Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Deezer-D

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 30, 2005
Belfast
I currently have a MBP and a Lacie Porsche 250Gb USB external drive which I use with Time Machine for my backups. I will be buying an iMac in a couple of weeks as the family computer which will be used for photos, muic etc. Question is, would I be better buying another external drive for the iMac to backup to or can I use the one drive for both Macs?
I realise I'll run out of space pretty quickly and I'll eventually need a bigger drive but 500Gb can be had for about £75.
Any help greatly appreciated
D

chocolate632

macrumors 6502
Oct 27, 2007
http://www.apple.com/macosx/features/timemachine.html

"The moment you choose a Time Machine drive, a single folder is created on the drive. Inside this folder is a subfolder for each Mac being backed up. (Yes, multiple Mac systems can share the same backup drive.) And within each subfolder is another list of folders — one for every backup performed on that Mac. Time Machine uses a standard file system to store all of its information. Nothing hidden anywhere."

So yes you can use two machines on one hard drive, but your going to have to buy another one because time machine needs an external hard drive that is bigger than you internal hard drive and im pretty sure the iMac has 250Gb standard.

kolax

macrumors G3
Mar 20, 2007
Yes. 250GB just isn't enough.

Especially if it is going to be the family computer - that means multiple user accounts, and assuming you have kids then they'll want their own music on their account, and it all mounts up.

Deezer-D

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 30, 2005
Belfast
Thanks guys. I'll be ordering the iMac with a 350Gb hard drive so I'll order a 500Gb backup drive. I could also replace the drive in h Lacie enclosure for another 500Gb one - has anyone done this?
Cheers
D

kolax

macrumors G3
Mar 20, 2007
Is your Lacie HD a 2.5" portable drive or a full sized one? If it's a full sized one, replacing it is easy peasy. I've replaced my 320GB Iomega HD with a 500GB hard drive.

Just unscrew the enclosure, unplug the drive's power and IDE cable and put the new one in. It is as easy as replacing a hard drive on a desktop machine.

Deezer-D

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 30, 2005
Belfast
The drive is a full size one. Had a quick look and I don't see an easy way to open it! Just bought a 500Gb Lacie Porsche USB2 to match mine for £72 delivered which is less than I paid for the 250Gb one! I'll eventually upgrade my MBP HD to a 320Gb (only have the 120Gb) so I'll replace the 250Gb HD with a 500Gb one when the time comes.
Has anyone got any tips on opening the Lacie Porsche enclosure?
Cheers
D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.