Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jmdeegan

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 17, 2007
I have tried to get straight answers, and i think I've gotten correct info sometimes but other info confuses me, so here goes

I have a 10 yr old tv, only inputs are RCA. Most tell me no, the apple tv wont work at all using that tv. some have said it can be done.

which group is right?

i have other tvs in the house which are hdtv capable, but in my room where i want the apple tv, i got the crappy tv lol. plus, there will be times when it travels with me, and the rooms mostly have lcd or plasma. so i know it would work then, just trying to see if it would be able to be hacked to run on RCA jacks, or if theres some way to do that....

Alfie

macrumors regular
Feb 22, 2004
South Dakota
Sorry, it won't work. You've got to have component video inputs (or HDMI) for your video connection. You don't necessarily need a widescreen tv, but you do have to have the right video connections to make it work.

aross99

macrumors 68000
Dec 17, 2006
East Lansing, MI
Out of the box the Apple TV requires a Component or HDMI input. note that Component is the connection that uses the Red/Green/Blue RCA connectors for Video, and NOT the Yellow that is used for Composite video.

If you are really into hacking your Apple TV, you can force the unit to pass Composite video (ie the yellow connector) out through one of the COmponent video outputs on the Apple TV.

However, this involves loading a modified version of OS X on the Apple TV and is not for the faint of heart...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.