Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MikieMikie

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 7, 2007
Newton, MA
Well, I managed a music purchase (double album of Bernard Herrman's essential film music) via my Apple TV today.

When I got to my iMac, I synced and it moved the music to my iMac, too.

All is well.

Seamless, fast, painless, and $20 poorer. :)

MikieMikie

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 7, 2007
Newton, MA
Rejoice! Somewhere, Steve Jobs is smiling!:D

Tell me about it. Like I didn't see it coming with the introduction of the ITMS on my iPhone.

BTW, the iPhone music store purchase was a sad mistake, something I will never again attempt. The AppleTV purchase was an experience I would gladly repeat.

johnguynn

macrumors newbie
Jan 23, 2008
Well, I managed a music purchase (double album of Bernard Herrman's essential film music) via my Apple TV today.

When I got to my iMac, I synced and it moved the music to my iMac, too.

All is well.

Seamless, fast, painless, and $20 poorer. :)

Have you checked out amazonmp3.com? That's what I've been using lately and I am very happy with the experience. The music is generally a little bit cheaper and there's no Digital Rights Management to worry about. Plus it's a pretty seamless operation.

MikieMikie

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 7, 2007
Newton, MA
Have you checked out amazonmp3.com? That's what I've been using lately and I am very happy with the experience. The music is generally a little bit cheaper and there's no Digital Rights Management to worry about. Plus it's a pretty seamless operation.

Yes, and the album I purchased on the ITMS is available on Amazon for $.01 cheaper than on iTunes. The iTunes version was DRM free. So, it was worth the extra penny to me to continue to imprint my butt on my couch and do the purchase right there. Plus, by the time I found the music in the My Music section of my Apple TV, it was ready for playback. Talk about instant gratification!

I also thought it was cool that I didn't have to buy it from my computer. Apple did a nice job with the ITMS <- -> :apple:TV <- -> Mac.

They did a really sucky job with the iPhone downloading and syncing of purchased music. As I said, I won't be making that mistake again.

FreeState

macrumors 68000
Jun 24, 2004
San Diego, CA
They did a really sucky job with the iPhone downloading and syncing of purchased music. As I said, I won't be making that mistake again.

It has been easy for me on the iPhone - I have about 10 albums I have purchased on the phone without a problem - each and every time the album has synced back to the computer without a problem - easier than with the AppleTV IMO. With the TV I had to tell it to sync, with the phone all I do is plug it in and it does it automatically. Guess it depends on your setup.

MikieMikie

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 7, 2007
Newton, MA
It has been easy for me on the iPhone - I have about 10 albums I have purchased on the phone without a problem - each and every time the album has synced back to the computer without a problem - easier than with the AppleTV IMO. With the TV I had to tell it to sync, with the phone all I do is plug it in and it does it automatically. Guess it depends on your setup.

Interesting, and I am glad to hear your experience was (and continues to be) a positive one. When I purchased an album on my iPhone, it did not succeed in downloading the entire album. When I synced, it put the already-downloaded music into a "my iPhone Purchased Music" folder, and then went about downloading the rest of the album, which it placed in a separate "Purchased Music" folder. I could never join the two folders, and could not successfully create a playlist from these tunes.

At some point, iTunes upgraded itself and the problems went away. Perhaps the problem was with iTunes and not the iPhone.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.