolbar and there you go!

Mal

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2002
Orlando
Try hitting Cmd-L on your keyboard. That will move the cursor focus to the address bar. I tried hiding mine and then hitting Cmd-L and it brought it back.

Short of that, try re-installing Safari (from the link above) and if that doesn't work, an Archive and Install of 10.5.

jW

kittykakes

macrumors newbie
Dec 22, 2010
How to get Address Bar back.

What you do is you go to the top where it says "view" then go down to "customize toolbar" then go down to where it says "drag default set" and drag it to where the address bar is missing and then it'll show back up ;)

Ellen C

macrumors newbie
Aug 27, 2011
What you do is you go to the top where it says "view" then go down to "customize toolbar" then go down to where it says "drag default set" and drag it to where the address bar is missing and then it'll show back up ;)

Thank you Kittykakes! It was so simple! x:)

grail10

macrumors newbie
Nov 2, 2011
getting mac safari toolbar back

first open safari
then click view
then show/ hide bbokmark bar ihad the same problem btw and messed around until i got it

coogi

macrumors newbie
Dec 13, 2011
The actual solution to the problem posted

Right click at the top of the window and a popup menu should... pop up, that says "customize toolbar", click on that, and then drag the section titled "... or drag the default set into the toolbar" into where the address bar used to be. That should do it. And Childish Gambino and Kanye are bomb.

cattleya15

macrumors newbie
Jul 6, 2012
Me too....

WHERE IS THE SAFARI PREFERENCE FILE?? .....

:( .... i almost want to cry now :'( .... what should i do....:(

JONNYBOY122

macrumors newbie
Jan 14, 2013
How to make you search bar and web address bar pop back up.

What you have to do is get on your safari and got to the tab at the top of the page that say (VIEW) then click (CUSTOMIZE TOOLBAR) after just drag and drop your bars back in place. this took me forever to figure out.

marianthi

macrumors newbie
Nov 5, 2015
I am having the same probplem with my toolbar, it one day decided to disappear, but when I drag it it doesnt show up! I've done this about 20 times.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.