Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Mac Basics and Help

Old Feb 16, 2008, 09:28 AM   #1
coen
macrumors newbie

Importing Minidisc audio in Mac

I have a portable MD recorder from Sharp: MD.MT886.
I want to import the audio content of the minidiscs ontop my MacBook. When i plug it in (via a 3,5 mm - 3.5 mm audiocable) my Mac doesn't see the device, nor do I hear any sound.

How can I import the MD audio content in my Mac?

Thanks for helping me
coen is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16, 2008, 09:52 AM   #2
Sesshi
Banned

You have to take a piece of software which records sound.
Like Audacity. http://audacity.sourceforge.net/

Put your Minidisc into Line Out mode. Whether your MD has a line out mode depends on the manufacturer. If it doesn't, set it to full volume and turn off all EQ.
Hit record in Audacity.
Press Play on your Minidisc.
Let it play for a minute or so, and check the recording to make sure the levels are OK.
Do it again.
This time, wait until Minidisc finishes.
Stop the recording in Audacity, spend ages cutting it up into tracks.

Or:
If you're going to do a lot of this you can buy the flagship Hi-MD (and the only one to be able to upload MD recordings), install Boot Camp + Windows on your Mac, install Sonicstage and upload your MD's via USB. Whether you want to spend ~$500 total on doing this is of course your choice.
Sesshi is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2008, 11:22 AM   #3
coen
macrumors newbie

MD to Mac

I have downloaded audacity, connected my portable MD recorder to the Mac INTEL audio in, and.nothing... Connected it to the headphone plug... nothing again. No sound, no file or device visible anywhere. The MD recorder does put out audio, since I can listen to it with headphones directly from the recorder.
I checked the manual for using audacity on their wiki and found that my Mac does not give me all the buttons and options they describe. So I can't really get it to work. There is no "record" button to be found anywhere for instance.
What can go wrong here?
Old Feb 19, 2008, 11:25 AM   #4
hobbbz
macrumors 6502a

check you mac's audio settings be sure it's set to line-in and not internal mic.

secondly you'll probably have to create a new project in audacity before the record button shows up.
Old Feb 24, 2008, 10:49 AM   #5
coen
macrumors newbie

creating tracks / import in iTunes

Thanks, the Audacity wiki told me to select the 'inbuilt mic', changing it to 'inbuilt input' made it work. I can import my MD audio and listen to it. I want to split it up into tracks now. Again what the audacity wiki tells me doesn't work. I can't type a name after the command "project/add label" , neither does a 'label track' appear underneath the main track.
I also want to import the audacity files into iTunes, but iTunes doesn't import them (I imported them in AIFF format).
Have you got more useful suggestions?
Old Feb 24, 2008, 11:33 AM   #6
catchdry
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by coen View Post
Thanks, the Audacity wiki told me to select the 'inbuilt mic', changing it to 'inbuilt input' made it work. I can import my MD audio and listen to it. I want to split it up into tracks now. Again what the audacity wiki tells me doesn't work. I can't type a name after the command "project/add label" , neither does a 'label track' appear underneath the main track.
I also want to import the audacity files into iTunes, but iTunes doesn't import them (I imported them in AIFF format).
Have you got more useful suggestions?
Upgrade to Quick Time Pro. Then you can record it by playing your minidisc and at the same time record it in QT. After that you can export it to iTunes. Record song by song. That is the easyest way.
iPod Touch 8 GB
iPod Classic 80 GB
iPod Mini 4 GB
catchdry is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Mac Basics and Help