Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Air

Old Feb 16, 2008, 09:18 PM   #1
barefeats
macrumors 6502a

MacBook Pro adapter works with MacBook Air

I've confirmed that the 85W power adapter for the MacBook Pro works fine with the MacBook Air even though it ships with a 45W adapter. It will not "over drive" the battery. Ditto for the 65W adapter.

Caveat: The statement above is based on info from someone with electrical engineering expertise and familiarity with Apple products. However, when I tried out an 85W adapter on our MacBook Air, it got rather warm on the left underside -- subjectively warmer than when using the 45W adapter. We're going to run further tests and actually measure the enclosure bottom using both a temperature probe and Hardware Monitor and report back to you.

Last edited by barefeats; Feb 17, 2008 at 09:30 AM. Reason: adding caveat and correcting grammar
barefeats is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 2008, 12:47 AM   #2
rogair
macrumors member

Thumbs up

Been using Powerbook adapters to power iBooks for years now. Same thing with the 85w powering the Macbook. Nothing new here, but thanks for the tests.
rogair is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 2008, 12:59 AM   #3
Flyer0815
macrumors regular

Good post... I have been doing this since I bought my MBA. In my office at work I have a Griffin Elevator (the stand that makes your laptop eye-level) on my desk for my MBP. I gave it a shot to see if the power brick would work with my MBA and luckily it did. Only problem is that the angle of the MBP adapter is not like the MBA. It is not a problem if I charge the MBA on the stand, or slightly hanging off the desk.
Flyer0815 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2008, 12:41 AM   #4
ExcelonGT
macrumors regular

the question is...

does the higher wattage charge reduce the charge time on the MBA?
ExcelonGT is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2008, 02:59 AM   #5
maestrokev
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExcelonGT View Post
the question is...

does the higher wattage charge reduce the charge time on the MBA?
Does the 85W MBP adapter charge the Macbook any faster?
Old Mar 3, 2009, 03:46 PM   #6
zirkle2007
macrumors 6502

Send a message via AIM to zirkle2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by maestrokev View Post
Does the 85W MBP adapter charge the Macbook any faster?
Doesn't the 85W step down? I was thinking I read somewhere that it steps down when the MacBook charges through it. Maybe I'm just dumb

MacBook Pro-MacBook-Aluminum iMac-iPhone 3G-iPod touch 8 GB
zirkle2007 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 3, 2009, 03:54 PM   #7
xparaparafreakx
macrumors 65816

Send a message via AIM to xparaparafreakx Send a message via MSN to xparaparafreakx Send a message via Yahoo to xparaparafreakx Send a message via Skype™ to xparaparafreakx
Same charge time. I do the same thing once in awhile when I forgot my macbook air adaptor.
xparaparafreakx is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 3, 2009, 05:20 PM   #8
aleksandra.
macrumors 6502a

http://alexking.org/blog/2008/10/03/...battery-advice

Have anyone noticed what's described here here when charging Air with some other Macbook's adapter?
aleksandra. is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5, 2009, 02:07 AM   #9
tcmacintosh
macrumors regular

I recently asked an apple technician at the repair centre and and he said to me it doesnt matter. He said the voltage is reduced if you used for example a macbook pro charger on a macbook or macbook air. He said the reason apple doesnt just have one standard charger for all the notebook is because of size issues of the battery pack.
tcmacintosh is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Air